Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 10,214 times

Advertisements

I am currently a 24 year old, single guy working in NYC. I was offered a promotion to another facility located in Colton, Ca. Being young, I'm very interested in traveling and living in new areas of the country, especially near any big city since I grew up in Chicago. With that being said, I don't know much of anything in Cali. To be honest, although I would want to live somewhere close to work, I'm not willing to sacrifice living in a "young" area close to the city where I can have a nightlife and be around people my age. The extra drive is worth living in an area that keeps me busy and offers more than sitting around in my apartment. With the little research I've done it seems like the Orange County area is a good choice with Anaheim/Irvine/Huntington as possible locations. I know they are about 40-50 miles away from Colton, and traffic sucks out there, but how is the reverse commute? Any suggestions for places to live between the beach and Colton would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:48 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,361,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime21 View Post
I am currently a 24 year old, single guy working in NYC. I was offered a promotion to another facility located in Colton, Ca. Being young, I'm very interested in traveling and living in new areas of the country, especially near any big city since I grew up in Chicago. With that being said, I don't know much of anything in Cali. To be honest, although I would want to live somewhere close to work, I'm not willing to sacrifice living in a "young" area close to the city where I can have a nightlife and be around people my age. The extra drive is worth living in an area that keeps me busy and offers more than sitting around in my apartment. With the little research I've done it seems like the Orange County area is a good choice with Anaheim/Irvine/Huntington as possible locations. I know they are about 40-50 miles away from Colton, and traffic sucks out there, but how is the reverse commute? Any suggestions for places to live between the beach and Colton would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Mark
HB to Colton is a reverse commute but its still a hell of a long drive. And never underestimate the ability of one traffic stop of a couple of drops of rain to turn a 40 minute drive into an HOUR and 40 minutes. Colton is in the Inland Empire. You're much better off staying out there if that's where your work is. I heard Redlands is one of the best areas out there.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:54 PM

320 posts, read 1,729,917 times
There no way I would live in OC if I worked in Colton. Riverside would be the best area for nightlife considering where you work.You can always take a drive to Hollywood or Staples Centre on the weekends. I can't think of any real nightlife by colton, maybe 50 miles from LA. There is a new arena opening in Ontario that will have a ECHL hockey team next year

Old 10-16-2007, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 10,214 times
Thanks for the help. Yeah the more I look into the Orange County area, the more it seems a little too far. However, everythiing I've heard about the Inland Empire area hasn't been too favorable. I'm sure there are some nice places to live, but any research I have come across has pointed me elsewhere. That's why I'm considering as east as I can get in Orange County towards Colton. Unfortunately I've always been a city kid so it's hard to imagine living anywhere but somewhere I can go out at night and grab dinner and drinks with a young crowd. Looking forward to my move to Cali, just gotta find the right place. Thanks for the suggestions

Old 10-16-2007, 04:34 PM

58 posts, read 407,875 times
Have you thought of Rancho Cucamonga? Victoria Gardens is a great new outdoor shopping center, and there's a lot of fun night spots there.

It's not that far from Colton, in the 'southern California' scheme of things.

We live in Riverside but I would recommend Rancho Cucamonga for a young person. It's a newer city and overall there seems to be more young people there when you're out and about.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Person View Post
Have you thought of Rancho Cucamonga? Victoria Gardens is a great new outdoor shopping center, and there's a lot of fun night spots there.

It's not that far from Colton, in the 'southern California' scheme of things.

We live in Riverside but I would recommend Rancho Cucamonga for a young person. It's a newer city and overall there seems to be more young people there when you're out and about.
I have to agree with Socal Person. RC seems to be a pretty nice place and there is also minor league baseball in RC. You are a short drive from the mountains and the deserts, and not far from vegas either. Use your weekends for day trips to OC and LA.

Save your sanity from any major commuting

Old 10-18-2007, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 56,747 times
I've lived in Colton for about 8 months, and now live in Irvine. If you live in South Orange County (Irvine, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, etc) then you have access to toll roads that will take you up to the inland empire in a fraction of the time. Huntington Beach isn't a very wise choice because it's far from toll roads, and it's not a very nice area.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:05 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,361,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan5000 View Post
I've lived in Colton for about 8 months, and now live in Irvine. If you live in South Orange County (Irvine, Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, etc) then you have access to toll roads that will take you up to the inland empire in a fraction of the time. Huntington Beach isn't a very wise choice because it's far from toll roads, and it's not a very nice area.
How is it not a nice area? Compared to what?

Old 10-21-2007, 08:55 PM

38,705 posts, read 22,703,554 times
Question Huntington Beach not nice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
How is it not a nice area? Compared to what?
That's what I'm curious to know, too. I always thought most of Huntington Beach as a desirable area.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 14,789 times
I lived in HB for 31 years. Aside from the beach, pier, fine dining, great downtown, great schools, beautiful safe neighborhoods, what can be "not such a great area"? Has to be the words of a new South County transplant who thinks only the 949 is nice. Take a drive north of Irvine and find out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County