Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM

98 posts, read 161,349 times

Advertisements

Most of the people complaining...

Are not attractive
Are not successful
Are not solvent
Are not a lot of desirable things

Consider the source of these opinions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
Quote:
Most of the people complaining...

Are not attractive
Are not successful
Are not solvent
Are not a lot of desirable things
Lemme add one more thing:

Are not interested in type A, obnoxious, East Coasters' opinions.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Lemme add one more thing:

Are not interested in type A, obnoxious, East Coasters' opinions.

I'll be the first to say it," you know you have been thinking it"... New Yorker's on average..(mind you on average) not exactly attractive physically.granted I am a transplant but I am from Denver/Boulder. where there are nice looking people every where..NYC severely overrated.YA it's like that..like who even thinks there are more attractive people in NYC?
What a joke!

Last edited by Scott5280; 07-30-2012 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
Seal Beach. Los Alamitos. Huntington Beach.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:35 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Default Suggestion...

If you come down for a visit, and it's on a weekend, you might want to follow some open house signs to get an idea of some of the houses and neighborhoods. Then if certain neighborhoods catch your eye, take a walk around in the late afternoon/early evening and if someone's out walking their dog etc. have a chat with them how they like living there etc. Let them know you're doing some research. Pretty much everywhere hubby and I have done that, we've found some warm friendly people.

Also BTW, hubby and I live in South County near the Mission Viejo/Lake Forest boarder. We are "middle class" ish, don't make a huge income, and drive older (but not ratty) cars. If anyone is looking down their noses at us or hold us in contempt for it, I would never know it, nor would I care. You'll find your birds to flock with, and if your neighbors happen to be decent, then you'll be in good shape.

BTW, I grew up kinda poor in the San Fernando Valley in LA county, so this place is like heaven to me! I like feeling generally safe... Strip malls (I'm assuming the usual block of a Vons with a Chipoltle, a bank, a gas station, and Starbucks) don't scare me. I like having every day conveniences nearby. Mother's Market in Laguna Hills has your granola. There's an actual bookstore in Aliso Viejo (hoping they stay open!) We can hop on our bikes and just cruise around our (or a nearby) neighborhood. If we feel like going to something with more character, we drive down to San Juan Capistrano to Molly's for a monster breakfast and enjoy the historic district. We can head to Laguna Beach and watch the sunset from the spot where we got married. Shop the Antique stores in Orange. Enjoy the drum circles at Huntington Beach. We're not confined to a small radius outside our door. Sometimes we go up the Mountains to Crestline, and Arrowhead, (another monster breakfast at the Cottage in Rim Forest on Hwy 18) or to Hollywood to see a movie at the Archlight theater with a visit to Amoeba Records for some serious people watching. A day trip to San Diego is always fun! We just got back from Comicon.

Anyway, come on down, check it out and the best of luck!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:01 AM

4 posts, read 7,570 times
I am in San Clemente, and love it. You will always find the cluster of people that are all about the $$, but I have never had any issue with them, and I cannot say enough about how friendly the people of SC are to others. It is just a more relaxed way of living. The keeping up with the Jones' type of person I think you are referring to as the stereotype are the ones in those cookie cutter areas, like, Ladera Ranch, Aliso Viejo, Irvine, etc.. Good luck with your move!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM

3,882 posts, read 4,533,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahmOC View Post
I am in San Clemente, and love it. You will always find the cluster of people that are all about the $$, but I have never had any issue with them, and I cannot say enough about how friendly the people of SC are to others. It is just a more relaxed way of living. The keeping up with the Jones' type of person I think you are referring to as the stereotype are the ones in those cookie cutter areas, like, Ladera Ranch, Aliso Viejo, Irvine, etc.. Good luck with your move!
I wouldn't even stereotype those who live in the cookie cutters... so many have jobs in the Irvine area and other places in Orange County and the cookie cutter areas have good schools and safe neighborhoods for their kids. The general area is beautiful even if a lot of the houses are kinda boring. (Although I don't think they're all bad) The developers came and built in mass and now we're "stuck" with them, and all kinds of people live in them, unless they make oodles of money and can live in Laguna Beach etc.
San Clemente is awesome though, and has a sweet smaller town feel, but people have to be willing to commute a little further to get there.

BTW when hubby and I both worked in Anaheim near the 91 and 55, we commuted to Crestline for nearly 3 years. We loved it, but when he got the new job in Irvine, it became too much, and we ended up in Mission Viejo. I always hear about the "plastic" people, but maybe not being in that tax bracket, we just haven't come across enough of them to make our lives miserable.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:04 PM

64 posts, read 134,073 times
A lot of good suggestions here. Rancho Santa Margarita, Ladera Ranch and Las Flores would also be great options in your price range. Terrific schools, good people and a lot to do for the kids. This whole "keep up with the Jones'" thing is vastly overstated. I have never had or even observed that happening.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
There are a lot of “profound thinkers” out there who love to stereotype and nothing will stop them.

Call it what you want, but tiny “plastic” Aliso Viejo now has an Olympic Gold Medal winner . Congrats, Kyla Ross!

Old 08-01-2012, 05:50 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,481,776 times
At some point, they're ALL "down-to-earth" cities.

We've yet to see any of the Orange County cities hovering in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County