Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM

140 posts, read 504,364 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm considering living in Huntington Beach or Seal Beach......

How would you describe the diffences between the two. What are some pro and cons?

Also, I'm single, 29 year old male, and will be making 50k. So I won't be rich but won't be poor. I'll be living in a cheapest apartment I can find in those two cities, or have roomates until I find a girlfriend or wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
The simplest way to put it is that Seal Beach is more of a slow relaxed beach atmosphere(family friendly) while Huntington is where all the people that haven't given up on their college partying(or are still in college) go, though the atmosphere is a bit different around Huntington Harbor(more like Seal).

Basically, if you like it laid back, Seal Beach. If you like a more lively atmosphere, Huntington

Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Seal Beach is very laid back.
Huntington BEach has different areas. Most of the city is very family oriented. The Harbour Area is laid back.
Downtown is essentially a college town without a college (and a retarded commuter population).

Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 AM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,414 times
Seal Beach is nicer and I wished we bought there. We picked Huntington Beach and wished we didn't. Huntington Beach is Stanton with sand. Seal Beach is very nice.

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 06-27-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-27-2012, 03:04 PM

140 posts, read 504,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldwestgambler View Post
Seal Beach is nicer and I wished we bought there. We picked Huntington Beach and wished we didn't. Huntington Beach is Stanton with sand. Seal Beach is very nice.
What does that mean...what don't you like about stanton.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:59 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJerseyBorn View Post
Ignore that. There are sections of Huntington Beach that resemble Stanton (think Oak View, a heavily Latino area in the northern part of the city), but most of the city is not like Stanton. Actually, not all of Stanton is like the Beach Blvd. section that I presume the poster had in mind. Huntington Beach, for one, is quite a bit more expensive than Stanton and most of the other inland cities as far as housing prices go.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Location: OC, Big Bear Lake, Las Vegas NV, Laughlin NV, Palm Desert CA
113 posts, read 422,414 times
Quote:
Stanton is pretty ghetto. I think there isn't a lot to like about it. Stanton does serve a purpose. It helps keep other cities property values and rents higher. I have driven around Stanton off Beach Blvd and I'm sorry, it doesn't get much better even in the residential areas. I can't imagine why someone would pick Stanton if they can afford a nicer and safer city. Do you really want your friends and family to visit you in Stanton? Really?

Last edited by Oldwestgambler; 07-06-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,464,115 times
Quote:
Hi, I'm considering living in Huntington Beach or Seal Beach......

How would you describe the diffences between the two. What are some pro and cons?

Also, I'm single, 29 year old male, and will be making 50k. So I won't be rich but won't be poor. I'll be living in a cheapest apartment I can find in those two cities, or have roomates until I find a girlfriend or wife.
I would chose HB if I were you.

Seal Beach is dominated by 2 groups - families & seniors. It is home to the original Leisure World, one of the first post war planned retirement communities so that big concentration of seniors heavily flavors the community vibe. It is also a sought out area for families, so I think on average it would be more expensive then HB and has more SFR and fewer apartments then HB.

HB has alot younger vibe - sometimes to young for some poeple. The closer you get to "downtown" - the area off main street by the pier and ocean - the younger it seems to get.

$1500 is tight for an OC beach community. Also there are some complexes in HB, particularly near slater and beach blvds.- AKA the "Slater Slums" - that have mexican immigrants families jammed into apartments and stacked up like cordwood. So be careful where you rent at.

Lastly, you did'nt mention where your work would be, but try to get as close to your job as you can. Quality of life in SoCal is inverse to the length of your commute. If you are thinking of moving here w/o a job, reconsider. The job market is realy bad here right now.

Good Luck!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM

77 posts, read 154,135 times
Hey, NJersey, let me translate into Jersey for you (I speak Jersey). Huntington Beach is like a really nice, but bigger Point Pleasant. Seal Beach is like a really nice, but bigger Manasquan. That help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County