Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:22 PM

683 posts, read 4,606,235 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I belong to a church group of about 10-12 people, and we are looking for some volunteer opportunities in and around OC that we might be able to help out with. Most of us work full time so we'd need to find something in the evening or on the weekend. I mentioned that since Thanksgiving and Christmas were coming up, that it would be easy to find things. Apparently I then volunteered myself to find something for the group. I've found a few things online but honestly, not as much as I expected. Does anyone know of or belong to organizations that would be looking for a group of volunteers? We can do anything from collecting cans to packaging things to hanging out with people or doing yardwork. We're open to whatever needs are in our community.

Websites I've already checked out include: One OC, OC Food Bank, OC Rescue Mission.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,018,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Hi everyone,
I belong to a church group of about 10-12 people, and we are looking for some volunteer opportunities in and around OC that we might be able to help out with. Most of us work full time so we'd need to find something in the evening or on the weekend. I mentioned that since Thanksgiving and Christmas were coming up, that it would be easy to find things. Apparently I then volunteered myself to find something for the group. I've found a few things online but honestly, not as much as I expected. Does anyone know of or belong to organizations that would be looking for a group of volunteers? We can do anything from collecting cans to packaging things to hanging out with people or doing yardwork. We're open to whatever needs are in our community.

Websites I've already checked out include: One OC, OC Food Bank, OC Rescue Mission.

Thanks!
I think that's fabulous!

I do a large amount of charity work (on the east coast) throughout the year, and from experience can tell you that holidays book up very fast and are hard to get into. It will take more effort to find something during the holidays, but please don't give up.

Also, remember that you are needed all year round, so if you can't find something that works for your team during the holidays, I hope you'll consider rescheduling that good deed for later in the year when you're needed even more.

Since I'm not yet back on the west coast, I don't have CA specifics for you other than what can be found on Google. But if you're in MD, let me know and I can hook you up.

Happy volunteering and good luck!

Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Quote:
I belong to a church group
we are looking for some volunteer opportunities
Out of curiosity, if you do find an opportunity to volunteer, are you going to associate your church with your efforts?

If for whatever reason, you were prohibited from mentioning your church's name in association with your efforts, would you still volunteer?

Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
You could try Friendly Center in Orange or Second Harvest/Forgotten Harvest whichever it is. There are several small groups in Santa Ana. I cannot remember the names, sorry. 10 people is a lot, yo might fill their entire need for a day.

When I did this before, several charities said they get overwhelmed with help in November and December, but cannot get volunteers in other months. They asked if we could help them at a slow time instead, so we did.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
I think that's fabulous!

I do a large amount of charity work (on the east coast) throughout the year, and from experience can tell you that holidays book up very fast and are hard to get into. It will take more effort to find something during the holidays, but please don't give up.

Also, remember that you are needed all year round, so if you can't find something that works for your team during the holidays, I hope you'll consider rescheduling that good deed for later in the year when you're needed even more.

Since I'm not yet back on the west coast, I don't have CA specifics for you other than what can be found on Google. But if you're in MD, let me know and I can hook you up.

Happy volunteering and good luck!
Yes, we are definitely interesting in doing things outside of the holiday season. We've done some things in the past also. I just figured this would be an especially easy time to find something, but maybe not since more and more people want to help...which is great!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Out of curiosity, if you do find an opportunity to volunteer, are you going to associate your church with your efforts?

If for whatever reason, you were prohibited from mentioning your church's name in association with your efforts, would you still volunteer?

Yes, we would still volunteer. Our church is quite large and we are just a smaller group of people within that get together at least once a week to do a Bible study and pray together. In addition to meeting weekly, we try to do things to serve others instead of just having our own nice little group. We usually do tell the people we're volunteering with what church we are from, but we would still volunteer if it were prohibited (which I don't know why it would be?).

Old 10-26-2012, 07:06 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,116,672 times
People are in need all year round. Why just focus on the holidays? How about putting together a New Years resolution of service over the following 12 months? Also, it would be better if you gave the charities cash so they could hire someone down on their luck who needs a job to to the work. Believe me your spooning out beans on a plate may do a lot for you but does almost nothing to the disadvantaged.

If you must do something, collecting and wrapping new toys for poor children is a good thing.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
People are in need all year round. Why just focus on the holidays? How about putting together a New Years resolution of service over the following 12 months? Also, it would be better if you gave the charities cash so they could hire someone down on their luck who needs a job to to the work. Believe me your spooning out beans on a plate may do a lot for you but does almost nothing to the disadvantaged.

If you must do something, collecting and wrapping new toys for poor children is a good thing.
As I mentioned above, we do things year round. Just so happens that November and December are right around the corner, and that's why I'm asking. Don't worry, we're going to continue to do service projects after Christmas is over.

Most of us do give regularly to our church and do donate to different charities. However, we feel that it's also important to get out there and really, literally, lend a hand. To be intentional and personal about serving. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Quote:
To be intentional and personal about serving. I don't think that's a bad thing.
You might be right. It might get you into heaven.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:41 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,116,672 times
Quote:
As I mentioned above, we do things year round. Just so happens that November and December are right around the corner, and that's why I'm asking. Don't worry, we're going to continue to do service projects after Christmas is over.

Most of us do give regularly to our church and do donate to different charities. However, we feel that it's also important to get out there and really, literally, lend a hand. To be intentional and personal about serving. I don't think that's a bad thing.
Fighting for economic justice is also a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County