Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,840 times

Advertisements

I want to move to somewhere near the coast in O.C. I live in a beautiful coastal city - artsy, touristy, safe, nice restaurants and bars, shops, and near the water. Problem is six months of cold weather, sometimes below 25 degrees for weeks on end! (see photo) Burrrr! I want to live in a similar type area, but warm all year with low humidity, so Orange county is the place for me!!! I lived in La Jolla in 1996-97, but San Diego area just didn't seem like a fit, but close! I read O.C. is expensive, but I'll find a way to make it!!! I'm a single woman, a bit over 40 with a cute Jack Russell, so dog friendly is a must. I want a place were I can walk my dog, bike ride, have a glass of wine or dinner with friends, go for coffee at little cafes, something sort of like La Jolla would be nice. I'll probably need to do a tiny place or roommate to start. Is Laguna Beach good or Newport Beach or where? My dog and I need a fresh start after crummy things that have happened in the past few years depleted funds so, we are going on a wing and a prayer!! I'm not sure what resources are good to help learn the area before heading out. I'm praying for any help that anyone could give: advice, suggestions on areas to live, photos, what newspapers, local magazines or area maps to get, or absolutely anything that will help us learn about which location to head to. I look forward to your comments. And if anyone feels inspired to send a postcard or anything that would help, mail to: Jasper and Kay, 18 Harris St, Newburyport, MA, 01950 or email photos to jasperandk@yahoo.com. Thanks so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
OC - save a gal from freezing in Massachusetts!!-burrrrr.jpg   OC - save a gal from freezing in Massachusetts!!-jaspersdeck.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:24 AM

124 posts, read 734,206 times
If you like Newburyport in the summer then you'll absolutely LOVE Orange County.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Wow I hope that's a mailbox and not your actual address. I sure wouldn't post my address on a public message board.

Oh, and Laguna Beach should work. Bring a couple of million bucks.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 AM

110 posts, read 440,137 times
OC is in no way shape or form a "similar area" to the MA coast. We had a very similar experience. Moved to SD in 01 and just didn't like it. We were used to cities on the east coast. SD is a huge suburb linked with freeways. OC is like that just much worse. We moved here thinking it would be better. It's not.

You're not going to live anywhere that is perfect, I realize that. But, I'll take 4 months of cold to be with genuinely warm people any day. My advice is to come and stay a couple weeks and see for yourself. If you didn't like SD you won't like OC. From one north easter to another.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 AM

499 posts, read 2,157,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slang75 View Post
You're not going to live anywhere that is perfect, I realize that. But, I'll take 4 months of cold to be with genuinely warm people any day. My advice is to come and stay a couple weeks and see for yourself. If you didn't like SD you won't like OC. From one north easter to another.
So have you met everyone in Orange County then?
Seeing as how you've decided none of us are genuinely warm

Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
I will never advocate someone coming to OC with low funds, OC is expensive. Contrary to popular belief OC is not that Pet friendly, ever heard of Pet Rent? You will pay it here as well as a huge deposit. You will find places don't leave bowls of water out for dogs, many streets in OC aren't really accepting to dog traffic. Basically there are dog parks where you take your dog to.

I will echo what slang75 said, if you didn't like La Jolla I really don't think you will like OC. They are basically the same type of areas. However, La Jolla is better than OC if you ask me, it is more artsy, more cultural, more touristy, it has better bars, shops and closer to a big city than OC.

Seriously give this some thought and definitely come here and visit for at least a week or two before.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:46 AM

110 posts, read 440,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
So have you met everyone in Orange County then?
Seeing as how you've decided none of us are genuinely warm
Where did I say that none of you were warm? I'm 100% sure I'm generalizing here. It's my experience that people here are not as real or "warm" as the north east. My father-in-law used the terms robotic and materialistic to describe people in orange county. And, he's a 30 year resident that likes it here.

I'm sure you're a perfectly warm person. You did, after all, put a smiley face in your message.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 16,718 times
Most of the best coastal towns here are similar in make-up to La Jolla. Laguna, Corona Del Mar, Newport. They all feel pretty similar to me.
I like it because I grew up here its familiar to me... you may not. There is a different vibe east to west coast. I agree w/ mach50. Try to come visit for a few weeks. It is a pretty big commitment you would be making!

Good Luck!

Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 PM

198 posts, read 931,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slang75 View Post
Where did I say that none of you were warm? I'm 100% sure I'm generalizing here. It's my experience that people here are not as real or "warm" as the north east. My father-in-law used the terms robotic and materialistic to describe people in orange county. And, he's a 30 year resident that likes it here.

I'm sure you're a perfectly warm person. You did, after all, put a smiley face in your message.

I think I'm pretty warm--and, minus a couple ding-a-lings, all my friends are, too! ^_^

But my friends and I aren't exactly the poster children for "the O.C." I'm half Asian and they're pretty much all non-White, and we all know "the O.C." doesn't have anyone that isn't White--at least on TV. Darn TV. >_<

Old 09-28-2007, 01:20 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YLresident View Post
we all know "the O.C." doesn't have anyone that isn't White--at least on TV. Darn TV. >_<
I laughed at this.....I grew up in the OC and all these silly shows....The Hills, OC, Laguna Beach, etc..... give Orange County a bad name. There is actually a lot of diversity there and it is a shame just to focus on a few square miles and make it seem if that is all there is to a huge county.

Mass Gal.....I would not make a big move there based on a show, a short visit to one area, or on a fantasy that may be in your mind. Please don't take that wrong.....I say in all sincerity, it is a much different world than what is portrayed on the tube.

If you do make the move....good luck to you and your cute doggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County