Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,752,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Won't be as bad as 2008. I suspect the Gov't has lost its taste for massive bailouts and welfare programs for speculators. Also I suspect the people who will get hosed the most are those in OC, LA, SFBA, and other areas where the bubble only slightly deflated. Those in Phoenix and Vegas, where the market has bottomed to near construction cost will probably be able to escape without too much damage.
The San Francisco Bay area does not fit in the same category. There has been a housing shortage in that area for years because of lack of new homes. It is a matter of supply not meeting demand. What keeps pushing up their housing cost is the boom in high paying Tech jobs. There was a drop in prices when the dot.com crashed in 2001 but prices recovered very quickly.

The housing crisis of 2008 was caused by the subprime mortgage problem. This was a result of people buying homes that they were not qualified for. The fault lay with the government forcing the lenders to relax their standards so they could push the concept that everybody should be able to buy a home. The borrowers themselves were also to blame for knowlingly buying homes that they couldn't pay for. Lastly the lenders share some of the blame as well. Another factor causing the crash was people using their home like an ATM to buy toys. They kept refinancing, taking money out as prices soared.

This scenario will more than likely not be repeated as hopefully we have learned our lesson. Our area was one of the hardest hit in the country with prices falling 60-70% from the peak in 2005-06. Of course we also saw the highest increase in prices from 2002-05. One year, prices went up 52%. Home prices here have definitely gone up in the last year but I seriously doubt that they will reach the levels of 2005 in the foreseeable future.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 01-18-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM

2,518 posts, read 3,996,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The San Francisco Bay area does not fit in the same category. There has been a housing shortage in that area for years because of lack of new homes. It is a matter of supply not meeting demand. What keeps pushing up their housing cost is the boom in high paying Tech jobs. There was a drop in prices when the dot.com crashed in 2001 but prices recovered very quickly.
Well true, there is a huge anti-development sentiment here. But that being said, employers have their bottom lines as well. They have to attract workers to the area, and if they have to pay every QA analyst $120,000 in salary just to make life affordable for them, they'll take their jobs elsewhere, and in fact, many CA companies have done just that.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,752,919 times
Quote:
Well true, there is a huge anti-development sentiment here. But that being said, employers have their bottom lines as well. They have to attract workers to the area, and if they have to pay every QA analyst $120,000 in salary just to make life affordable for them, they'll take their jobs elsewhere, and in fact, many CA companies have done just that.
I was an Independent Software Design consultant in Silicon Valley for many years even though our permanent home was in San Diego. We also owned a home in the Bay area as well as San Diego. The difference in pay more than offset the higher COL in the Bay area plus I preferred the work environment in SV.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I was an Independent Software Design consultant in Silicon Valley for many years even though our permanent home was in San Diego. We also owned a home in the Bay area as well as San Diego. The difference in pay more than offset the higher COL in the Bay area plus I preferred the work environment in SV.
In 2011, 254 companies moved 50,000+ jobs out of the state:
2011 total: 254 companies leave California | moved, companie - Business - The Orange County Register

That was a 26% increase over 2010.

Companies first and foremost are concerned about making money, and part of that equation is the cost of hiring and attracting talented individuals. Because of the COL, it's simply difficult much more expensive to do that in the Bay Area. The SFBA is in the middle of a web 2.0 boom right now, but I'm old enough to have lived through the first web bubble, and know that it could easily happen here again.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM

I'm guessing CAVA gave up on his theory since he never came back to try and at least back it up with some data or evidence.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,130,987 times
Quote:
Well, if your theory is that higher income buyers are buying homes, where are they coming from? Orange County is already a high income area compared to the national median. Where would these even higher income buyers come from?
Well the median household income of my county in VA is about 40% higher than Orange County's so we'd be one possible source of folks like that. I'm sure there are plenty of folks coming from other more affluent places.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,639,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well the median household income of my county in VA is about 40% higher than Orange County's so we'd be one possible source of folks like that. I'm sure there are plenty of folks coming from other more affluent places.
Orange County's median household income of $75,762 is not terribly high, so current OC buyers may be those who earn well above the median.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:37 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,130,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Orange County's median household income of $75,762 is not terribly high, so current OC buyers may be those who earn well above the median.
Yes, exactly what I was arguing. In comparison, my county's median household income is $108,000. The county next door's is $120,000.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,639,047 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly what I was arguing. In comparison, my county's median household income is $108,000. The county next door's is $120,000.
People often forget that there are a lot of poor folks in Orange County.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Do you have data to back up that claim that they are coming from VA, or other affluent counties?

Most data shows that California's population is actually flat or retracting in many counties because of unaffordable housing and lack of jobs:
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov...-move-20111127
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County