Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times

Advertisements

Superficiality (and conservatism) aside I don't mind people from south county.

Trophy wives exist, and so do d-bags, but a lot of people that I've met from there are nice enough.

It's funny, in LA people seem to be a lot more pretentious and in some other ways more superficial and more annoying, and yet I'd align myself more politically towards them. Go figure.

I think some people in LA are trying to be someone else, while some people in south OC are just being who they are. Take that as you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 02:37 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
In my experience, most locations with pervasive reputations for varying characteristics (positive and negative both) have earned them. I used to think places are what we make of them, etc., and while that is unarguably true, it's also quite naiive. Know where you're going and what you're getting into. That's my motto.
I, too, used to think the same. I've moved enough times to know that every word of what you say above is true. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Generally speaking there is a huge divide between Newport Coast and say Balboa Peninsula. Locals have always been cool to me. transplants like myself..it's a crap shoot. Just like what happened to my hometown in Colorado...not just a California thing.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM

98 posts, read 161,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If you ever do move to OC, may I suggest one of the gated communities around the Newport area? Your people are there.
No uglies pls

Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Superficiality (and conservatism) aside I don't mind people from south county.

Trophy wives exist, and so do d-bags, but a lot of people that I've met from there are nice enough.

It's funny, in LA people seem to be a lot more pretentious and in some other ways more superficial and more annoying, and yet I'd align myself more politically towards them. Go figure.

I think some people in LA are trying to be someone else, while some people in south OC are just being who they are. Take that as you will.
I completely get this -- and it's a very interesting perspective.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,171 times
Parts of OC are the among the wealthiest communities in the USA so there are a lot of rich folks flaunting their money here. Mercedes C class, Lexus IS/ES or BMW 3 series in OC is similar to Toyota Corolla elsewhere... a starter car that even some kids have. People in their 30s buy starter homes over half a million dollars and that is referred to as a "cheap" house. People go to bars and drop $100+ and think they didn't spend too much.

The wealth or at least the way people spend money (whether it is real or on credit nobody knows...) is certainly impressive.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Parts of OC are the among the wealthiest communities in the USA so there are a lot of rich folks flaunting their money here. Mercedes C class, Lexus IS/ES or BMW 3 series in OC is similar to Toyota Corolla elsewhere... a starter car that even some kids have. People in their 30s buy starter homes over half a million dollars and that is referred to as a "cheap" house. People go to bars and drop $100+ and think they didn't spend too much.

The wealth or at least the way people spend money (whether it is real or on credit nobody knows...) is certainly impressive.
I think that's pretty common knowledge about OC. It's certainly its reputation. I just wonder if it's overwhelming (the ostentatiousness) or merely a backdrop. There are quite a few extremely wealthy communities in the country -- but what makes OC's residents or area lifestyle unique? Is it a "flaunt" factor? Is wealth the single most defining demographic? Are there any other defining characteristics beyond the area's obsession with luxury cars? Doesn't anyone move there (or stay there) for the love of the ocean and one of the most beautiful shorelines in the U.S? (It beats the heck out of Maine, Cape Cod and the Mid-Atlantic coastline IMO). Is that Housewives of Orange County TV show nearly a documentary, or is it ridiculously far-fetched?

Also wondering if "Whittier" is in OC?

Old 09-07-2012, 05:32 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I think that's pretty common knowledge about OC. It's certainly its reputation. I just wonder if it's overwhelming (the ostentatiousness) or merely a backdrop. There are quite a few extremely wealthy communities in the country -- but what makes OC's residents or area lifestyle unique? Is it a "flaunt" factor? Is wealth the single most defining demographic? Are there any other defining characteristics beyond the area's obsession with luxury cars? Doesn't anyone move there (or stay there) for the love of the ocean and one of the most beautiful shorelines in the U.S? (It beats the heck out of Maine, Cape Cod and the Mid-Atlantic coastline IMO). Is that Housewives of Orange County TV show nearly a documentary, or is it ridiculously far-fetched?
That sums up some parts of Orange County, like Laguna Nigel and Laguna Beach. Most of the stereotypes people have about that part of Orange County are the same that they have for Beverly Hills, Malibu, or even the Hamptons over in NY or Greenwich in CT. It's a rich area... you're gonna get people who flaunt their fortunes. Same goes anywhere.

But again, most of the rest of OC is fairly normal. Westminster, Santa Ana, Tustin, etc. are all places that are basically middle class, and there's definitely a working class in Orange County, too (it's not like everyone who makes burritos or works in a parking lot in Orange County drives aaaaaaall the way down from LA to make their minimum wage!).

When it comes to basically any TV show, especially reality TV, you gain an audience and make money by choosing the most grabbing things about a given area. Watch a show like The Shield, and you'd think that at any given time, in any part of LA, there's a good chance that someone's gonna do a drive by. Watch a show like the Housewives of OC, and what are you going to see? The most obnoxious, gaudy, loud, pushy stereotypes of rich women that you can possibly find. They're not going to choose a dowdy, stay-at-home mom in Irvine who frets over what she's going to make for dinner tonight, how her kids' grades are, or whether the dealership is shafting her on her Explorer's oil change.

Being a native Northeasterner, I agree with you on Maine and the Cape. I love it here, and if I had the choice between a summer home on the Cape or a summer home in OC, I'd take the latter without a second thought.

Quote:
Also wondering if "Whittier" is in OC?
Whittier is in LA County.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 09-07-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 05:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Jurgensen's was sold to Dick Richard's in 1950's probably and then Richard's, which had two stores then, was sold to Gelson's. Dick had lost interest in the grocery business with its low margins and founded the Bank of Newport with a couple of other men so the stores became a distraction.
It was Jurgensen's well into the 60s. I wasn't around there until '61 and I recall it being the nicest store there for at least the rest of the decade.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Great post, 415 - thanks for casting a wide net. And glad to know someone agrees with me about the coastline comparisons. It will be very hard to give up looking out our windows at the ocean ~ but trading the Atlantic for the Pacific is worth some sacrifices IMO. We might have to live in a shoebox if we want to see the water anywhere in OC, but it's all about priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County