Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM

13 posts, read 30,256 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to the Orange County area in Spring of 2013--I'm a single mom with a daughter who is graduating this year. We want to be in close proximity of Disneyland--she will be working there. I work at home, so the commute is mostly a non-issue if I never leave the house. This is what I have narrowed down so far--our budget is around 1600-1800 for a 2 bedroom rental. I'd really love for her to be, somewhat, close. She drives an older car, for one, and she is young. However, I haven't heard good things about the neighborhoods surrounding Disneyland, and I've experienced it firsthand. (Though I admit I'm not an expert. That's why I'm here!!) Mostly, I want us to be safe--with her working at various hours, especially. I'm drawn to Old Town Orange, but can't seem to find rentals there. Here's what I have so far for possible places to live, based on what I know about safe/nice places:

Anaheim Hills--Bordered by Deer Canyon Park to the West, Weir Canyon Rd. to the East. (About a 15 mile commute to work, so iffy about this)

Yorba Linda—Imperial Highway to the West, Yorba Linda Blvd. to the North, Kellogg Drive to the East. East of the Richard Nixon Library. (About a 12 mile commute to work)

Orange—East of the I-5 and North Main (looks like it is directly east of the Main Place Mall, so probably just as you cross into Orange), South of the 22, North of E. Santa Clara Ave. (This one is a 5 mile commute to work on I-5, but is it too close to Santa Ana? I’ve heard so many negatives about Santa Ana, but not really clear on which parts. The complex itself looks nice and safe.)

Irvine—East of the 5, looks like it’s close to the Lower Peters Canyon Park and Arnold O. Beckman High, West of Irvine Blvd. (This one is a 10 mile commute—nice and a tad more expensive.)

I've seen one particular forum member who is very good at giving advice when the poster has specific boundaries, so I tried my best. Thanks so much for reading my long-winded post!!! PS--Clearly, schools aren't important, since she is graduating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
You should look at private landlords if you can't find any apartments. www.padmapper.com

Also, if you're not limiting yourself the Old Towne Orange area, you can try downtown Fullerton.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Definitely not limiting to Old Towne Orange...that's why I posted what I'd come up with so far. I think even the Orange location I posted isn't in Old Towne, but close proximity. (Just south I think?) Fullerton is a gray area for me, in that I know very little about it...I wouldn't even know where to begin to look! I've heard good things about Placentia, but my search left me with none left in the running. We are moving from Colorado--a city that has a great, quaint Old Town of its own. I don't need active social life. I wouldn't even mind living in a senior complex if I was old enough. Safety is number one for me. (Though, ironically, I lived in Capitol Hill Denver for a few years. I never felt unsafe, but I was early 20s and oblivious.)

I actually wouldn't mind a private landlord...the corporate thing has me a bit wary, since I haven't rented in a long time. I'm mostly curious if I'm barking up the right tree, in terms of the locations I posted. Is my research working?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
Also, there are some areas in Santa Ana that are fairly safe and close to Old Towne Orange but I'm not too familiar with them (hopefully another poster could better elaborate.)

In general, apartments are more plentiful in the areas college students and younger people prefer to live. So this includes Anaheim, Orange, Santa Ana, Irvine, Fullerton, Tustin, and Costa Mesa. Placentia doesn't come off as a place where rentals are plentiful (trust me, I tried very hard to look there when I moved here 2 years ago.)

You might want to take note of the areas where rentals are clustered and (if you're already hunting in the area) drive through those areas.

Some safe areas outside of Old Towne Orange but close to Disneyland

- Irvine: Can be expensive but is very safe. You will have trouble finding a 2br with your price range.
- Buena Park: The parts bordering La Mirada and La Palma are good (and you can consider those two cities as well.) The parts bordering Anaheim not so good. The parts bordering Fullerton I'm not so sure about.
- Cypress: A small college town to the west ; you'll be taking surface streets to Disneyland though.
-

Last edited by ragnarkar; 07-23-2012 at 11:46 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Thanks!! I know very little about Cypress, so didn't even look there. Surface streets are fine--slow going, but slow speeds don't seem to bother my daughter. I did find a few 2 BRs in Irvine in our price range--about a 10 mile commute on I-5. I wasn't sure how unfortunate that would be! I will look at Buena Park, as well.
I l
I hope the poster I'm thinking of weighs in. I think it's Coldjensens? I love getting a variety of feedback, sans fighting, of course.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,455,451 times
[quote]In general, apartments are more plentiful in the areas college students and younger people prefer to live. So this includes Anaheim, Orange, Santa Ana, Irvine, Fullerton, Tustin, and Costa Mesa. Placentia doesn't come off as a place where rentals are plentiful (trust me, I tried very hard to look there when I moved here 2 years ago.)[quote]

Placentia rental areas:

Along Chapman between Kraemer and Bradford. (there are many south of Chapman but need to have discretion in that area).

Along Yorba Linda Blvd. east of Kraemer. (There are also a number of rental complexes along Placentia Ave. in Fullerton right against the city border)

Along Orangethorpe east of Tustin Ave. Also north of Orangethorpe between Tustin and Lakeview. Some of that borders Atwood barrio but should be no issue as these are gated communities.

I know of others but not sure which streets.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks!! I actually did find a complex that was north of Orangethorpe, between Tustin and Lakeview...then I looked to the South and saw "Atwood." I knew enough about that area that I got cold feet. (This is the Union Place apartments on Cherry.) So I shouldn't worry then if it's gated? I don't want to come across as super paranoid, but I'm a cynic.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
Your closest areas that I think are pleasant to live in are Orange, Fullerton and Anaheim.

My first choice would be Old Town Orange. My personal opinion is it is the best area in Orange County to live. There are some really cool rentals Not apartments, usually granny flats or small houses - most of the apratments are little four or eight unit boxes that are not very intersting or pleasant. However there are some exceptions.

First a house or granny flat in Old Town or just outside. These are usually leased directly by the owner. They are hard to find and get. THe best option for us was to drive around and look for signs. Twice we happened to come across a great place at a great rate within minutes of them putting up a sign. You need to explore in advance so you know what you want. Sign goes up, get in touch with them and sign the lease. Wait, and someone else will take it.

Outside of Old Town is is hit and miss. Some areas are pretty nice, some are pretty shakey. The Nice areas are no different than nice areas in Anaheim or Fullerton. Not particularly exciting and not within walking distance of Old Town. If you get way out near Orange County Mining Company restruaunt it is nice,but most of those areas are pricy.

The other decent option in the Old Town area are the apartments by the hospital on Main and Town & Country. They are on a pretty busy road, but they are apartments. It is not like you are going to be spending time playing in the yard. Also on the other side of Main (West?) and back a little way somewhat to teh North of Main Place mall (or whatever they call it now). Both of these places are mostly medical professionals who work at the CHOC/St Joeseph complex or the surrounding ofices, labs, etc.

Another possible option are the condos on Main and Memory Lane. I have hard some of them are rented out. They are nice because there is a dining complex right with the arpartments, the mall across one street and a park (Santiago Park) across the other. (Stay out of the park at night unless there are people around). You are also really close to Bower Museum which is the only place in Southern Califronia on Foder's top ten places to visit in California list. THe discovery Science center and St. Joeseph Ballet are just up the street as well. (Polly's Pies too) It is trafficy in there, but not intolerable IMO. Freeway access is also excellent.

The apartments and condos discussed above are not in old town, but they are within a mile and it is a nice walk once you get into the neghborhood parts.

Anaheim has some decnt neighborhoods left. They are scattered and I cannot help much with where they are. We have friends living in them, but I really do not pay much attention to where they are in realtion to other parts of Anaheim. I just tell my phone "Navigate to Joe ****'s Home" and turn where the magical lady's voice tells me to turn. Some parts of Anaheim are pretty nasty. You can generally see whether you are in a good or bad area. Anaheim is funnny. THe new area of condos and apartments near the stadium seems pretty nice and there are usually quite a few people out and about. At the same time, I have never seen so many hookers and bangers in one place (except at Univerasl city walk up near LA).

Fullerton is pretty neat downtown. Like all of the non-conformist and pristine areas there is some crime. You have to use common sense. If you have no common sense then you need to be in Irvine or south or Irvine. There are some ok apartments near the college. However you have to put up with childish college kid BS sometimes. (If you want pristine and comforming (and expensive) just go to any city Irvine or south. They are all the same, look for hte best deal you can find. They are nice, but soulless and boring. That is a bit of a drive for you)).

Garden Grove, Fountain Valley and Westminister are also in the general area. They are pretty bland and basically middle middle class suburbia with some poor areas. Some areas are pretty nasty and a few areas are somewhat dangerous. I do not know much about these cities as they are not my cup of tea. I have been to a few areas in each that made me uncomfrotable (which is hard to do) and a few that I thought were reasonably nice. I have never seen anyplace particularly intersting or exciting in any of them. Foutnain Valley is pushing your range, but it is probably the nicest. It would be neat to live on Mile Square Park I think. I would stay as far away form Little Saigon as possible.

Santa Ana has a few good neghborhoods. I will skip the area around South Coast Plaza because that is too far away for you I think. Near Orange, Park Santiago Neighborhood and Floral Park Neighborhoods are good bets for you. It would be hard to find a rental in Floral park, but they do come up from time to time. Floral Park is awesome IMO. Do not confuse West Floral Park, which is still decent, but not at all awesome. There is another neighborhood off of 17th near Tustin, I can never remember the name of that neighborhood. It is a decent place. Nothing exciting and not as safe as some other areas, but pretty decent. Some great people living in there (and some not so great).

Tustin agian is hit and miss. the side near Irvine, is very Irvineesque. Lots of newer matching homes and apartments and strip malls. As you move towrds Santa Ana and Orange is becomes more of a blend of Irvine and Santa Ana type atmospheres. The hilly part of Tustin is really super neat, but I do not think you will find rentals in there.

French Park (where we lived for many years), is really neat, but it is a bit more edgy. French Court just north and adjoining French Park is rough. All low income apartments and condos. We were very happy in French Park, but you need to connect with your neighbors and watch out for each other. Stuff happens there sometimes. How secure you feel will come and go over time. Sometimes it is better, sometimes it is worse. It was never bad enough that we wanted to leave for that reason. I still live there now when I am in California (about 15 weeks of the year).

Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 PM

Wow, you seriously rock.....and this is very helpful. We plan to come out a few times before the actual move, so maybe we'll get lucky with Old Town Orange. This would be my "dream place" to find a rental. Regardless, it's nice to know that the places I *did* scope out are actually good choices. Cool when that happens. (My daughter's favorite choice was an apartment complex south of St. Joseph's Hospital in Orange, on Main and Town & Country....and it sounds like that could be a good choice all around.) I know it's going to be a trial by fire, as I have lived in Colorado all my life. Fortunately, I'm a hermit who works at home. It sounds like our Irvine choice isn't bad either, though the drive is longer (10 miles I think, on the 5.) Someone told me Placentia wasn't a good choice anywhere--do you agree? (North of Orangethorpe, between Tustin and Lakeview.)

Thank you for your input!!!! I'm feeling more encouraged!

Old 07-25-2012, 07:30 PM

Just curious...you mentioned Garden Grove, but I wasn't sure if it seemed like a safe place to me, the times we visited. How are the neighborhoods close to The Block at Orange? There are some rentals near Lewis and Lampson (just west of The Block, but right west, like walking distance)--not new, but seemed like a good location and clean. I don't know Garden Grove as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County