Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 9,850 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of planning a move from Jacksonville, FL to the Orange County Area as part of a promotion at work. My company's office is in Costa Mesa, right across the street from South Coast Plaza. I have been in town for the last week and have had a chance to look at about a dozen apartments, and Ive narrowed it down to two. The first is in the Huntington Beach area, near the intersection of Bolsa Chica & Heil. From driving around the area appears to be mostly SFH with TH and apartments scattered throughout.

The second apartment Im considering is in the South Coast Metro area, at the instersection of Sunflower and Flower. Its about $150 per month less expensive, and only a mile from work so I would plan on walking to work. I drive a full size pickup, so it should save me a good bit on fuel costs.

Does anyone have any input on either of these two areas? Ive visited both properties, but its hard to really get a feel for an area walking around an apartment complex for an hour. Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 AM

583 posts, read 884,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilv View Post
Does anyone have any input on either of these two areas? Ive visited both properties, but its hard to really get a feel for an area walking around an apartment complex for an hour. Any input would be appreciated!
In evaluating an apartment complex, sit in the lot for a while after dark.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
In evaluating an apartment complex, sit in the lot for a while after dark.
I tried this in the past, it does nto usually tell you anythig. Most nights there is no one around.

I like the South Coast Metro area. It is excitign and fun. Lots of good places to walk to, but the walking is not super pleasant, you are mostly on the sidewalk right next to heavy traffic. In general, it is a nic enough area with more young singles than many parts of OC. Ther is a little big of nightlife in the area, mostly hotel bars or places int he mall Biroporettis and the like (still there? Have not been in a while). Still there are some neat places.

I do not know the other area you are consdiering.

One thing I can tell you with certainty. In OC (and probably all of S.C.), the shorter your commute, the better your overall quality of life. Once I discovered this I either moved my home, or convinced my business to move to a place near my home. Best time ever, I was less than a mile from work and could walk or ride my bike. I could also be at my desk in less than half an hour after getting out of bed.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Go to the nearest grocery store and see who shops there.

Those are your future neighbors.

If you don't like what you see, don't live there.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:04 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Go to the nearest grocery store and see who shops there.

Those are your future neighbors.

If you don't like what you see, don't live there.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
I lived in Huntington Beach for two years and loved it, but it's a HUGE city -- as in, lots of people, very spread-out and lots of traffic even though there are six-lane streets all over the place. (Welcome to CA!) Anyway, some of the more "inland" areas of HB can be sketchy and I don't recall that specific area (Bolsa Chica/Heil) but I see there's a Starbucks on the corner. To me, that's always a good sign. Sorry I can't be of more help, but congrats on the promo and move to CA -- exciting!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:49 PM

5 posts, read 9,850 times
Thanks for the help everyone. One of my new co-workers has a friend that lives in the apartment complex near Southcoast and was happy with the place so considering the proximity work I went with that. In back home in FL now, can't wait to get back out west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County