Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,081 times

Advertisements

I moved to Orange County from the Northeast Bay area last summer. One thing I noticed was the lack of sunny mornings here. I was always under the impression that SoCal had an abundance of sunshine year-round. I'm kinda disappointed with the nonstop, balmy overcast that burns off into this filtered haze by the afternoon. I only recall a few days back in February where the sky was crystal blue much like the Napa area where I'm from. Every day I wish that mother nature would blow all the gunk out to sea but it rarely happens..
Im really curious as to why that is?

Last edited by wander-wee; 05-25-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 10:05 AM

567 posts, read 787,051 times
It's called the marine layer:
Marine layer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's cool to see the leading edge of it with sun above your head, like if you're heading in from Lake Elsinore.
The farther you are inland, the less of a problem it is, particularly if there are mountains between you and the ocean.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,081 times
After my lease is up in September I may move further inland. It makes me depressed.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
Think of it as Mother Nature's way of grounding us; keeping us in touch with what is real. I love walking my dogs in the cool misty mornings.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:48 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,926,478 times
Currently enjoying leaden skies and 61° in the Cucamonga Valley.

Inland isn't immune from May gray and June gloom. We see it as blessed relief from what we'll be sweltering under July thru early November.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:57 PM

246 posts, read 421,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Think of it as Mother Nature's way of grounding us; keeping us in touch with what is real. I love walking my dogs in the cool misty mornings.
I love it as well. As far as I'm concerned, its nearly perfect weather. Nice fog and low clouds keeps the oppressive sun at bay, nice gently filtered sunny afternoons, then the clouds roll in like a blanket keeping you snug and safe all night.

Best weather in the world, wish most of the year could be like May and June!

Old 05-25-2013, 03:46 PM

484 posts, read 821,890 times
I am also a fan of the morning overcast skies. It helps ease the transition into the day, instead of being assaulted first thing by full sunlight.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander-wee View Post
I moved to Orange County from the Northeast Bay area last summer. One thing I noticed was the lack of sunny mornings here. I was always under the impression that SoCal had an abundance of sunshine year-round. I'm kinda disappointed with the nonstop, balmy overcast that burns off into this filtered haze by the afternoon. I only recall a few days back in February where the sky was crystal blue much like the Napa area where I'm from. Every day I wish that mother nature would blow all the gunk out to sea but it rarely happens..
Im really curious as to why that is?
Anybody from the Bay Area would have to be familiar with this phenomenon. Have you never looked out across San Francisco from the East Bay and seen the giant fog bank that often hangs off the coast? My guess is you've never before lived that close to the ocean. Napa would be more similar to Eastern Orange County. Sounds like you'll be a huge fan of the Santana winds.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 AM

815 posts, read 2,698,026 times
Yes but if the OP was located in the Napa Valley which is 40-60 miles from the coast, it most certainly would be sunnier due to the minimal marine influence. You're generalizing the entire bay area climate as foggy and cool which is absolutely not the case. When I lived in Sacramento I took many day trips to Napa and Saint Helena and never encountered our type of 'June Gloom' there. In fact, the climate there is virtually identical to Sacramento: hot, sunny, and dry.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 PM

9,845 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wander-wee View Post
After my lease is up in September I may move further inland. It makes me depressed.
I also got depressed with those skies, which is why we lived in south inland Orange County, skies are much bluer, more sun, warmer, just how I like it. One year I worked in Costa Mesa, thinking I could take a nice sunny lunch time walk, unfortunately, it was still gloomy every day at noon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County