Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,593,605 times

Advertisements

One of the many things that separates us from the dark ages (and things like sharia law), is the eighth amendment of the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:58 PM

193 posts, read 309,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
One of the many things that separates us from the dark ages (and things like sharia law), is the eighth amendment of the Constitution.

Too bad, it keeps us from having justice.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfTheCars View Post
Too bad, it keeps us from having justice.
Actually, it seems like that's exactly what was had in this case, after years of little to no action. One step in a positive direction.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
Actually, it seems like that's exactly what was had in this case, after years of little to no action. One step in a positive direction.
What are the odds of:

1) Maria actually repaying that $15k

2) The kid not vandalizing again

Last edited by bhcompy; 11-12-2012 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: editted out potentially inappropriate noun.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Highly unlikely the city will see much of the $15k, and highly likely that he will vandalize again, probably more likely that the kid will graduate to heavier offences, when tagging becomes boring. With that being said (I can barely believe I'm typing this), putting him in the system will escalate/expedite more severe offences.

Anyway, my comment was directed at mr. sharia law, as well as the fact that the city is at least looking at revamping current punishment for graffiti. As long as they continue to mold it to what works, seems reasonable.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
They should send the bill to the "gang" not the mother since it is his friends who likely to have influenced and manipulated him into this. I bet his mom is not even aware of it, especially if she is a single parent, this fine seems a bit overkill either way.

Also;
Quote:
LAKE FOREST – The parent of a teen caught tagging at least 23 sites in the city with gang-related graffit
Really? He got caught 23 times doing this or is it that one time and they are hitting him with 22 similar graffiti as well?

How would this be an educational, a corrective punishment for a well-off family? For a middle class family a financial burden will not correct this type of behavior, it would more likely fuel it.

I really don't think harsh fines and pointless punishments will make a real, permanent change. If the parent(s) failed to do a good job up until this point, how will it make a different going forward?
If he is a real gang banger with no hopes of redemption, send his ass to juvenile hall, if he is just a confused, clueless teenager and this is his first screw-up, educate while punishing him. Make him paint or clean the wall after school or on the weekends under supervision and fine the parent for the time of the supervisory staff plus materials, that is it.

Perhaps, I am naive or a dreamer?

Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM

likely they caught him this time, and were able link him to the other 22 tags. I doubt they let him off the hook the other 22 times and decided to fight it this time around.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Quote:
likely they caught him this time, and were able link him to the other 22 tags. I doubt they let him off the hook the other 22 times and decided to fight it this time around.
So I figured but since there was no mention of witnesses and since he is a part of a gang, how do they know, beyond the reasonable doubt, that it was indeed him that made the other 22?

Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Typically, people tag their own "name", symbol, tag, etc. The culture says it belongs to them, and if someone else uses it, it can be very bad for the impersonator. Its almost never very hard to link tagging cases to one another, because they almost always have the same "DNA". Its akin to signing your name, every time you commit a crime. Also, taggers also take some kind of pride with their work, they often enjoy admitting it to law enforcement, could be the case here.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
So I figured but since there was no mention of witnesses and since he is a part of a gang, how do they know, beyond the reasonable doubt, that it was indeed him that made the other 22?
He basically left his signature, easy to prove forensically if it went that far. No doubt he denied it, but the denial would do no good given tangible evidence.

It would be great if gangs were all incorporated with addresses filed with the Secretary of State and responsible Boards of Directors. That's not how they work, though. As a minor his only legal identity is under his parents. That makes them legally culpable for criminal activities. If it's at the point where his own family has to surrender their responsibility then he becomes a ward of the state, right? That means jail time.

My naivete and dreaminess tells me the family can control it, with proper incentive (a hefty fine). Even if the state can't collect, the hell of bureaucracy is quite the punishment. Let's never forget the kid committed a crime against the public. Someone has to be meaningfully accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County