Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 4,380 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving down to So.Cal from Seattle and staying with a friend in Palos Verdes until I can land a job, find a house, and move out asap. I'm 18 and am hoping to pursue my art and make connections, maybe going into writing, and I want to move into a community where I can be inspired by others with similar interests my own age to keep me going with my own pursuits. I want a community (preferably not too inland) that has people my age, artsy, an active music scene, as well as having a decent night life. I don't mind the city, or a smaller town, whichever you think has the most artsy vibes and opportunities. I don't have loads of money, just what I have saved from my job the past year, but will certainly be finding another once I get down there. I'd love it to be diverse in culture and interests, and I'm not too picky about it being a super fancy neighborhood (seeing as I probably couldn't afford it). I don't know much about apartment rates down there whatsoever. I'm kind of jumping into this and hoping to find a stroke of luck that might land me a job that might need my artistic/writing talents, and I think that could best be found in a community of people with similar goals!

thanks for any info/advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
Long Beach might be the place for you

Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Laguna Beach - except you will have to live in a tent, share a bedroom or find a sugardaddy. It is insanely expensive.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyss View Post
Hi, I'm moving down to So.Cal from Seattle and staying with a friend in Palos Verdes until I can land a job, find a house, and move out asap. I'm 18 and am hoping to pursue my art and make connections, maybe going into writing, and I want to move into a community where I can be inspired by others with similar interests my own age to keep me going with my own pursuits. I want a community (preferably not too inland) that has people my age, artsy, an active music scene, as well as having a decent night life. I don't mind the city, or a smaller town, whichever you think has the most artsy vibes and opportunities. I don't have loads of money, just what I have saved from my job the past year, but will certainly be finding another once I get down there. I'd love it to be diverse in culture and interests, and I'm not too picky about it being a super fancy neighborhood (seeing as I probably couldn't afford it). I don't know much about apartment rates down there whatsoever. I'm kind of jumping into this and hoping to find a stroke of luck that might land me a job that might need my artistic/writing talents, and I think that could best be found in a community of people with similar goals!

thanks for any info/advice!
Laguna Beach would certainly be the ideal place for someone with a passion for art, but you could also do a share in nearby Aliso Viejo. To say that AV is nothing like Laguna is an understatement, but artists from Laguna Beach, including some students and faculty members from Laguna College of Art and Design, live in AV. If I recall correctly, the very recently retired Director of the Laguna Art Museum also lives in Aliso Viejo.

I have been told there is an active art scene in AV, but it must be in its early stages given the fact that the city is so very young.

If you lived in Aliso, in addition to networking and getting inspiration in Laguna, you could also try to connect with fellow artists at Soka University in AV. Soka is America's only Buddhist (inspired) university and has a thriving arts program with exhibits (Founders Hall Art Gallery) open to the public.

As far as a job goes, PetSmart in Aliso Viejo is always hiring. I've met an artist or two who worked there part-time while pursuing their dreams. They obviously had roommates. Shares seem to cost about $650-$1000. You might have to piece together a couple of part-time jobs with flexible schedules.

Last edited by pacific2; 12-06-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM

Having been a teenaged-to-early 20s musician living in Aliso Viejo, and frequenting Laguna Beach, I'm not sure if that would be the place for you. It's a great place for young families and professionals, and I would enjoy living there now (as a somewhat settled down 33yo), but it's not a very exciting place to be as a young artist or musician. Laguna Beach has a great art school and the occasional interesting street performer, but the music scene there isn't very exciting unless you're into middle-aged ex-rockers playing top 40s covers of the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,380 times
@Joe Van Fossen

Thanks Joe for the advice, that doesn't sound as active or good for artistic networking, do you have any ideas on a good town nearby that's a little more thriving in current music/arts?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyss View Post
@Joe Van Fossen

Thanks Joe for the advice, that doesn't sound as active or good for artistic networking, do you have any ideas on a good town nearby that's a little more thriving in current music/arts?
I think Long Beach has a pretty cool, eclectic community of creatives from all kinds of backgrounds (art, music, film, literature). I know several musicians who've lived or currently live there. I've played in several clubs there and have frequented some coffee shops and restaurants there in the past. There are a lot of family owned cafes and restaurants you could try finding work in. In those environments you're likely to run across a few like-minded people. I always like to recommend using meetup.com for networking too.

Long Beach is a college town, so you do have a lot of younger students in the area. It is also pretty close to where you'll be staying, so it might make going out and finding a job a little bit easier. The metro rail blue line runs through LB, which can be convenient while you're working on getting a car.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
I always thought of Laguna as a colony for middle-aged and older artists. It's definitely no Portlandia. You likely won't find what you're looking for in OC.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,683,351 times
It all boils down to a matter of priorities. If the OP has decided to live in this general area and wants to spend most of his time hanging around bars and playing in bands, then Laguna Beach is not the place for him. He should head for Huntington Beach, Long Beach, or wherever.

If he has decided to live in this general area and seriously wants to develop as an artist, then he should immerse himself in that culture and get involved in Laguna Beach. Who cares about the ages of his potential teachers?? He would not have to socialize with them.

OP, personally, my long conversations and relationships with middle-aged or senior professors during my undergrad and graduate school days, had a far more profound influence upon my professional development than did my many friendships with people my own age.

Last edited by pacific2; 12-07-2012 at 08:47 AM..

Old 12-07-2012, 10:00 AM

The OP probably won't be hanging out in bars, considering she's only 18. The are plenty of all-ages, non-bar, music venues throughout southern California and considering music was in the subject of the post, that kind of thing might be important to her.

I'm not sure if the OP cares about the ages of their potential teachers, but they are looking for "a community where I can be inspired by others with similar interests my own age to keep me going with my own pursuits."

I would also agree to not limit yourself to your own peer group, and there can clearly be a lot learned from seasoned pros. As much as I like AV, I don't think it can be considered to be an artsy area with "an active music scene, as well as having a decent night life." To an extent Laguna Beach has the artsy thing down, but not the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County