Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,324,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
I think they'd only cover utilities, water, trash, etc. if it's a condo, right? I never saw any of that looking at houses, and I'm sure the sellers would have touted it if it were the case...
Even in condo, I'd be surprised if they covered your water unless it was an old crappy complex that was originally built as apartments without individual meters. If you have trash dumpsters instead of individual cans, I'd expect that to be covered by the HOA. I've heard of insurance and basic cable being included with HOA dues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:20 AM

193 posts, read 307,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
Can anyone tell me why there are so many HOAs and seemingly so few "independent" homes in SoCal? Here in the Phoenix area they're pretty rare.
Thanks.
This is an easy question to answer... Everyone in California likes to bury their nose in their neighbors butt. No one is happy there unless their minding their neighbors business instead of their own.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:19 PM

415 posts, read 613,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
This is an easy question to answer... Everyone in California likes to bury their nose in their neighbors butt. No one is happy there unless their minding their neighbors business instead of their own.
Given that at least half of all the freestanding homes, townhouses and condos in Salt Lake City suburbia and in the Las Vegas valley seem to be going HOA as well, Californians are not alone in wanting to bury their nose in their neighbors butt.

Bonus, I was in the Salt Lake suburb of Syracuse once visiting this guy I used to know, and was shocked to find out his home was part of a HOA. It was a freestanding house, there were no communal areas or anything, no groundskeeper, it wasn't a walled, gated or guarded community. The roads were publicly maintained. But it had a HOA, so that the neighbors could ensure the neighborhood did not go to pot. He was fined six months after moving in because he hadn't decided what he wanted to do with his lawn, so it was still barren, no grass or pool or anything.

I know of a person who cannot have his girlfriend move in with him unless the HOA approves. His condo. His mortgage. He lives in Vegas. Personally I don't like HOA's but in many cases I don't like the alternatives. The last couple I rented a room from in their house, non-HOA area, had quite a few problems. The neighbors would rent out their homes to either Mexican families or college students. Both groups love to fill the homes beyond capacity to meet rent. We're talking ten cars in front of one house here. Bonus, they never seemed to go to sleep at night. It was either Mariachi music or Nine Inch Nails...all night long. My parents live in a non-HOA neighborhood in SLC suburbia. Their next door neighbor (who is white and a temple-recommend Mormon, just putting that out there before anyone assumes the neighbors are Mexican) maintains a car graveyard on his property. 7-8 non-functioning cars at all times. And a bike graveyard. And a broken RV with a caved in roof. All visible from the street. Most of the cars have been there for years. When they are not collecting cars, the next door neighbors breed and collect dogs that they do not train that run amok and terrorize everyone. The last batch were removed after a cop got bit on his way to the local ward. Down the street one guy never ever mows his lawn. I'm not being dramatic. Never ever. The grass grows over 3 feet tall, and then in July, when it gets hot in Salt Lake suburbia, the grass dies and becomes 3 feet tall dead grass. Lovely view while leaving the neighborhood.

I don't like HOA's. But I can see why they do exist. Even though I find having to tell the HOA that one's SO of five years wants to move into the condo that one OWNS to be absurd. Or the classic "garage door must remain closed" or even better, "no clothes lines."

Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,621,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
Another jealous person who would give anything to live here in God's country. Sorry bud, you lose........

Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,324,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Another jealous person who would give anything to live here in God's country. Sorry bud, you lose........

OK

Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,772,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Inland Empire?

Apparently this "God" has a rather sharp sense of humor.

HOA's seem to represent some form of need by some to return to a simpler, childlike existence whereby difficult things like decision-making, liberty, and creativity are traded for abject deference to some sort of grossly anal-retentive, attention-seeking powermad PTA types, gleefully wading in their fantasy of actually owning and thusly exerting total control over the whole of a community. SoCal ought to be wary of the extent of this stuff - much of the land was originally settled amidst a slew of very specific housing covenants, of dubious distinction.

And why would you want to pay through the nose for a place that looks exactly like everybody else's? Homogenization ain't pretty. Kind of scary, actually.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I know of a person who cannot have his girlfriend move in with him unless the HOA approves. His condo. His mortgage. He lives in Vegas. Personally I don't like HOA's but in many cases I don't like the alternatives. The last couple I rented a room from in their house, non-HOA area, had quite a few problems. The neighbors would rent out their homes to either Mexican families or college students. Both groups love to fill the homes beyond capacity to meet rent. We're talking ten cars in front of one house here. Bonus, they never seemed to go to sleep at night. It was either Mariachi music or Nine Inch Nails...all night long. My parents live in a non-HOA neighborhood in SLC suburbia. Their next door neighbor (who is white and a temple-recommend Mormon, just putting that out there before anyone assumes the neighbors are Mexican) maintains a car graveyard on his property. 7-8 non-functioning cars at all times. And a bike graveyard. And a broken RV with a caved in roof. All visible from the street. Most of the cars have been there for years. When they are not collecting cars, the next door neighbors breed and collect dogs that they do not train that run amok and terrorize everyone. The last batch were removed after a cop got bit on his way to the local ward. Down the street one guy never ever mows his lawn. I'm not being dramatic. Never ever. The grass grows over 3 feet tall, and then in July, when it gets hot in Salt Lake suburbia, the grass dies and becomes 3 feet tall dead grass. Lovely view while leaving the neighborhood.

I don't like HOA's. But I can see why they do exist. Even though I find having to tell the HOA that one's SO of five years wants to move into the condo that one OWNS to be absurd. Or the classic "garage door must remain closed" or even better, "no clothes lines."

We don't have HOA's here, we have code enforcment, this is the city making sure that your property is not an eyesore. I live in a town that is 2 miles by 2 miles, police and fire response times are great.

I can have anyone I choose come and stay without seeking permission from someone I don't know.

I am currently building a shop in the backyard so I do not have to commute anywhere. I am involved in Micro Aviation, this covers R/C, Drones and UAVs, My design space is in my livingroom but I needed more space than the 2 car garage had to offer after the lathe, mill drill press welder and welding table plus the CNC equipment started filling the place and making production a pain in the butt. The city was quite willing to give me a permit for a 20x30 building in my backyard. Not only that I will still have plenty of backyard left. Large lots are a thing of the past in California unless you combine 3 like my father did and then you go around and around with the city...

Here people tend to mind their own business, I love that!

I also have some of my kids teachers living in the neighborhood... My daughters Science teacher lives across the street. This means if they need to talk to me I am easy to to get to... You would never have that in a large city.

I looked at a house with an HOA a while back and asked myself do I want to feel like a renter in a house I own?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 AM

768 posts, read 713,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
Can anyone tell me why there are so many HOAs and seemingly so few "independent" homes in SoCal? Here in the Phoenix area they're pretty rare.
Thanks.
Because without HOA there is always that one turquoise house on the block. Personally, I prefer having that colorful house on the block as opposed to an HOA. I would never buy any type of housing within an HOA. What a scam!

Old 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,249,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Because without HOA there is always that one turquoise house on the block. Personally, I prefer having that colorful house on the block as opposed to an HOA. I would never buy any type of housing within an HOA. What a scam!
You need one like I had in Murrieta. No property owned by the HOA as all the streets etc were deeded to the city. While we had CC&R's there was no homeowners association ever formed and no one wants one. No enforcement of anything and the neighborhood still looks great.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You need one like I had in Murrieta. No property owned by the HOA as all the streets etc were deeded to the city. While we had CC&R's there was no homeowners association ever formed and no one wants one. No enforcement of anything and the neighborhood still looks great.
That's because your neighbors own the homes, they are not renters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County