Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 5,332 times

Advertisements

Hello!

my husband myself and our three children are getting ready to move out to Southern California from Vegas next month and have pretty much no idea where we want to live. He is working out of LAX but we dont mind being in orange county. I am trying to find a safe family oriented area with great schools (who isnt?). Any advice would be very much appreciated! We have looked as south as Laguna Hills/woods but dont really want to look any lower than that. Our max rent per month is $2000/3br.

Thank you thank you thank you!!

Brittany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
You (he) will mind living in Laguna Hills/Woods if your husband (he) is working at LAX.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 8,381 times
Are you finding it hard to find affordable housing? I live in Irvine and I don't think you can get a 3 bedroom for $2,000. That budget may limit your choices to places such as Anaheim and Garden Grove.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 5,332 times
no not TOO hard of a time, I have found some places in Huntington Beach, Fountain Valley, and 1 in Irvine. They arent houses but thats ok because most are townhouses. I dont want an apartment because I dont like living below people and dont want anyone below me to hear my kids running around all day! I lived in Buena Park when I was younger and wouldnt return, at least not the part I lived in. Anaheim I thought was good but people are telling me there is a lot of gang activity now? And I am not very fond of Garden Grove at all

Old 01-03-2013, 08:00 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
There are also some places in Fullerton and Yorba Linda in that price range, but they aren't the most inviting drives to LAX.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:00 AM

8 posts, read 11,196 times
Southern California is bit expensive as compared to other parts of California. But I am sure you will get some nice place on your budget.

Before coming down, just do a little research with some local home lenders or brokers. Map your requirements with what they are providing.

You will really enjoy the Southern California.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
The commute from OC to LAX is long and miserable. It leaves you completely drained. From Laguna Hills it can easily take 1.5 - 2 hours each way in traffic. The golden rule about life in Southern California, or at least the LA basin, is, the closer you are to work, the more pleasant your life will be. The further you are from work, the more miserable you will be. Of course if you and your husband dislike each other and he does not want to be around your kids, then Laguna Hills is a great choice. He will never be home and when he is he will be asleep or tired and grumpy.

There are some decent cities closer in. Some parts of Long Beach are quite nice. Good schools can be hard to find there. PArts of long beach would still be an inolerable commute though. Some of the cities that end in beach (Manhattan Beach , Redonodo Beach), are good family places, but I cannot remember which ones. I have a friend who grew up in Hawthorne and claims the part where he lived was good place for families. Rancho Palos Verdes is really nice, but probably way too expensive. Not many rentals there anyway.

It is difficult to find anything affordable and family oriented that is reasonably close to LAX. I do not know that area very well. What I do know is there is pretty much nowhere in Orange County that I would consider as a reasonable regular commute to LAX.

If you do remain set on living in Orange County Huntington Beach and seal Beach (much nicer) are probably your best bet.

Good luck.

Probably you will have to sacrifice size and go with a small place in a decent city closer to LAX unless you find something in Long Beach.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM

880 posts, read 1,415,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxd4b View Post
Hello!

my husband myself and our three children are getting ready to move out to Southern California from Vegas next month and have pretty much no idea where we want to live. He is working out of LAX but we dont mind being in orange county. I am trying to find a safe family oriented area with great schools (who isnt?). Any advice would be very much appreciated! We have looked as south as Laguna Hills/woods but dont really want to look any lower than that. Our max rent per month is $2000/3br.

Brittany
As much as I hate to say it, you might want to look at the San Fernando valley, close to the freeway to LAX

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM

5 posts, read 8,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The commute from OC to LAX is long and miserable. It leaves you completely drained. From Laguna Hills it can easily take 1.5 - 2 hours each way in traffic. The golden rule about life in Southern California, or at least the LA basin, is, the closer you are to work, the more pleasant your life will be. The further you are from work, the more miserable you will be.
I second this notion. I live in Irvine and commute to Laguna Hills. It takes about 10 minutes normally, 20 in bad traffic. But when I have to go to Los Angeles for a meeting, you are committing at least a half of a day to get there, meet for an hour, and get back to Orange County. The drive is stressful, and there are no scenic vistas or anything to distract you. Just an endless sea of cars as far as you can see in front or behind. Plus the cost of commuting... Ouch! A round trip to LA from Irvine puts a very noticeable dent in my fuel gauge, even when I drive my subcompact car. But a lot of people do it... I know a guy who lives in Escondido and dives to north Irvine every day. He's a nice guy and seems happy too. I guess the pain of the commute is all relative. (It is a "first world problem," to so speak. There are a lot of people in this world that would switch places in an INSTANT.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:11 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxd4b View Post
Hello!

Brittany
Hi, Brittany:

I would nix Orange County off my list if your husband is working out of the LAX area.

Look into El Segundo or Torrance. El Segundo is right there and, from what I've heard, fairly desirable for its being right near the airport. Torrance is a decent-sized city (over 100,000) and you will have a variety of options there. Other South Bay cities (Lomita, Redondo Beach, some of Gardena and Hawthorne) as well as the Harbor City and San Pedro sections of Los Angeles may be for you as well.

Last edited by mrsltd; 01-05-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: incorrect number
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County