Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:38 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

The perhaps stuff could go on forever, but you'll notice I didn't venture into "wimp" territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 01:02 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
The perhaps stuff could go on forever, but you'll notice I didn't venture into "wimp" territory.
lol Very true. I suppose I say "perhaps..." because I've been that girl for those reasons, and I'm sure I got stares, but I don't care.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:39 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,714,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Funny, I live in San Diego, and people here are the exact opposite. Even on a frosty morning, or on a cold, wet winter's day, people will still insist on wearing shorts and flip-flops when sane people would bundle up. Here, it's almost a beachy defiance! I think in OC, bundling up may be more of a fashion statement... ;-)
I seem to be warm blooded I guess, don't really feel the "cold" that we in CA get.

I was born in WA and have pictures of me bundled up like an eskimo, before moving to Phoenix at age 2 through 6 and feeling the heat. Most of family is in Idaho and we used to go for Christmas vacation, so I know what snowy cold feels like.

It gets hotter here in summers than in SD for the most part, and suppose those in SD feel they have "just right" weather, even with a light frost.

I will note that talking about the weather used to be a way to have a convo with a stranger.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
I moved here specifically and almost solely because I like warm and sunny weather. If liked cool and grey weather, there are much cheaper places I could live. So when the weather is not sunny, of course I'll be unhappy.

This is like playing hip-hop in a piano bar and wondering why the patrons complain. You come to a place for a certain thing, and when you don't get that thing, it's annoying.
I wonder when people will stop treating geographical locales as if they were Disneyland or some other commercial enterprise; buying the advertisement, complaining about the reality. It certainly doesn't help that the tourism industry plays that up with every type of media. But being cheated by WEATHER? Really?

I can recall, many years ago, a former boss of mine relating how someone she had as a guest here for the first time wondered out loud "where are all the homeless?" Without missing a beat, one of our co-workers piped up with "I guess they know their place." As if there were homeless people waiting in the wings for the tourists to watch them at the proper time.

Sorry, we have rainy late falls, winters, and early springs here. That's just how it is.

But I guess it's better to complain about it on a forum than to depress everyone else.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
I guess my point is, as I have said elsewhere, that the creation owes you neither entertainment value nor good weather.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityx View Post
After living in the Pacific Northwest and Northern California for a number of years I wonder why Southern Californians are so over-reactionary to even the modest change in weather conditions.
Obviously, many people can't drive well even during drizzly periods but the syndrome goes beyond that. I'm not sure if people even know how to operate their heating systems efficiently. My job takes me into people's homes regularly and it seems well over half of the homes I visit crank the heat up to the point where it feels like a sauna. Very uncomfortable. Even at some retailers like Wal-Mart and Starbucks the heat is blaring and I feel myself breaking a sweat before I even walk out the door. There's a joke around the office that as soon as the temps dip below 70 degrees here, it's time to crank up the heat. I'm really believing it at this point. There is really no reason for healthy people to use the heater unless the temperature becomes unusually frigid; mid 40s or below I'm thinking. Even at that, for Pete's sake, set your thermostat at 65 which will prevent your business or home from feeling stuffy, hot, and downright uncomfortable.
I've never been a big fan of artificial heat sources. It dries me out, gives me a headache and just makes me feel blah. I much prefer to put on another layer to compensate.
How can you complain about SCal-ers being weather wimps, when you seemingly can't take the heat? LoL

Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I'll admit to being a weather wimp! I've lived in several different climates, with the worst for me personally being Germany. There wasn't much snow in winter, but it was so dark (being so far north, the sun didn't rise untl 8 a.m., then pitch black by 4:30), cloudy and endless cold rain/drizzle from about Novempber through April.

I lived in OC for 10 years and noticed that I felt cold often in winter. Like a day where the high was in the 60s, low in the 40s felt cold. I think your body adjusts to your climate or something. Now I live in Denver and if it's sunny and 50, I feel pretty good. If I go out first thing in the morning and it's 25, it seems pleasant. Of course that's because recent days have had highs below freezing and lows in the single digits. Once your body feels that kind of cold, just getting back to normal temps in the 40s feels ok.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'll admit to being a weather wimp! I've lived in several different climates, with the worst for me personally being Germany. There wasn't much snow in winter, but it was so dark (being so far north, the sun didn't rise untl 8 a.m., then pitch black by 4:30), cloudy and endless cold rain/drizzle from about Novempber through April.

I lived in OC for 10 years and noticed that I felt cold often in winter. Like a day where the high was in the 60s, low in the 40s felt cold. I think your body adjusts to your climate or something. Now I live in Denver and if it's sunny and 50, I feel pretty good. If I go out first thing in the morning and it's 25, it seems pleasant. Of course that's because recent days have had highs below freezing and lows in the single digits. Once your body feels that kind of cold, just getting back to normal temps in the 40s feels ok.
Agreed. It's all relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County