Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 PM

13 posts, read 40,660 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback everyone! It is a great help because we haven't been able to get down to OC yet to take a look around. I was hoping to narrow things down so we can look at what we are really interested in once we get a chance.

I have having to use labels to describe myself and other people, but sometimes it is a quick and effective way for getting a point across. I'm a bit granola (not uber granola) and very health and fitness focused. I'm definitely excited at the prospect of being MUCH closer to the beach and the year-round gorgeous weather for our active lifestyle. Just from what I can find on-line, there is so much to do fitness-wise! I've found stroller fitness groups for moms & toddlers, a women specific running group, a women's Bootcamp class. I'm excited to find other health and fitness minded moms and women because that is severely lacking in my current area! I'm excited for more running and biking trails.

I'm not opposed to the idea of moving to OC. On the contrary, I'm pretty excited. OC has many advantages: the public schools are much better than our current schools, the crime rate is lower, the weather is nicer, closer to the beach and the mountains, the lifestyle seems more health and fitness focused. And not too far away, Disneyland, Legoland, the SD Zoo, the art museums in LA, the Natural History Museum of LA County, and on and on. But, being an affluent area, I'm know we will run into the entitlement attitude. It is to be expected. And I hope I can stand the "mindnumbing conformity" as Coldjensens put it. LOL.

Lake Forest- Sounds like maybe a good value for the housing dollar? Very little Mello Roos, good schools and I've read people are more "down to earth" there. Of course, this is all subjective.
Irvine - Could certainly be a choice, I know it has great schools!
Orange - I've read that is has a quaint, walkable downtown area
Aliso Viejo - I'm curious but have not found too much information.

We have never really been fans of "cookie cutter" houses, but our kids' education and safety is #1, so if we have to go cookie cutter on the housing, we will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info on Aliso Viejo, pacific2! It sounds VERY interesting. I'm definitely into organic/green/eco initiatives. I will have to delve into more AV information.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joggermama View Post
Thanks for the info on Aliso Viejo, pacific2! It sounds VERY interesting. I'm definitely into organic/green/eco initiatives. I will have to delve into more AV information.
You're welcome. AV is a work in progress and city leaders are receptive to new ideas.

Aliso has good schools. Most of Aliso also has Mello-Roos and annual costs vary greatly (check the tax assessor’s website to see what applies to an individual home).

Town Center serves as Aliso Viejo’s “downtown” and everyone lives within 1.5 miles of it.

Aliso Viejo Town Center - YouTube

Inka Mama's - Wcities - YouTube

Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 AM

47 posts, read 87,372 times
If you want education and safety, look no further than Irvine--although I wouldn't consider it a "down to earth" city as a whole. Very few people here care about material possessions, and the ones who do seem to belong to ethnic groups that keep to themselves anyway (Persians), so you wouldn't have to deal with them on a daily basis. I don't know how the local moms treat one another, but I'm sure every city has its share of mommy competition. As a whole, people here tend to live through their children, their children's successes are more important to them than the cars they drive or the price tag of their purses. Just today I saw a "my child is an honors student" sticker plastered on a gorgeous M3.

Most of Irvine's critics are the people who take it for face value. Driving through, it does seem like a very bland city. Once you live here and meet people, it's just like any other city, except you can leave your door unlocked and your windows open, go for a walk in the middle of the night without looking over your shoulder, drive a car that doesn't have multiple security systems, let your kids walk to/from school, etc etc. Schools are excellent, in both academics and enjoyment (not sure how to put it). I went to school here from 2nd grade through college, most students are friendly towards one another, very few cases of bullying, minimal drug use/"other types" of experimentation, etc.

Aliso is great too. I'd probably live there if I didn't travel north for school.

Last edited by winniethepwn; 07-30-2012 at 02:39 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 04:10 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I forgot the safety factor. Crime is very low in Aliso Viejo, but the city never makes the “safest city” list because that category is reserved for big cities. Aliso’s population of 48,549 is much smaller than Irvine’s 215,529.

For the most part, all of South County is safe and I think Mission Viejo, another nice large community, almost ties with Irvine for the “title.”

BTW, although I would certainly not describe them as being "liberal," other attractive South County areas to consider include Dana Point (one of my favorites), San Juan Capistrano (crime is an issue in some areas) and Laguna Niguel.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-30-2012 at 04:21 AM..

Old 07-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniethepwn View Post
Most of Irvine's critics are the people who take it for face value. Driving through, it does seem like a very bland city. Once you live here and meet people, it's just like any other city, except you can leave your door unlocked and your windows open, go for a walk in the middle of the night without looking over your shoulder, drive a car that doesn't have multiple security systems, let your kids walk to/from school, etc etc. Schools are excellent, in both academics and enjoyment (not sure how to put it). I went to school here from 2nd grade through college, most students are friendly towards one another, very few cases of bullying, minimal drug use/"other types" of experimentation, etc.
Thanks winniethepwn for your comments on Irvine. It is looking a bit more attractive, the more I read about it. I know it has great schools and I know it is one of the safest cities in the country. I read somewhere on the OC forum that Irvine is very bike friendly? It supposedly has wide bike lanes and off-road bike trails too? Does anyone know about that?

I have to wrap my head around the fact that we will most likely live in a newer cookie cutter house. We have always owned older homes. We love the character, but not the repair or renovation bills! Ugh!!! We have remodeled 3 older homes. Maybe I will be won over by the newer homes after all!! :)

Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
I'd just ignore the image-consciousness in the first place.. so what if you drive an older car or don't carry a designer purse. Are you gonna get fired for that? Get fined by the HOA? Get arrested?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,420 times
Omg. Those hoa nazis check purse brands too!

Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM

590 posts, read 1,249,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joggermama View Post
Thanks winniethepwn for your comments on Irvine. It is looking a bit more attractive, the more I read about it. I know it has great schools and I know it is one of the safest cities in the country. I read somewhere on the OC forum that Irvine is very bike friendly? It supposedly has wide bike lanes and off-road bike trails too? Does anyone know about that?

I have to wrap my head around the fact that we will most likely live in a newer cookie cutter house. We have always owned older homes. We love the character, but not the repair or renovation bills! Ugh!!! We have remodeled 3 older homes. Maybe I will be won over by the newer homes after all!!
Another thing to consider. Most of irvine is perfectly flat. So biking and walking are way easier

Mission viejo has all kinds and prices of homes. Most of the newer variety. But not so much cookie cutter. Bit much of MVP is very hilly

Good luck

Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 PM

7 posts, read 43,176 times
I personally think the best place to live in OC is Laguna Niguel My husband works in Irvine and we lived there for a few months before moving to our home in LN...I'm not sorry we didn't stay in Irvine...nice place to visit and all, but....

Just keep in mind that along with the "best" schools comes a very competitive and often stressful academic experience...I'd do some reading about the school districts in OC and not just look at test scores...JMO of course! Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County