U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 01:56 AM

125 posts, read 429,293 times

Advertisements

Is there any nearby planned city like Irvine where it's safe, clean and convenient to shops and restaurants but less crowded housing wise? All the new houses in the Irvine Villages are built so close to one another for some strange reasons. You can almost shake your neighbor's hand through the windows if you want to. Thanks!

Last edited by venicebeachcalifornia; 08-07-2012 at 02:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 AM

26,426 posts, read 62,653,352 times
Almost all of south County is like Irvine. Some of the older Cities (including older parts of Irvine) have a bit more space, but it is minimal. Real estate is expensive and it is much cheaper to build houses close together not only because it uses less land, but because it allows faster and cheaper mass production techniques.

I suggest you look at older parts of Irvine, south Tustin, Mission Viejo and Lake Forest.

The foothills in Tustin have some nice sized lots, as do places like Orange Park acres and Villa Park. Floral Park in Santa Ana is not like Irvine at all, but it is a nice neighborhood with a lot more space (for many homes anyway). All of those places require a little bit of a drive to get to lots of stores and resturuants (maybe four or five minutes).

If "convenient' maens within a short drive or a very long walk, pretty much every place in Orange county is convenient to shops and resturants except maybe Silverado Canyon and Modjeska Canyon. Most places are safe, but safety is realtive. Some places are reasonably safe, some very safe, others ridiculously uber safe (not quite "no need to lock your doors," but for a thickly settled location, places like Irvine are very very safe). What level do you want?

Funny (or not funny if you are the neighbor) story about houses close together. We rented a home for many years in orange. Our neighbor's bedroom window was maybe 10 feet from our kitchen window. It was hot and everyone had all of their windows open. We had a great dane. One day we came home and found a couple of messages on the machine that were nothing but very loud woof woof woof with a plaintive voice that we could not make out over the loud barking. Turned out our great dane was standing against the counter barking loudly at something he heard through our open kitchen windw from their open bedroom window. It was not funny at the time, just embarrassing, but in hidnsight, it was pretty funny. With the houses so close together he may as well have been standing in their bedroom barking at the phone while they tried to leave us a message asking us to shut him up.

We made sure it never happend again and stayed friends with that neighbor, but it was a bit of a test of the neighborly relationship. We had to make them a lot of cookies and pies before they forgave us.

Also if you get into the higher end homes, many of them have a little space. Look at homes over $1 million.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:58 PM

We are looking at 2000 sq ft new homes in the $500-600k range. If we want easy sell and strong resell value down the road, do we have no choice but to choose the more convenient parts of Irvine that are close to the malls/shops and freeways and not the hills? We went to some new model homes and almost all the houses in the new communities are spoken for already. The builders just can't build them fast enough. Crazy.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:03 AM

26,426 posts, read 62,653,352 times
That is the way it used to be in OC. Buyers would camp out the night before the opening of a new run of mass produced homes so they could be first in line. Now it is mostly becasue no one is building anything. The builders all got burned int he crash and are being cautious. Also it is very difficult to build anything new and make a profit because so many pre-owned homes are on the market at such low prices. Many people prefer a 2500 s.f. home on a postage stamp and a half lot over a 2000 s.f. new home on a postage stamp lot for the same price. UNfortunately for you, there are still enough people who will pay the premium for "new" at least to a point, so the few new homes being built get snapped up quickly. As prices come back up, you will see more and more new homes being offered.

Keep in mind when home purchase prices plummeted, the costs of building the homes did not go down. Contractors worked on tighter margins and labor costs may have dipped a bit, but material costs went up, so the cost of building a home stayed about the same, or likely went up a little bit. The risks involved did not change, or in all likelihood went up a little bit. WHile small offerings of homes are getting snapped up right away, the big subdivisions with hundreds or thousands of homes are likely to sit partially unsold. The carrying costs on such places is huge and houses sitting unsold, will depress the sale price even more. With sales prices down by 30-40% in many areas, it just is not worth it for builders to build new homes. Some of them are buying up troubled developments and re-grading them to smaller lots for smaller homes and hten sitting on them waiting for prices and demand to come back up.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:32 AM

This new community in Irvine claims it has no Mello Roos. Sounds too good to be true. What's the catch?

O.C. homebuilder axes Mello Roos taxes | taxes, roos, mello - The Orange County Register

Old 08-09-2012, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,918 times
Default Sorry to crash the irvine party....

I have never been to Irvine, and the last time I was in California I was with my dad on a family vacation when I was 13. I know that I am not directly answering your question, but instead, I am posing a question(s) of my own (which is probably inappropriate, so I do apologize in advance).
1) Are there any school districts in Irvine or surrounding areas that have school curriculum focused on the theater and performing arts? My husband is finishing up his masters in drama and speech (he'd be certified to teach debate, forensics, pros, theater, etc..) but he also wants to pursue his personal acting career when he is not teaching. I am also a teacher, but my license has expired because I now stay at home because I made the decision several years ago when our sons began exhibiting signs that they were having difficulty in the classroom.
We are moving within this next year, and I would like to know more about the different counties in the california area before we just make a leap of faith--- we are sending resumes out to several different states, many of which have relatives that do live in those states (California is JUST NOT ONE OF THOSE STATES).

I get a sense from reading your post that you are looking for a more optimal area to move, and you no longer desire to live in the Irvine area, 2) could you please explain why don't you care for it other than the close proximity and over-crowding population? #)Is there a good housing market? What about unemployment? $) are the schools educationally sound or are there a lot of drug, gang, violence problems? 5)What is the average cost of a home, is California military friendly (my husband is military also), and what parts are scenic but still close enough to the city --- where someone could find auditions, casting calls or jobs for teachers.

6) One last question....How in the world do I post my own question???? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I can only find posts from other and I can see where I can respond to their posts but I can not start my own....any suggestions??

Sorry to crash this party.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 AM

1,548 posts, read 2,507,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjibug1104 View Post
I have never been to Irvine, and the last time I was in California I was with my dad on a family vacation when I was 13. I know that I am not directly answering your question, but instead, I am posing a question(s) of my own (which is probably inappropriate, so I do apologize in advance).
1) Are there any school districts in Irvine or surrounding areas that have school curriculum focused on the theater and performing arts? My husband is finishing up his masters in drama and speech (he'd be certified to teach debate, forensics, pros, theater, etc..) but he also wants to pursue his personal acting career when he is not teaching. I am also a teacher, but my license has expired because I now stay at home because I made the decision several years ago when our sons began exhibiting signs that they were having difficulty in the classroom.
We are moving within this next year, and I would like to know more about the different counties in the california area before we just make a leap of faith--- we are sending resumes out to several different states, many of which have relatives that do live in those states (California is JUST NOT ONE OF THOSE STATES).

I get a sense from reading your post that you are looking for a more optimal area to move, and you no longer desire to live in the Irvine area, 2) could you please explain why don't you care for it other than the close proximity and over-crowding population? #)Is there a good housing market? What about unemployment? $) are the schools educationally sound or are there a lot of drug, gang, violence problems? 5)What is the average cost of a home, is California military friendly (my husband is military also), and what parts are scenic but still close enough to the city --- where someone could find auditions, casting calls or jobs for teachers.

6) One last question....How in the world do I post my own question???? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I can only find posts from other and I can see where I can respond to their posts but I can not start my own....any suggestions??

Sorry to crash this party.
If I remember correctly, if you're brand new, you have to post a few replies before you can create a new thread (I could be wrong, though, as it's been a while since I've had a new account).

To create a new thread, go to the forum you wish to post in (i.e. City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County) then in the top left corner of the page, click "New Thread".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or