Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 AM

99 posts, read 263,992 times

Advertisements

I know this topic has been covered in the past but I'm currently in the midst of this decision and have some issues that remain unclear.

1. Proximity to nice beaches. Seems like Newport, HB and Laguna are much nicer than Carlsbad, Solana, etc. Is this true? I'm more familiar with OC so I might be biased.

2. Proximity to restaurants/entertainment: OC seems to be much better. Carlsbad, etc. has limited local options but it's 40 miles to downtown San Diego. True?

3. Housing value: No question you can get more in North SD but is it a case of you get what you pay for?

4. Schools: Meaningful to many but I don't have kids. Seems like schools are good in both.

5. Jobs: I work at home so not an issue.

6. Quality of life: Toss-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
Those who are on the OC Forum will generally say that OC beaches and “lifestyles” (there is variety) are superior, while San Diegans will obviously say just the opposite.
Orange County versus San Diego

Given that you work at home, you have the luxury of actually first renting in OC, or in SD for a year, and then trying the other; and subsequently making a decision about where to live based upon your actual experiences.

From my perspective, OC is more competitive and "energized." North SD County is more laid back, far less manicured (compared to South OC) and almost sleepy.

I can't say that one is any better than the other.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 AM

99 posts, read 263,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Those who are on the OC Forum will generally say that OC beaches and “lifestyles” (there is variety) are superior, while San Diegans will obviously say just the opposite.
Orange County versus San Diego

Given that you work at home, you have the luxury of actually first renting in OC, or in SD for a year, and then trying the other; and subsequently making a decision about where to live based upon your actual experiences.

From my perspective, OC is more competitive and "energized." North SD County is more laid back, far less manicured (compared to South OC) and almost sleepy.

I can't say that one is any better than the other.
I have a Latino girlfriend. Seems like North SD isn't necessarily friendly to Latinos. True?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
I have a Latino girlfriend. Seems like North SD isn't necessarily friendly to Latinos. True?
I think things have changed quite a bit in that area and large numbers of Latinos seem to live in North County, especially in Oceanside and Vista, as well as in other cities. Some, not all of them, are current, or former Marines from Pendleton.

My perception is that things are no longer the way they were when Tom Metzger lived in Fallbrook.

I suggest asking the question on the SD Forum, but I doubt she would run into many problems in North SD County.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joryjim View Post
I know this topic has been covered in the past but I'm currently in the midst of this decision and have some issues that remain unclear.

1. Proximity to nice beaches. Seems like Newport, HB and Laguna are much nicer than Carlsbad, Solana, etc. Is this true? I'm more familiar with OC so I might be biased.

2. Proximity to restaurants/entertainment: OC seems to be much better. Carlsbad, etc. has limited local options but it's 40 miles to downtown San Diego. True?

3. Housing value: No question you can get more in North SD but is it a case of you get what you pay for?

4. Schools: Meaningful to many but I don't have kids. Seems like schools are good in both.

5. Jobs: I work at home so not an issue.

6. Quality of life: Toss-up?
I have lived in both. It depends more on you then anything else. Rent and see. OC has some advantages and NSD has different advantages, depends on which are important to you.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
I have lived in both. It depends more on you then anything else. Rent and see. OC has some advantages and NSD has different advantages, depends on which are important to you.
Overall Pacific is spot on and broke it down exceptionally well. OC is generally more manicured with the exception of some areas in North San Diego county. It is also sleepier in North San Diego County.

I think OC beaches are nicer because of their configurations, development patterns nearby, the requirement of paying to park, and distance from the I-5. One exception IMO in OC is Doheny, which is less manicured to be sure as compared to other OC beaches.

Carlsbad is only 34 or so miles from Downtown San Diego but because so much of it is inland, it can easily take 10 minutes or more just to get to the I-5, not to mention traffic (there is no HOV until far further down the I-5 and there are fewer lanes than OC).

If a person or couple is childless or on a tighter budget; however, I think the Oceanside/Vista area is a bargain considering the weather provided you can live in a safer area. Schools obviously wouldn't matter. But there is significant crime in those areas. Other areas in North San Diego County are every bit as nice as OC, and arguably perhaps even nicer in some, especially in Del Mar, Rancho Santa Fe etc.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:20 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
I prefer North San Diego.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:29 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,654,558 times
In short, the economy of OC is larger and more diversified than that of SD, not to mention that OC is better connected to the major job centers of LA, LB, and the IE. Needless to say, salaries are more competitive in OC vs. SD, and OC is better manicured with more modern infrastructure.

OC is more diverse and -- IMO -- more tolerant, although others will vehemently disagree. The influence of the military is a little too strong in Northern SD for my taste, and I think that gives the area a strong conservative edge you don't really find elsewhere in coastal SoCal. Native SoCal people aren't all that conservative, but the military transplants from the Southwest, Midwest, and TX certainly are. YMMV.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
In short, the economy of OC is larger and more diversified than that of SD, not to mention that OC is better connected to the major job centers of LA, LB, and the IE. Needless to say, salaries are more competitive in OC vs. SD, and OC is better manicured with more modern infrastructure.

OC is more diverse and -- IMO -- more tolerant, although others will vehemently disagree. The influence of the military is a little too strong in Northern SD for my taste, and I think that gives the area a strong conservative edge you don't really find elsewhere in coastal SoCal. Native SoCal people aren't all that conservative, but the military transplants from the Southwest, Midwest, and TX certainly are. YMMV.
There is no question OC wins hands down.

That is an interesting issue regarding tolerance and social norms that is manifested in intriguing ways. South OC is very family centric and gives off a decidedly kid-friendly vibe especially inland, thus many things are kept quiet so that people can maintain that clean cut appearance for their kids. Behind closed doors, OC (north and south) appears to be THE home of notorious house parties where parents revert to being kids (or more accurately, adolescents) themselves when kids are gone. It is bizarre but in many ways, understandable and it works. I do not think North San Diego is the same in this regard.

Another thing I have noticed is that there are more (very quiet) gay and lesbian residents in South OC than in North San Diego, and the census numbers back that up.

With respect to racial tolerance, I see a great deal of acceptance here for non-whites. However, there are some known past instances involving animus directed at blacks. So much has been written about OC as it relates to blacks, and I don't want to go there in this thread. The bottom line is that many blacks choose not to live in OC because they don't feel comfortable here, sometimes for irrational reasons. There are more blacks in places like Oceanside and Vista, but those places are not all of North San Diego County and those areas have a lower quality of life and certainly resemble OC the least. Go to Del Mar and you are hard pressed to see any blacks.

Let me first disclaim that I support the military and do not mean to denigrate anyone's service. That said, I too do not care for the military influence in North San Diego county including the extreme bravado, machismo, and exaltation of small-mindedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County