Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:35 PM

334 posts, read 912,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
But it is a dry heat.
If only it was, it'd be a lot more pleasant. In August heat waves, Southern CA gets that stale, breezeless mugginess, like you're breathing someone else's exhaled air. You're sweaty, short of breath, and you can no longer see hills that are just a mile away because of the haze. Nasty stuff.

I hate when people belittle the discomfort of others. Hot is hot. And I say this as somebody who lives in San Antonio, and so I know a thing or two about the subject of heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:15 AM

193 posts, read 307,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
If only it was, it'd be a lot more pleasant. In August heat waves, Southern CA gets that stale, breezeless mugginess, like you're breathing someone else's exhaled air. You're sweaty, short of breath, and you can no longer see hills that are just a mile away because of the haze. Nasty stuff.

I hate when people belittle the discomfort of others. Hot is hot. And I say this as somebody who lives in San Antonio, and so I know a thing or two about the subject of heat.
I just find it funny someone complaining about 85* when we just go about our business in 115*. I go out here in 85* and think its a bit cool today, I'm not kidding. Right now it 80* in the living room as the house is still warmer than outside where I want to reach for a extra shirt... It's 73* out there!

Then in winter we get snow. you get used to it.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:29 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,019,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Every time there's a topic about the LOCAL heat, you can bet your buns some knuckle-dragging troglodyte from a blighted part of the country will pop in and call everyone crybabies because of the temps where he lives.
And why shouldn't they? Complaining about the weather (or just about anything, but especially weather) is a waste of time.

I went to college in the mountains with a ton of snow. We'd get well over a foot in just a few hours but then I'd drive back to my hometown and everyone was bellyaching over the 1-3" they got. Really? lol Yes, it's all relative, but honestly, as much as the weather stinks, it could always be worse. So, when I'm about to complain about the cold, I try to remember that at least I no longer live in the mountains, or even New England. Brrrr....

Now, anyone that's complaining, suck it up and go out and enjoy your day. At least you're alive. And if you really can't stand the weather, move (that's what I did ).

Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
I just find it funny someone complaining about 85* when we just go about our business in 115*. I go out here in 85* and think its a bit cool today, I'm not kidding. Right now it 80* in the living room as the house is still warmer than outside where I want to reach for a extra shirt... It's 73* out there!

Then in winter we get snow. you get used to it.
Haha, yeah. I remember when I was living in Austin a couple years ago, I was out walking the dog an a late summer evening when a cold front moved in. I was thinking "It's chilly tonight; I should have worn some jeans." I checked the patio thermometer when I got home, and it was 73 degrees. :-) I knew I'd been out of CA a long time, then.

It's the "getting used to it" that's missing in regards to heat in Southern CA, though. It doesn't stay hot enough for long enough for their bodies and minds to adjust to it.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
And why shouldn't they?
Because it's rude and at least as pointless.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:29 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,019,649 times
Quote:
Agreed. And exactly my point.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:14 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,773,996 times
Quote:
It kind of says, "You're dumb for living in a nicer place than me." Not the most sound foundation from which to launch an effective argument.

Heat waves can really suck in SoCal for those who don't have AC, which includes a great many (who aren't out in the desert).

Old 09-05-2012, 03:48 AM

193 posts, read 307,702 times
Define nicer...

Sky high housing costs and taxes in California. Or Low housing costs, lower taxes. My income went up as well... We paid off the house in 2 years. We get a real summer and a real winter.

Here I have room to do what I need to do, We are testing 10 to 30 pound aircraft that are on auto-pilot. We could no longer do this in California for testing too dangerous, to inhabited. R&D is not cheap, but here it's a lot cheaper. We have not impaled a cow with one yet.

The expense of testing drove us out of California. Then we found we liked it out here. The deer and turkey hunting are great, feral pig hunting is good too and there is no season or limit on them. A friend of a friend runs a custom meat smoking business, we trade meat for service.

I had never known anything outside of California other than Hawaii, Japan, Korea, Pakistan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Taiwan, Guam, Australia, Mexico and Thailand for the first 50 years of my life. Imagine the shock of finding sanity within the U.S.!

Pakistan blows goats.
Taiwan was great! The people were terrific. The shopping has to be seen to be believed. If you don't see it you can have it made for a good price. I don't think I would want to move there but visiting is always a pleasure.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 AM

123 posts, read 258,293 times
It's annoying that my apartment is 81 degrees day and night. You'd think it would cool down to at least 78 when it gets dark, but apparently not.

For those that have lived here for years, is it normal for the low to be only 70 degrees this time of year?

Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,324,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Jack View Post
For those that have lived here for years, is it normal for the low to be only 70 degrees this time of year?
Yep, its the warmest and most humid time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County