Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
I still have friends and relatives that think Indian and Thai food are a little too exotic for them,
Do these friends have little kids? I am wondering if perhaps those ethnic restaurants would be too exotic for family dining. I write this because this is indeed our case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 PM

795 posts, read 1,584,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboywhatamess View Post
I've been lurking for an awful long time here on CD and finally decided to post.

I have recently moved to Irvine and I am in corporate housing.

I'm married, in my early 50's and and pretty normal as far as OC goes.

I've lived all over the country and for the first time I am havng a really hard time fitting in.

I am married, the typical OC woman (fit, trim, look great for my age (thanks to boxtox - ha ha ha) tiny (size 2) educated and worldly (I've lived all over the world and the states) and I feel confident in my physical situation.

What I'm having the hardest time with is clicking with the locals.

At first I thought it was "just me" and perhaps I was doing something wrong.

I don't think that anymore.

I've lived in some big cities before, so I get how it works. Usually the bigger the city the easier it is to fit in. NOT HERE.

But da*m, people here really have no interest in being friendly to anyone. I'm in South OC and maybe that makes a difference, but people just are not friendly here.
Well thats your problem right there. Welcome to life in South OC. Definitley not a friendly place.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:21 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do these friends have little kids? I am wondering if perhaps those ethnic restaurants would be too exotic for family dining. I write this because this is indeed our case.
I don't get how that would be too exotic for family dining. I was raised on ethnic food, and I turned out just fine.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I don't get how that would be too exotic for family dining. I was raised on ethnic food, and I turned out just fine.
Now this is one thing we can agree upon. I spent seven or eight of my first 23 years of life living in different Asian countries, eating their foods, learning their languages, observing and adopting their customs and habits while immersing myself in their culture (when not shooting or being shot at in one case) and as far as I know, it didn't hurt me a bit overall. I consider it to a been a privilege and grand adventures.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Now this is one thing we can agree upon. I spent seven or eight of my first 23 years of life living in different Asian countries, eating their foods, learning their languages, observing and adopting their customs and habits while immersing myself in their culture (when not shooting or being shot at in one case) and as far as I know, it didn't hurt me a bit overall. I consider it to a been a privilege and grand adventures.
I wasn't aware that we previously disagreed, but I'm glad that we agree on this.

In fact, not only is ethnic food family-friendly, I think it's very important that children get exposed to other cultures, foods, traditions, etc. at a young age.

But to the OP, I don't think she's too worldly for OC. I think she just hasn't yet set enough roots in the right part of OC for her. Once she does, and gets out to the same places seeing the same faces, she'll be just fine.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
It's risky to take kids to a foreign food place. They'll complain, waste my money, ruin my meal. Many kids aren't that adventurous. I love foreign food too (American food is pretty bland in fact, Thanksgiving is the most overrated meal in history....)

Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
It's risky to take kids to a foreign food place. They'll complain, waste my money, ruin my meal. Many kids aren't that adventurous. I love foreign food too (American food is pretty bland in fact, Thanksgiving is the most overrated meal in history....)
If they get exposed to it enough, it becomes as commonplace as a cheeseburger and eventually it becomes comfort food because it's what they know and enjoy, or so my experience has been.

I personally love Thanksgiving, but for the family gathering aspect (and cranberries), and the fact that it's one of the least commercialized holidays (thank goodness ). We have ethnic food at our Thanksgiving, too, though (yes, mixed with the American - don't ask, that's how we roll lol).

Old 10-19-2012, 12:23 PM

82 posts, read 131,632 times
Quote:
Charles,

The way I found best to introduce new foods to my children was to find an exotic restaurant that also looked different. That way the children could be fully immersed in the experience.
I took to ordering "safe" foods along with new ones for my children to try. We had one rule when it came to my children trying new foods - take a bite and if you don't like it you don't have to eat anymore of it.
bit my tongue many a time trying not to say, "Oh it's not that bad, just eat it." when my kids tried something that they disliked. But I realize that each person has different tastes and what I might find pleasurable someone else may find it not to their liking.
Because I allowed my kids to decide for themselves if they liked it or not and never threatened them with having to finish it because "you ordered it" they were happy to oblige me in trying new foods. It made going out to restaurants fun and not stressful.
Recently we traveled to China and my daughter and I had a blast trying new foods - many things I had never even heard of but tried them anyway. It was my HUSBAND that remained starved the entire trip because he just couldn't bring himself to try some of the foods presented to us!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that we previously disagreed, but I'm glad that we agree on this.
We haven't, outwardly.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We haven't, outwardly.
Just as well.

I'm typically a very happy person that obsessives over puppies and the elderly and believes in not discussing controversial topics and being nice to one another on here, and off of here. If you have secret disagreements with me, I can't even imagine how many others you have secret disagreements with. But I suppose that's another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County