U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:48 PM

63 posts, read 102,908 times

Advertisements

I have read this board from the time my husband and I began thinking about moving to orange county and I have seen quite a few opinions that I don't agree with and some that I do. Here is my delimma... My husband and I are both african americans who are affluent and I don't see any posts from any other african americans about living in orange county and especially Irvine. I would like to know how affluent african americans feel about living in orange county or Irvine for that matter because we are interested in moving there in the near future (2-4 months) and we've done our research of the area extensively but I have yet to see any feedback.

I've noticed that there is a heavy asian presence in Irvine which is by no means a problem but I want to hear opinions from others that are like my husband and I. I would like to know how they feel about that area, are there any issues they've experienced, have they received the attitudes or stares that most people talk about receiving from the snobby people in orange county.

I welcome everyone to comment as well because this board is for everyone to share their thoughts. Thanks everyone.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 PM

111 posts, read 18,240 times
You are correct that Irvine has few African Americans. The population is around 70% Asian and Middle Eastern. However I do not see racism here that I saw in other places I've lived (most notably Scottsdale, Arizona). However, I have noticed that many Asians here tend to only associate with other Asians and avoid other races, so I think that would be the extent of any "racism" in Irvine (I experienced the same exact thing while living in Hawaii for a short time).

Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM

11,726 posts, read 24,729,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
You are correct that Irvine has few African Americans. The population is around 70% Asian and Middle Eastern. However I do not see racism here that I saw in other places I've lived (most notably Scottsdale, Arizona). However, I have noticed that many Asians here tend to only associate with other Asians and avoid other races, so I think that would be the extent of any "racism" in Irvine (I experienced the same exact thing while living in Hawaii for a short time).
And Asians tend to REALLY not like black people. They won't exactly be burning crosses on your lawn, but don't expect any dinner invitations.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,662,154 times
My friends of over 8 years live in Irvine...they recently married and are in their young 20s. Of course they are both A-A. They live in Foothill Ranch or near it now I believe. They both went to college in Irvine and graduated with degrees. The only negative thing I hear is the COL is a bit higher than other places and the music scene is non-existant. He is a producer while he isn't working his tech job.

As far as any real problems I've never heard of any...besides the occasional looks of those afraid of A-A. But that's their problem right?

That's the best I can do. GL

Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 PM

27,548 posts, read 22,892,450 times
From what I have heard, OC is and (has been) becoming more diverse. The thing is few African-Americans move to Orange County. Alot of Asians and Hispanics have settled in Orange County, but few African-Americans have.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 PM

188 posts, read 661,765 times
Research the OC Register for the article last year about the AA's who moved into Irvine and got their car vandalised with hate words. The Orange County Register I believe it addresses some of your concerns (good and bad).. Good luck,

Old 10-31-2007, 01:35 AM

198 posts, read 641,465 times
City of Irvine Website - Demographics Information

Old 10-31-2007, 10:18 AM

Default I agree

I think you are right pirate_lafitte that there are very few AA in Irvine or the greater part of Orange County and it's because of a huge misconception that it's too costly. My husband and I moved from Chicago and all of his family there assume that because things are double here that spells un-affordable but what they don't realize is that the jobs pay more and with two incomes it's no different than living in Chicago. Also in Chicago the cities are very segregated so neighborhoods that are mostly AA will stay that way and if you drive down a block or two you will see the nationality change. Not sure why it continues to stay that way but it is and I think those who move from states such as Illinois feel as though that is how it should be in California.

My husband and I are looking at the bigger picture of which neighborhood will provide the best education, which neighborhood will be most beneficial to our businesses, and which neighborhood is the safest and Irvine is on the top of my list.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:16 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,481,089 times
Orange County is filled with closet racism. You won't get confronted by people etc but they will think/say things behind your back. The minute you purchase a house they will worry about their property values going down.

California is segregated too, just in a different way. The Mexican, White, Vietnamese areas are well defined. There is really only mixing of whites and Asians (Usually of Chinese origin) in Irvine.
I do not think the cost issue has anything to do with Irvine's lack of blacks, its racism. Blacks just aren't all that welcome in this sorts of communities.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:21 PM

That's unfortunate because there are some that people should be concerned with but there are those like my husband and I who work just as hard and want to have nice things as well. I think there has been so many stereotypes placed on our race as a whole that just isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County