Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you regularly use transit for commuting to work and other activities?
Yes 3 25.00%
No 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 03:40 PM

231 posts, read 590,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
You may want to snop sneering long enough to think about what you're going to do as gas hits $6, $7, $8 a gallon, with possible spot shortages.
Charles' answer in post #5 (since you seem to have missed it) was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I get about 16MPG and drive about 18 miles to work, say two gallons at $4.25 that's $8.50 in 22 minutes in the morning and maybe 30 minutes in the PM, call it an hour. So I conveniently get to work for the cost of less than $10 and about one hour. Plus I have the freedom to deviate my route (which I do about 2/3s of the time to run errands or pick up kids at soccer practice, (stop at my girlfriends before my wife finds out..jk...).

According to Google Maps we're talking 90 minutes minimum one way, or an extra two hours a day of driving or about half of my disposable time a day. Those are valuable hours.

So, If gas doubled my cost would go to $17/day and I might get home faster since traffic might go down 10%.

If it tripled, then that's about $26 a day.

If it quadrupled ($18/gallon), that's about $34 a day. Maybe I'm thinking about it.
I agree with Charles' post above. Gasoline would have to get very expensive to force people to use public transportation.

To the OP- I grew up in Orange County and have never used a bus for transportation, except when I was forced to use the bus in elementary and junior high school. When I got to high school I walked and/or rode my bicycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
When I lived in Chicago, I took the bus to and from work everyday. It took about 45 minutes each way, which was fine. By car it would've taken about 15, but I didn't mind the ride (especially since I didn't have to worry about defrosting my car or shoveling it out of the snow, etc.).
The weather is too nice in Orange County to force any use of the bus for weather concerns such as snow and ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 03:12 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
The main impedient to bus use is the time factor. You can attract more affluent users where you have express service to a major job center or rail station from a single point like a commuter parking lot. What most people won't put up with is a milk run type of service.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The main impedient to bus use is the time factor. You can attract more affluent users where you have express service to a major job center or rail station from a single point like a commuter parking lot. What most people won't put up with is a milk run type of service.
Even and express bus will still be subject to the same traffic conditions as someone driving themselves so it'll never be faster than driving.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Even and express bus will still be subject to the same traffic conditions as someone driving themselves so it'll never be faster than driving.
It will if you have HOV or bus only lanes. Did you get rid of all that after I left?

Old 11-07-2012, 03:14 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,354 times
According to the US census only 3% of OC residents use public transportation.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliam77 View Post
According to the US census only 3% of OC residents use public transportation.

Does the census count illegal aliens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County