U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,924 times
Default IB schools in Orange County

My family will be moving to Orange County in the summer. My husband's office is in Irvine, but we have not decided where we will live. Currently we live in Mexico City, Mexico on an expat assignment and our children attend an IB school. We have 3 children - Kindergarten, 2nd grade and 4th grade. From my research there are not a lot of IB schools in Orange County, at least the PYP or elementary years. I am not wedded to the IB system, but we have had a very good experience with it and would like the option of continuing with it in California. Any advice is much appreciated??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:39 AM

221 posts, read 173,265 times
Pardon my ignorance... what is IB?

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:42 AM

4,404 posts, read 3,898,965 times
Is it for the Diploma years or Pre-Diploma?

As a recipient of the IB over a decade ago, I definitely recommend this route.

You'll find more info here: California Association of IB World Schools Website

Unread 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM

15,823 posts, read 26,639,058 times
Quite a few foreign dignitaries and business people have their kids at El Durado school for gifted children in Orange. Our kids went there and they were in the minority being from the United States. It is a great school and our kids loved it there, but it is expensive. I think it was $12,000 per year plus fees (fees were maybe $600 or $700 more). Classes are very small and the kids get a lot of individualized attention.

Unread 03-20-2013, 09:13 AM

721 posts, read 419,672 times
If working in Irvine, your best bet would probably be in the Mission Viejo (MV, Ladera Ranch, Las Flores) area. They have K-8 and a lot of surrounding high schools for when your kids get to that point.

Unread 03-20-2013, 09:14 AM

26,365 posts, read 49,372,010 times
Do a search on IB programs in the Orange County Forum, especially by a poster named Missionhome (haven't seen her around in a while).

Unread 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,766,465 times
St. Mary's in Aliso Viejo is an IB school and they accept kids from pre-K through the 8th grade:
St. Mary's School | Private IB World School in Orange County, California

Apparently, there’s a very active exchange program between St. Mary’s and the (K-12) International School of Milan (ISM) in Milan and Monza, Italy.

Last edited by pacific2; 03-20-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Unread 03-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Is it for the Diploma years or Pre-Diploma?

As a recipient of the IB over a decade ago, I definitely recommend this route.

You'll find more info here: California Association of IB World Schools Website
It is for the Primary Years Program right now, but my oldest will be moving into the Middle Years Program and the Diploma Program while we are in California.

Unread 03-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalinnorcal View Post
Pardon my ignorance... what is IB?
Sorry, not ignorant at all. IB is the International Baccalaureate Program. International education - The International Baccalaureate offers high quality programmes of education to a worldwide community of schools

Unread 10-01-2013, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
Hi- Did you find a school? My family will be moving there in early 2014. We are currently in an IB school as well and love it. I've started my search and you are right there aren't a lot of IB schools in that area. Just wondering what you decided on and how you like it so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County