U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 22,553 times

Advertisements

Is Anaheim a suburb of LA? Thanks for the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 09:36 AM

916 posts, read 3,268,563 times
Southern California is basically all 1 big continuous suburb. Technically Anaheim is a city within Orange County. But effectively all of Orange County is a suburb of LA. There are some distinct areas within SoCal but mostly along the coast.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,757,577 times
The owner of the major league baseball team that plays at Angels Stadium of Anaheim changed the name from "Anaheim Angels" to "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim". The city of Anaheim took the Angels owners to court and lost their bid to restore the team name. It that doesn't make the city feel like a suburb of Los Angeles, I don't know what else would. Yesterday I was in downtown LA, and my mid-day drive time from downtown LA to Anaheim was about 30 minutes on I-5. I would consider any place within a 1 hour drive of downtown LA a "suburb".

Old 10-14-2007, 08:19 PM

7,475 posts, read 20,194,951 times
Anaheim is close to LA, as noted in the post above, but no way in Hell is it a suburb.
OC, and every city in it, is a cut above anything LA has to offer. Don't try to compare the two. LA is a typical dirty old city, Anaheim and OC is all about living the good life....

Old 10-14-2007, 08:21 PM

659 posts, read 1,835,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Anaheim is close to LA, as noted in the post above, but no way in Hell is it a suburb.
OC, and every city in it, is a cut above anything LA has to offer. Don't try to compare the two. LA is a typical dirty old city, Anaheim and OC is all about living the good life....
this is from a somewhat recent oc transplant but to my knowledge anaheim isn't considered nice. perhaps compared to LA.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,944,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
this is from a somewhat recent oc transplant but to my knowledge anaheim isn't considered nice. perhaps compared to LA.
Yeah Anaheim (aka Anacrime) competes with Santa Ana for the most run down city in OC.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:18 PM

916 posts, read 3,268,563 times
Orange County has a lot to offer for people who want a suburban lifestyle. I'm not bashing. But outside of Seal, Huntington, Newport, and Laguna, there really isn't anything unique about the rest of OC. Basically it's cookie cutter housing tracts with cookie cutter shopping centers. Most towns are relatively safe and have above average schools so they do have something to offer middle class families. But on a national scale they are LA suburbs. Tell somebody in Nevada that you live in Lake Forest or Ladera Ranch or Mission Viejo and you'll end up following that with "it's about 35 miles south of LA".

Old 10-15-2007, 02:55 AM

119 posts, read 806,624 times
Anaheim was consdidered a Suburb of LA from the 1950's to 1990's (some demographers still classify Anaheim a suburb.) Anaheim has some urban characteristics minorities, traffic , crime. But the crime rate in Anaheim is nowhere like the you find in LA, Compton, Lynwood, Inglewood South Gate, Huntington Park; City of San Fernando ,LBC( Long Beach city).

Where Anaheim, Santa Ana, Garden Grove, Fullerton and the city of Orange "evolved' when the aerospace jobs left California and people either left the state or Moved to the Inland Empire for jobs in warehousing, commercial or industrial careers. Others who had good paying jobs in either headed to Anaheim Hills, Hills of Orange/Lemon Heights; Tustin Ranch/ Cowan Hieghts; Brea, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Chino Hills, Corona. Or South Orange County towns such as Newport Beach/Newport Coast/ Crystal Cove area, Portola Hills/Foothill Ranch/Las Flores/Coto De Caza Rancho Santa Margarita etc.

Minorities moved to Anaheim seeking a better life and better careers. Gangs began to grow.

In the Last Ten years Anaheim is trying become the urban center of the county Creating the Platinum Triangle district where people work rest and play transforming Anaheim to a small scale Long Beach, LA, San Diego , San Francisco with high rises apartments, condos, offices, bars; restaurants.

I know people many people want Orange County tract sprawl (but land being expensive and little amounts of minorities continue to increase) people want to stop urban growth; they can write ballots banning high rises and urban development there and can use blockbusting tactics to keep minorities out of Anaheim and Orange County thats not going to happen(by the way the tactics is illegal.) If you want to avoid urban centers like Anaheim and Santa Ana . Stick to Newport Beach, San Clemente, Dana Point Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel; Aliso Viejo, Ladera Ranch and San Juan Capistano,you won't have problems.

Last edited by hgclyde; 10-15-2007 at 03:28 AM..

Old 10-15-2007, 09:04 AM

8,224 posts, read 27,112,056 times
From an outsider's perspective, much of OC feels like a suburb to LA. When we visited and stayed in Anaheim I thought for a moment I was back home in Houston... except when I saw those triple-left-turn stoplight lanes.

The OC we saw felt like a crowded string of nearly-overdeveloped super-suburbs. They were complete with neighborhoods behind strip malls on the city streets that had plenty of chain stores just like here.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM

264 posts, read 287,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah Anaheim (aka Anacrime) competes with Santa Ana for the most run down city in OC.
Lest you forget Garden Grove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or