U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-22-2012, 09:13 AM

16,593 posts, read 17,118,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
After they go through the line, the guy who went first comes back and ask if him and his friends can get $200 for a hotel stay. My friend, a bit well-to-do, immediately brings his wallet out and begins to hand out two crisp $100 dollar bills for these guys.
Street smarts rating: 0. Your friend certainly was out of his element. Has he ventured out of the comfy environs of Piedmont since?

Unread 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM

50 posts, read 19,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
#1, that's a personal attack and against C-D's TOS.

#2, you don't know the ages of the people that are falling for this scam. I know I surely wasn't born knowing it was scam. It wasn't until I was a teen that I learned that lesson. Just because you clearly came out of the womb knowing it was scam (a smart toddler, indeed), most people did not.

#3, Perhaps some people truly believe it's not a scam. That's for them to decide on a case by case basis.

#4 Also, people that have lived in predominantly rural areas might not have experienced this until they move somewhere more populated.

So, please follow C-D's TOS, and do leave the attitude and judgement at home. No need to toss insults.
1) Stop calling justifiable criticism a "personal attack" ..no one was individually & specifically called 'stupid'. That's one of the reasons this country is collapsing; stupid people simply refuse to acknowledge their stupidity!

2) Age is irrelevant because stupid is stupid irregardless of age.

3) It doesn't matter what they think, what matters is that they're being SCAMMED ..precisely because a scammer's business model consists of making you think that he/she is credible.

4) Cry me a river. CLUELESSNESS will not save them from being victimized either.

Citi Data already has ENOUGH CENSORSHIP ...we certainly don't need your sorrowful butt adding to the abuse.

Unread 12-22-2012, 07:36 PM

407 posts, read 220,219 times
This stuff has been alive and well in Orange County for MANY years. Fullerton at Harbor/Orangethorpe shopping center on the southeast side, especially, but in other areas such as Garden Grove, Westminster, even Costa Mesa near the Triangle Square. Stuff like this has happened in even the affluent south county, but it seems that it is occurring more often in south county than before.

Unread 12-22-2012, 07:39 PM

1,546 posts, read 1,220,404 times
Default It Happens In Kentucky Too

You just should avoid these people and not give them the time of day. They are going to use that money for drugs or alcohol. It happens in Kentucky too at certain Post Offices, Walgreen's from what I've experienced. Once at a certain gas station, some black guy (not being racial here) tried to trick me that he wasn't done filling his tank on his huge SUV. This was after I just paid for my gas with my credit card. Long story short, it was a scam and I didn't fall for it. I don't go to that station anymore.

Unread 12-22-2012, 07:41 PM

334 posts, read 262,064 times
I can make these people disappear instantly. When I pull out my wallet, I make sure the first thing they see is my badge.

Unread 12-23-2012, 12:50 AM

653 posts, read 589,649 times
For all you people that don't think it's a scam, next time someone offers to sell you an "extra" pair of speakers they have in their van, buy them and let us know how it works out for you.

Unread 12-23-2012, 02:27 PM

615 posts, read 1,262,786 times
Begging for money with no embarassement while wearing clean clothes and smoking cigarettes is an American phenomenon. After travelling the world I have yet to see anything similar.
In America men in their 40's in good health or young women beg without no shame. All of them frauds. It is definitely cultural.
Just look at Mexicans hanging out in front of Home Depo. They are begging for work not for money and they really look like they need help...

Unread 12-23-2012, 03:29 PM

16,082 posts, read 11,366,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Begging for money with no embarassement while wearing clean clothes and smoking cigarettes is an American phenomenon. After travelling the world I have yet to see anything similar.
In America men in their 40's in good health or young women beg without no shame. All of them frauds. It is definitely cultural.
Just look at Mexicans hanging out in front of Home Depo. They are begging for work not for money and they really look like they need help...
I guess you've never been to Mexico near the border? The beggars are 3 deep.

Unread 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM

16,082 posts, read 11,366,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
How stupid are you people, IT'S A SCAM
It's always been a scam. The latest is a couple with a newer caddy escalade trolling and having the hot girl beg for gas. I've seen them 3 weeks straight and they are "from LA just trying to get home".

Unread 12-23-2012, 04:55 PM

4,229 posts, read 2,254,075 times
People can criticize without using the word stupid. People should be able to tell their stories here without being labeled an idiot. There is no need to be rude on this forum.

I first saw the work for food guys in Texas about 20 years ago at some of the major intersections. I'd never seen them up north at that time. Funny people I knew offered them work and they weren't interested, claiming they could make more standing there. I don't think that should be legal at all. They have migrated north at some point. I have seen them up off the interstate near a busy Omaha-Council Bluffs interstate exit for years now off and on. I don't know why they allow it. I always look at their shoes, and they always got better ones than I got.

Once in awhile ya might run into someone that is legit and needs a hand. I'd hate for people to become so cynical that no one would offer any help at all, in any form. Sure its smart to use common sense but don't harden your heart to a point you don't care about others. It might be you needing a hand someday and desperate for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County