Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

Some well-known bottlenecks and ways to get around them:

1) I-5 between CA-22 and CA-55:

Going south on I-5,
Take CA-22 East
Then CA-55 South
And back on I-5 South.

Going north on I-5,
Take Ca-55 North
The CA-22 West
Then back on I-5 North.

2) CA-22 East approaching I-5:

This interchange can get backed up for miles (both in the morning and afternoon, sometimes even weekends.)

If your destination is in Downtown Santa Ana:

Take the Bristol St. exit (use Harbor if the traffic is already backed up there) and use the surface streets to get to your destination.

If your destination is in Irvine or further south on I-5:

Skip this dreaded interchange and zip past it in the left lane.
Then take Ca-55 South
Then take I-5 South

If you need to take CA-57 north:

Skip this dreaded interchange and zip past it in the left lane.
Take CA-55 north
Take the surface streets to get to your destination. If your destination is further along CA-57, take CA-91 west for a few miles when CA-55 ends.

Alternatively, take the first exit right after this interchange, then immediately take CA-22 West and then CA-57 North.

3) I-5 between CA-91 and I-605 (where it's only 3-lanes in each direction):

Get around it using CA-91 and I-605 (similar to #1)

If 91 and/or 605 are also backed up, then take the surface streets paralleling I-5 (you may need the help of a GPS or look on Google Maps before hand before attempting this.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 AM

193 posts, read 309,850 times
I worked in Newport, I made it a point to always live close to work, walking distance. I was afraid I'd go postal in traffic.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 AM

768 posts, read 718,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
Thanks for the great info (and to others too!).

What's the "IE"?
It's definitely Inland but NOT an Empire. I lived near there as a child. I have no idea why they call it that. It used to be covered with orange groves, lemon groves and some grapefruit. No more. Chino Hills was just that, rolling hills made up of personal ranches. One good change came when the Kaiser Steel Plant in Fontana was closed. What a difference in air quality!

Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 AM

6 posts, read 12,103 times
Here are details for you:

21 miles - Brea to Irvine (7am - 9:45am) = 1 - 1.5 hours, 57s to 22e to 55s or 57s to 5s to 55s (especially during school year)

All side streets are jammed, and this does not factor in traffic accidents.

Normal commute time at 4am = 21 mins.
I get no sleep, but no longer have to deal with the traffic!

Old 09-11-2012, 10:24 PM

415 posts, read 615,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzem View Post
Yikes! I'm assuming you're talking about the extremes, Riverside to LA? My wife and I relocated recently and are renting a home in Irvine. We figured that once we get to know the area and the traffice patterns, we'll look for a place to buy in 12-18 months. I work in Anaheim (eastern) and she works in Irvine off the Costa Mesa Fwy and Macarthur. What are yours or anyone else thoughts on Anaheim Hills and Corona for rush hour traffic?
No, there are people who do that. I fail to see how living out there is worth it if you live in LA or OC counties and have to go near the coast. There is a person in the Spanish class I am taking who commutes from Riverside county to Fullerton, two nights a week. Takes her an hour, going against traffic.

I used to live in Salt Lake City suburbia (Layton) and it would take me 45 minutes to get to school or work, with SLC traffic, which, while not as awful as California traffic, is no picnic either. Moved out here and said no more of that - I will live closer to work and school. Best. Decision. Ever.

Anaheim Hills might be a pain. I used to live closer to the 57 (92806, east side of Anaheim) and would drive to Irvine around Macarthur to meet friends. Not a horrible commute, but not a picnic either. More like Salt Lake City rush hour - everyone going around 50 mph, the roads more towards packed.

Corona...we won't be talking about that. Lets just say it will not be pleasant. I used to work in Pomona, there was a nurse I worked with who lived in Corona, and just going from Corona to Pomona was bad enough. I think the was another thread on this board where someone asked how it was to commute from Corona to Anaheim, and that was worse.

You might save money living further away, but as far as I am concerned its just not worth it. Doing the distance commute in Salt Lake was bad enough for me, and that was without California traffic. I think I would be bald by now if I lived in the IE and commuted to my job. No freaking way. No thanks. Not going to happen. I will live in a box on the side of the freeway first.

If you are thinking Corona or Anaheim Hills, in my opinion, choose Anaheim Hills. Less headache.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County