Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 03:32 AM

198 posts, read 930,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCheng91 View Post
Many asians may work at pedicure shops, but there is also a high majority of asian doctors and engineers. So stop stereotyping.
You basically just swapped one stereotype for another... hmmm. >_<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
YLresident--may I ask--are you Asian?
Your post sounded like you were. Just wondering.

I think Sunny Hills High School in Fullerton is at least 80% Asian, and since being back in So Cal after a year, I do notice that Asians are very easily spotted, of course, vs. in Sonoma and Marin County up North.
Especially in Irvine as well, I tell ya, some of them do the best manicure and pedicures!

btw-has anyone ever eaten those spring rolls in rice paper at a Vietnamese restaurant? I think that's what they are in...
And yes, I am Asian, in part--half White (not sure of the exact lineage) and half Vietnamese--my mother is Vietnamese.

The spring rolls you mentioned are generally called "Goi Cuon": ma'ona: Goi Cuon: Pork and Shrimp Spring Rolls

There are also similar rolls made with Vietnamese pork sausage, "Nem Cuon" (includes a review of Brodard--YUM!!!!! ^_^): Monster Munching: Brodard - Garden Grove

For "Banh Mi" way better than Lee's Sandwiches: Monster Munching: Banh Mi Che Cali - Westminster

And Sunny Hills High is just over 50% Asian: 2005-06 Template - School Accountability Report Card (CA Dept of Education)

Old 11-04-2007, 05:40 PM

605 posts, read 865,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YLresident View Post
And yes, I am Asian, in part--half White (not sure of the exact lineage) and half Vietnamese--my mother is Vietnamese.

The spring rolls you mentioned are generally called "Goi Cuon": ma'ona: Goi Cuon: Pork and Shrimp Spring Rolls

There are also similar rolls made with Vietnamese pork sausage, "Nem Cuon" (includes a review of Brodard--YUM!!!!! ^_^): Monster Munching: Brodard - Garden Grove

For "Banh Mi" way better than Lee's Sandwiches: Monster Munching: Banh Mi Che Cali - Westminster

And Sunny Hills High is just over 50% Asian: 2005-06 Template - School Accountability Report Card (CA Dept of Education)
You crack me up! Thanks for all the 411--you didn't have to look up all that.
I like Lee's sandwiches awesome, and yeah--Chang you did just swap one stereo type with another, why is it necessary to discuss/bash/"critique" races anyway, I'm not partaking in it anymore.
And yes I did go to EDHS. It's a damn good school.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
You crack me up! Thanks for all the 411--you didn't have to look up all that.
I like Lee's sandwiches awesome, and yeah--Chang you did just swap one stereo type with another, why is it necessary to discuss/bash/"critique" races anyway, I'm not partaking in it anymore.
And yes I did go to EDHS. It's a damn good school.
I was bored... and I LOVE food! ^_^

Proud to be a past Golden Hawk, too--I received an excellent education there.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:08 AM

37 posts, read 169,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YLresident View Post
Well, the drivers in Little Saigon here pale in comparison to what you see in actual Saigon, Vietnam. Once you've seen where many first generation Vietnamese immigrants learned to drive, you'll have a better understanding of why many drive the way they do here... driving is utter chaos in Vietnam. Interesting to see, but crazy to ride around in (being foreign-born, I didn't have the guts to pilot a moped myself--nor would my family there have let me if I'd have wanted to). Keep in mind, those same first generation immigrants are probably the ones who taught their own kids to drive, too, so the cycle of semi-chaotic drivers continues--although, I think it gets better with each passing generation.

I can't really say my mother's a fabulous driver even though she's been here over 30 years... but she's 4'8", so reaching the pedal and navigating the steering wheel isn't as easy for her as it is for me. My mom's friends had done a fair number of comical things while driving, though. I'm not bad, but then, my mom didn't spend too much time teaching me to drive, my dad did, though she did teach me to park. Uh-oh. ^_~
I can very much relate. I've been to Vietnam twice and just crossing the street gets your adrenalin going. My parents-in-law live in Little Saigon and traffic is definitely different than other parts of OC. Insurance companies can not discriminate based on race, but they can based on zip code.

I live in San Diego, but pay the insurance for my mother-in-law's car. It costs $400/year more to have it insured in Westminster than in Rancho Bernardo. Since my mother-in-law drives like the typical 1st generation Vietnamese I have taken out an additional $1,000,000 umbrella liability insurance.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:11 AM

37 posts, read 169,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah spring rolls are Vietnamese. There's usually some thin noodles (rice or mung bean?), shrimp, pork, and bean sprouts rolled in rice paper.
Vietnamese food rocks! You guys are getting me hungry just talking about it.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Do you not realize that all generalizations, good or bad are prejudice and bigoted? To say that all black people are fun to be around, say their truths or whatever, is just as bad as saying that all Asians are bad drivers. Neither one is true. Both are statements that all members of a given race can be grouped into a stereotype. They cannot.

Some generalizations have a source. For example Asians being bad drivers probably comes from older immigrants bringing their home country habits here. But that does not justify a generalization about all Asians. You could say "some Asians are bad drivers" or "I have seen a lot of bad drivers who are Asian" but that is not as dramatic as trying to stereotype. However whenever we stereotype, we end up making ourselves look ignorant and foolish because, of course all members of any race are not the same in any characteristic.
You might get away with All Asians have naturally black hair, but even that is probably incorrect. Stereotypes and generalizations just do not work.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
by the way, some white people are excellent dancers (not me, but my wife who was a dance major can gyrate as gracefully as the best dancers of other races).

Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
by the way, some white people are excellent dancers (not me, but my wife who was a dance major can gyrate as gracefully as the best dancers of other races).
LOL... I think the bad dancer stereotype tends to refer more to white men, then white women, but I'm sure there's great dancers all over the color spectrum--we just only remember the bad ones we've seen at bars and clubs. I've seen terrible dancers of various colors/backgrounds, and great dancers, too. HAHA.

My mom's a terrible dancer--she's Asian, my half black/white friend was, too (don't say it--I know you're thinking it)... most white boys aren't encouraged to dance anymore. The majority of young men you see on TV dancing are incredibly talented black men. I guess pop culture's not ready to see men of other colors dance again.

How did we end up straying so far off topic?

Here--I'll bridge the gap... I've seen some great Asian dancers--hip-hop and traditional cultural dance, too. ^_^

Old 01-26-2008, 06:03 PM

566 posts, read 1,938,923 times
Which is worse? A 20 year old going 90 miles and hour, a 90 year old going 20 miles an hour or an Asian driver at any speed? Yea I know I've broken all the rules. Made fun of old people (like me), young people and Asians. But if you've driven OC much you know it's true. Save the bs about bigoted, etc. It's just a joke. 30 years ago in more sensible times people could joke about these things. Today the PC crowd is just waiting to spring upon those who violate the code. Save your breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County