U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:35 PM

621 posts, read 28,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
But, some people come out here and realize the can't handle LA life, and those are the ones that have no goals in life, just to move to LA and they think everything will be really easy. You don't think like that, you realize it's gonna be hard and are willing to try overcome the hardships you will face when moving out here. As long as you prepare for the worst, you will be fine. JUST REMEMBER-DON'T LISTEN TO THESE NEGATIVE PEOPLE.
Expect the worst ~~ hope for the best.
Some people cannot handle life in LA, I agree. It can be harsh.

All the best to you on your new adventure Stars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:56 PM

158 posts, read 412,558 times
Thank you so much WannaBNorCal. I appreciate your well wishings very much so.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Well guys, I'm starting to wonder. It isn't necessary negative people who're making me wonder, it's my limits and what I can do. If I could go out there and grab 50k a year, sure, I'd have no worries, but the chances of that happening are very low. I cannot afford to move my family to a place that wants to pay me 8 or 9 dollars an hour because I can't meet every criteria, but I've seen a lot of jobs that I do meet, but they never post their salary levels.

I don't know, I guess I'm just apprehensive. It's a big move for us, I want to do it, she wants to do it, but I just don't want to get out there, blow what we have saved up to get moved in and settled, and then not be able to pay for my rent. Having a child at my age makes everyone look at me like I'm in a horrible position, and I guess I see their point.

A 22 year old working by himself to support his small family in SoCal. Doesn't sound too likely, does it?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:41 AM

26,362 posts, read 52,971,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post
A 22 year old working by himself to support his small family in SoCal. Doesn't sound too likely, does it?
I haven't read every post on this thread. Both LA and SF are expensive. Have you considered somewhere else that is more affordable?

Not that many people with kids can move to move to SoCal or the bay area and buy a house in a neighborhood with good schools. Unless you are willing to compromise (not buy a house OR not have good schools OR have a horrible commute OR do work you hate OR live in a bad neighborhood) it will be tough. It seems most people who want to move to LA have no kids and/or are young and/or don't care about renting and/or don't care about school districts. Those who continue to want to live here either are "in" already with real estate OR are in a specialized industry (movies, SoCal), OR have unique living arrangements (alternative lifestyles?). There's probably someone I missed but in general that's about it.

I liked it when I was single and 22, chicks everywhere; I was a kid in a candy store. Now I am married and 46, kind of like a diabetic kid in a candy store.

Old 11-22-2007, 11:37 AM

29 posts, read 85,093 times
StarLieswest-I honestly don't recommend to move to LA/OC or SF. I know it sounds exciting and fun but it will kill you. I make a really good income, not six figures or anything but I can see it from where I am. Expect rent to be between $1600-$2400 for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in an ok neighborhood. Daycare is going to cost you between 600-800 per child if you go that route. Figure in groceries, utilities, and car payment(which you may not have now but might in the future) and you might already have a negative balance. I have no idea what kind of income you and/or your spouse are expecting to make out here but if you want to enjoy California and the California lifestyle I hope together you pull in over 100K. If it is just you I recommend 75K. And please remember once kid you can afford to put in day care but if you have a second child, you are talking 1200-1600 a month for daycare or you loose your second income.

If you didn't have kids and didn't plan on having kids till MUCH later in your life, I would recommend California to you, but if you can be content with apartment life with your wife and kids that I guess its ok.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Yeah I guess that's what I was afraid of. Unfortunately, barely anywhere else in this country appeals to me. I hate the south, I don't want to move somewhere too cold, I just don't know anymore. We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out where to go and California was the first solid choice that we had made. I realize without a lot of income, it's going to suck one way or the other. I appreciate all of the help that everyone has given me but now I'm down to wondering about this.

I won't be able to make 75k, nowhere near it. I guess I'm ashamed and embarassed but I am only 22. Again, thank you to everyone for all of your help but now it's just down to a decision game.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:23 PM

3,206 posts, read 8,837,732 times
Think of it this way...You're young and you can afford to make mistakes. If you make a mistake by moving out here, you can always go back home or to your family. Your family will always back you up in times of need. If you really love CA, Sacramento could be good choice. Not nearly as expensive as SoCal or the Bay Area, but still more expensive than the rest of the country. You won't get that SoCal feel, but it's actually one of my favorite places. They have nice warm summers and cool, crisp winters...not too cold though. I've been trying to find a place like that, especially one that gets only a small amount of snow every few years. Sacramento does. The Bay Area is not too from Sacramento, and the Sierra Nevada Mountains are only about an hour away and are the perfect place to go skiing in the winter.

I would go for SoCal though. If you can't afford it, at least you gave it a shot and you won't regret not taking a chance. You can always return home if it doesn't work out.

Old 11-22-2007, 01:37 PM

29 posts, read 85,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Think of it this way...You're young and you can afford to make mistakes. If you make a mistake by moving out here, you can always go back home or to your family. Your family will always back you up in times of need. If you really love CA, Sacramento could be good choice. Not nearly as expensive as SoCal or the Bay Area, but still more expensive than the rest of the country. You won't get that SoCal feel, but it's actually one of my favorite places. They have nice warm summers and cool, crisp winters...not too cold though. I've been trying to find a place like that, especially one that gets only a small amount of snow every few years. Sacramento does. The Bay Area is not too from Sacramento, and the Sierra Nevada Mountains are only about an hour away and are the perfect place to go skiing in the winter.

I would go for SoCal though. If you can't afford it, at least you gave it a shot and you won't regret not taking a chance. You can always return home if it doesn't work out.
I kind of agree with that. From a career perspective California may be a good move for you. I have been able to almost double my income out here. I am relocating because of the high cost of living but because of the higher salary's out here(that I get to keep) and relocating to a less expensive area , I am making out like a bandit.

If you do decide to move here just be aware of how it is going to be.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:10 PM

3,206 posts, read 8,837,732 times
Yeah. Compared to where you live now, you will be making much more money out here. It won't completely help the high cost of living, but it will make it easier.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:23 PM

Well, I'm prepared for higher cost of living. I did live in DC with my wife for a while. I'm not one of those uneducated people who expects to move somewhere and live the same way they did in an original home town. I expect to triple my money (I don't make much.) I also expect to pay 1000 more a month for an apartment. Yes, it is that cheap here.

It won't be a culture, cost, or system shock because I've prepared for all of it. I'm too young, too much is going wrong in the world for me to quit now, and I want to do it because I want to. Now!

lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County