U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM

6 posts, read 23,105 times

Advertisements

I planning to do a day trip to California from AZ. I want to do a decent classy so-cal beach picture, somewhere sitting in a lifeguard house or a in a pier or on the of the hills with nice ocean views and a sunset.

Anyone from southern California know of nice places for solo pictures?

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:27 AM

26,519 posts, read 62,912,197 times
Laguna Main beach. Some areas in Dana Point. The tide pool beach just north of Laguna at low tide on a day with decent surf.

Best time is first thing in the morning, just before full sunrise. Some days it remains hazy all morning so you get nice even light. By afternoon the sun is bright and harsh so it is difficult to get good pictures.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:39 AM

2,171 posts, read 2,370,179 times
1/2 hour to an hour after sunset at Laguna Beach

Old 05-19-2013, 07:58 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,968,211 times
Here are easy to get to places that I've seen professional photographers shooting photos of couples and families:

Treasure Island Beach, right below the Montage:

92688 - Google Maps

Far South end of Aliso Creek beach:

92688 - Google Maps

Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Here are easy to get to places that I've seen professional photographers shooting photos of couples and families:

Treasure Island Beach, right below the Montage:

92688 - Google Maps

Far South end of Aliso Creek beach:

92688 - Google Maps

Is Aliso Pier gone? I lived in Laguna Royale a long time ago. Unless my memory is going crazy there was a pier with a doughnut shaped outer end at Aliso creek park. I cannot find ti in the picture.

I remember learning of a pier being destroyed in a winter storm, but I think it was a different pier (pretty sure Newport pier got pretty smashed up once, and some other ones too, but I do not remember Aliso getting completely wiped out.).

Old 05-21-2013, 04:32 AM

14,131 posts, read 27,077,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Is Aliso Pier gone? I lived in Laguna Royale a long time ago. Unless my memory is going crazy there was a pier with a doughnut shaped outer end at Aliso creek park. I cannot find ti in the picture.

I remember learning of a pier being destroyed in a winter storm, but I think it was a different pier (pretty sure Newport pier got pretty smashed up once, and some other ones too, but I do not remember Aliso getting completely wiped out.).
It's apparently been awhile.

Aliso Pier no more - Coastline Pilot

That was one of my least favorite beaches in the area. It has really pebbly sand not particularly pleasant to walk or sit on and a steep shore break which makes for bad body surfing. The concrete pier was really ugly.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 AM

I liked it well when I could walk to it. I met a lot of nice girls there. They liked it because it was tourist free and most of the guys were gay and did not hit on them or ogle them. (I always tended to prefer girls who were not looking to be hit on/ogled). I have not been back there since I moved. No reason to go to that beach. Nicer beaches were closer and no more need to meet girls.

It is not a nice beach for photographs but a bit south of there is not bad. Some neat rock formations you can use at low tide. Rarely any people to get in your way.

The sunset makes a nice picture by itself, but not an ideal situation for pictures of people. If people are going to be the focus of your picture you need dawn light for good pictures.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:26 PM

6,380 posts, read 10,690,772 times
Here are 2 awesome locations that are open to public:

1- Cliff Drive, right by Las Brisas restaurant. I am not sure if the gazebo by the cliff (next to the restaurant) is still there or not but there is a path that you could take down to Main Beach and of course, it is an awesome spot to take pictures:

2- Top of the World (South Laguna Beach), I used to live there that is how I know this little hidden spot (ladies melt when they see the view at night), you can get there following the green line. Del Mar deadends where you can also park your car and take pictures:

Using Google maps, take a look at the street view of the red dots and you will know what I am talking about!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:00 PM

546 posts, read 564,883 times
Main Beach in Laguna, of course, and Calafia in San Clemente.
There are some beautiful pix of SC sunsets on the city's site under "Snapshots," I think.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 AM

16 posts, read 24,111 times
If you are in Laguna Beach, check out Divers Cove (it is North of Las Brisas off of Cliff drive) There are some great places down there to get beach shots. We have taken family pics there for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or