U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 PM
 
590 posts, read 1,066,980 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

I am wondering how you had both hands on the wheel. And your eyes on the road at the same day you were changing your gps even a little bit

I wouldnt even waste your time fighting this. The cop likely was filming you. From behind. And bet your head was turned to the sidecand he saw your right hand off the wheel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2012, 06:25 PM
 
2,179 posts, read 4,333,488 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurserosie View Post
I am wondering how you had both hands on the wheel. And your eyes on the road at the same day you were changing your gps even a little bit

I wouldnt even waste your time fighting this. The cop likely was filming you. From behind. And bet your head was turned to the sidecand he saw your right hand off the wheel

I'm going to give it the college try. I will try to negotiate jail time instead of paying he $170 if possible. Maybe even get some health things taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 07:27 PM
 
590 posts, read 1,066,980 times
Reputation: 169
I sure hope you are joking about jail tome

Firstly. Our jails are so overcrowded even real felons rarely get much time

Secondly. Jails are not country clubs. Doubt you would like it

Thirdly. Get medical problems taken care of? Are you kidding? About the only medical care u might get is if you got a burst appendix. Anything else. Forget about it.

Borrow the 170 bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM
 
2,179 posts, read 4,333,488 times
Reputation: 977
So then I should ask for jail time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 10:38 PM
 
590 posts, read 1,066,980 times
Reputation: 169
Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Florida Gulf Coast
4,388 posts, read 5,893,917 times
Reputation: 7057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
The cop got me from behind...
There is a big difference IMO between texting someone back and forth using both your hands, and just pressing 2 buttons to turn my navigation and click alternative route while having both hands on my wheel with my eyes still on it, but of course my opinion doesn't matter because the government is broke and wants to collect $$$.

You can actually get a ticket for drinking water while driving according to the police officer. The distracted driver law sees no difference between talking on the phone, changing a radio station, drinking coffee, turning on a GPS, etc. Technically sneezing should be up there because don't people have to close their eyes when they sneeze due to nerves LMAO?

Yes people can get distracted making it unsafe on the road, but I wasn't driving unsafely!

I also have NEVER been distracted when I have answered a phone and spoke to someone while driving. I never dialed a number and I end up having the phone on speaker, but again won't be doing that any longer!

The only things that I can not do while driving which does make me very distracted would be:
eating while driving
having a lot of people in the car
texting (I admit I have texted during red lights but IMMEDIATELY stopped when it turned green- but I won't be doing that anymore!)


I will most likely end up losing and having to pay the $170 since YES, I did break the law. I am willing to go drive all that way to try to reason with a judge. I would even consider spending a few nights in jail if it means not paying it because I feel getting a ticket for this when I am not distracted is so fricken stupid! I was probably a better driver on the road than people who did appear completely focused!


I want to end up buying a bluetooth since I have 2 ill relatives, but I could see in a year that, that too ends up becoming illegal by some means.
I wouldn't even try that argument with the judge. You had both hands on the wheel while pushing buttons on your phone? You had your eyes on the road the entire time while you were pushing the button for alternative route? Obviously, you were doing something that was blatantly obvious to the cop who was BEHIND you, not even next to you.

I know you think you are driving safely, but I can tell you there is a difference between, say, changing a radio button and focusing your eyes to read the screen of a phone. I also think talking on a cell phone, even hands-free, is a distraction. You've never missed an exit because you're on the phone? I sure have. I usually make it a point never to be on the phone if I'm in traffic or a construction zone or an area I'm not familiar with -- too "distracting".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2012, 10:56 AM
 
121 posts, read 197,232 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I'm going to give it the college try. I will try to negotiate jail time instead of paying he $170 if possible. Maybe even get some health things taken care of.
Are you out of your mind???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 12:37 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 4,333,488 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I wouldn't even try that argument with the judge. You had both hands on the wheel while pushing buttons on your phone? You had your eyes on the road the entire time while you were pushing the button for alternative route? Obviously, you were doing something that was blatantly obvious to the cop who was BEHIND you, not even next to you.

I know you think you are driving safely, but I can tell you there is a difference between, say, changing a radio button and focusing your eyes to read the screen of a phone. I also think talking on a cell phone, even hands-free, is a distraction. You've never missed an exit because you're on the phone? I sure have. I usually make it a point never to be on the phone if I'm in traffic or a construction zone or an area I'm not familiar with -- too "distracting".

I didn't have both hands on it.

I have never missed an exit actually due to the phone. I RARELY even before the law, spoke on the phone while driving. If it couldn't wait, I would immediately press speaker with one hand and have the phone down.

People have different distractors. I have a hard time driving with many people in the car, but have never had a problem talking on my phone or adjusting my GPS.

I disagree with your post on comments related to me since you weren't there (if the police did take video by all means, I would LOVE for him to play it so people could see I wasn't distracted).

I do think though that buying Bluetooth might be legal for now, but mark my words, that will be made illegal soon.

Like I said, I will probably lose in court. I would rather just go to jail for a few days than pay the fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 12:50 AM
 
2,179 posts, read 4,333,488 times
Reputation: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Jack View Post
Are you out of your mind???
No. I'm having problems with my teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 AM
 
590 posts, read 1,066,980 times
Reputation: 169
Yikes! Your naïveté is frightening to say the least

Let's say u actually are sent to jail for a few days. Which I highly doubt

Do you really think needing dental work will be their priority? As I said. Maybe a ruptured appendix.

Your attitude that you did nothing wrong. That "you". Are not distracted. Etc etc is laughable at best

Lastly. Have you even considered that being in jail will be on your record forever!,

Again

Keep your mouth shut. Bring the money and act sincerely remorseful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top