Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 88,978 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide an estimate for labor on a small bathroom remodel? We need old items removed (floor tiles, shower tiles, wall tiles bathtub, sink, vanity etc...) and new fixtures added.

We are not moving walls or moving location of the items. I would like the tiles to go up to the ceiling. That's about it.

I will be supplying the materials. Is 5k too low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,925,015 times
About $5000 I would guess.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange92865 View Post
Can anyone provide an estimate for labor on a small bathroom remodel? We need old items removed (floor tiles, shower tiles, wall tiles bathtub, sink, vanity etc...) and new fixtures added.

We are not moving walls or moving location of the items. I would like the tiles to go up to the ceiling. That's about it.

I will be supplying the materials. Is 5k too low?
The best way to get your question answered is to request some licensed contractors provide you estimates. This is free and precise.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,229 times
I imagine it could be a bit cheaper than $5k if you are supplying ALL of the materials and you are just trying to gauge the cost of the labor. Of course, you could spend that same amount of money on materials as well if you went with high-end stuff.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM

823 posts, read 1,783,415 times
I hope labor to remove and labor to install would be LESS than $5000!

Someone I know got a whole kitchen gutted--new electrical, removed a wall, new cabinets, new sink, new floor, counter, etc. for $11k and that's labor and material. Oh, and that included a new small bathroom!

I know, that's ridiculously cheap and I'm sure unpermitted, but the results were amazingly beautiful. So it depends on whether you want a licensed contractor or a not...

Old 04-09-2013, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 88,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I imagine it could be a bit cheaper than $5k if you are supplying ALL of the materials and you are just trying to gauge the cost of the labor. Of course, you could spend that same amount of money on materials as well if you went with high-end stuff.
Yes, just the labor. I had a licensed contractor that came to look at my bathroom just today and quoted $11k. He said it would take 3 weeks. I'm in shock because my bathroom is only 5x8. He said the hard part would be retiling the walls and everything else is quick and easy, so I'm not sure where the 11k is coming from. He did mention that he would supply the building materials.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:48 PM

823 posts, read 1,783,415 times
Retiling does take a lot of time, especially if you want it tiled up to the ceiling. Sounds like he's given you a quote for the entire job and not just the labor. Get some more quotes and get one from a good handyman off yelp. I love yelp reviews!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Retiling does take a lot of time, especially if you want it tiled up to the ceiling. Sounds like he's given you a quote for the entire job and not just the labor. Get some more quotes and get one from a good handyman off yelp. I love yelp reviews!
Yeah, definitely get some more quotes. I know the market is picking up and more people are starting to fix their homes up to list. I'm sure this increased demand is pushing up the price for contractors, but still. Three weeks and $11k sounds high to me.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 44,967 times
I'm interested to find out more about your experience with the bathroom remodel because I am planning to hire a remodeler to do the same: change shower pan, change vanity and maybe change the toilet. I called a few places and told them I wanted to pay no more than $5000 and they all seemed to imply that it would be more than that.

If you don't mind, could you also provide the names of the contractor that you finally end up working with?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
I hope labor to remove and labor to install would be LESS than $5000!

Someone I know got a whole kitchen gutted--new electrical, removed a wall, new cabinets, new sink, new floor, counter, etc. for $11k and that's labor and material. Oh, and that included a new small bathroom!

I know, that's ridiculously cheap and I'm sure unpermitted, but the results were amazingly beautiful. So it depends on whether you want a licensed contractor or a not...

Lol I used to love the people who hired a unlicensed contractor because they were cheaper but they did the same job right? There is a reason cheap ain't good and good ain't cheap. . They usually called back asking to come over and finish the job the unlicensed guy walked out on. Btw if they are unlicensed they are NOT contractors. They cant even legally write a contract up and if they did it would be unenforceable by them. It's just a guy with tools and hopefully doesnt f up your place too bad and doesn't do too much damage. I've seen what unlicensed guys do. There is a reason they are unlicensed. At least with a contractor you can go after their Insurance and bond if they try jacking you. 5-7 k sounds about normal for a complete basic remodel where it's all R&R. You don't like the price? Go DIY and see what it takes before you complain about the price. It's not all labor. It's taxes, insurance, licenses, office overhead. It's not like the guy pockets all the money as profit although that's what people think. When I was a contractor if the customer bought their own materials I simply refused to do the job. If the materials were substandard and they had issues they expected me to fix for free. Sorry not gonna play that game. I do it all warranty it all and if there is a issue I fix it all. Don't like it? feel free to hire the next guy.

Get three quotes at least
Make sure the contractors are licensed, use licensed subs, have license bond and insurance
CHECK on the lic bond ins. They should submit those things with the bids. You should easily be able to call and check. EVERY contractor has a wallet card they should be able to provide at any time. If they give you static don't accept their bid.
You are ONLY required to give $1000 or 10% whichever is less for the work to get started. The rest of the job should be made in progress payments ( basically when x amount of ork gets compketed i pay x amount if the remaining balance)with about 10-15% at the end to be paid upon completion of the job.
Get the job inspected and permitted and if they ask you to go get a owner/builder permit I can guarantee you they are shady

If you are the homeowner remember if someone gets hurt in your house YOU can be held liable for their injuries. Don't think that will happen? He about when the unlicensed cheap guy takes out some structural piece and cracks your house like a egg. Good luck getting blood from a stone.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 07-14-2013 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House