U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 7,442 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I recently moved here from New York, and I'm a self proclaimed shopaholic. I love shopping in malls, vintage stores, flea market, etc. I was wondering if you guys can give me any suggestions or list of places that you like to shop at, and a bit of description as to the atmosphere and what kind of products they sell. These are some of the places I've been to:

1. South Coast
- So of course, the first mall that my friend had to take me to is the mall on South Coast. She said it's the best mall in OC. I have to admit, it's pretty big with a lot of different stores including Apple, Sony, Microsoft (for your electronic lovers), Macy's, Saks, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, and of course my favorite, Sephora. They have that one section with all the designer stuff (Gucci, Chanel, LV, etc.) and you can also walk across the bridge where they have Crate and Barrel, Diesel, Macy's Home, and another H&M store. It's a huge, run of the mill mall that's good for everyone.

2. The Lab (anti-mall)
- Has a more hip, urban feel to it. Seems aimed towards the younger, hipster crowd, and kinda ironic that they call it anti-mall, since it is basically a mall. Stores include Urban Outfitters, Buffalo Exchange, Brands Walk, Gypsy Den, and few others. Urban Outfitters and Buffalo Exchange are clothing stores that sell clothes aimed towards younger people. Not preppy like Abercrombie or JCREW, Buffalo def. more urban and Urban Outfitters is what i would call mainstream artsy (?) lol. Brandswalk, I think, is a new store that opened up that sells iphone accessories, which is great since I own one. Grabbed a few items from there, including a Switcheasy case and a SPG Spigen mix match (?) case, and Native union moshi moshi (so cute!) Gypsey Den is a cute cafe that sells some really good tea. They have indoor and outdoor seatings.

THE LAB

SPIGEN SPG MIX MATCH CASE (LOVE!)

Native union moshi moshi (SOO CUTE!)

GYPSY DEN

3. Brea Mall
- It's an average sized mall to me. After being to South Coast, nothing too impressive and didn't really stand out. I think they had a Forever 21 store, that I didn't see at South Coast though.

This weekend, I'm off to Irvine Spectrum! Yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 06:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,464,638 times
There are interesting and quaint stores in most of the old town/downtown areas: Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Peninsula, Orange, etc. Things like art dealers, consignment shops, flag shops, local knickknacks, etc.

You might like the Block. It's mostly outlets now, and they have some pretty decent outlets(Saks, DKNY, CK, Levis, Nike, etc). Some of them are the only ones in the area.

There are swapmeets around the county pretty much every weekend at various community colleges(Cypress, Goldenwest, etc), OC Fairgrounds, etc.

The OC Fair is in town right now and has some shopping(basically swapmeet type stuff, but more variety than normal).

Downtown Disney is heavily chainy, but has free parking for a few hours. Lego store might be the most unique presence.

Nearby Belmont Shore in Long Beach is also popular. Parking is atrocious, but walking it is kind of the point. Nothing must see, but if you like a vibrant city feel you get it there.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 AM

224 posts, read 415,337 times
Fashion Island.... great stores and some good restaurants, but the location is its biggest selling point, IMO.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM

26,536 posts, read 62,986,490 times
E-Bay

Old 08-08-2012, 11:39 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,928,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalinnorcal View Post
Fashion Island.... great stores and some good restaurants, but the location is its biggest selling point, IMO.
And the fact that it's outside! I remember going to Fashion Island on the day after Christmas -- it was a glorious, warm sunny day and we were walking around in shorts. VERY different vibe from a "regular" mall, much less one on the East coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County