Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:35 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,256,590 times

Advertisements

The Santa Ana Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 09:39 PM

605 posts, read 860,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStarLiesWest View Post
I've dreamt of LA for years like I told you, you know? Most people conveyed a message to me that it was all trash and gang warfare. It turned me off really fast as far as how thick these people were laying it on.
What's your opinion of SF, my wife is making me ask because she's curious. To me it seems highly expensive and impossible for a transplant like me at this point.
Would like to jump in. LA is, just my opinion, not a very nice place to live.
Maybe Brentwood, Hollywood Hills, or Westwood, but the city---you were right on above. Mucho crime. I visit Skid Row every year and it gets worse every year, does that make LA not the place to live? No.

Nothing is impossible.....The OC is nice, SF is nice---different strokes for different folks you know?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:41 PM

605 posts, read 860,071 times
Quote:
But live your entire life in a slow, boring, redneck filled, non-understanding, non-acceptance town and anywhere is paradise. I've visited several places with several types of people and I've never found something, not even in visiting or message board chats or pictures, that attracts me as much as SoCal does.
Have you ever visited Milton Freewater, Oregon....

Re: Santa Ana Mountains---I didn't know Santa Ana had mountans, what am I missing---unless you can only see them from MV?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 PM

158 posts, read 599,508 times
I could never live in LA. I love the place but, there's just so much that keeps me out of it. I'm fine with the idea of living in OC, and I like SF at first glance but I'd buy a house in San Jose before I got one there. At this point in my life, I'm interested in living, and the combo I have chosen offers me that, I think.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Call me stupid but, we don't have the time or the money. It's the biggest mistake ever, you'll tell me, just like everyone else has, and I understand why you'd say that. But live your entire life in a slow, boring, redneck filled, non-understanding, non-acceptance town and anywhere is paradise. I've visited several places with several types of people and I've never found something, not even in visiting or message board chats or pictures, that attracts me as much as SoCal does.

I don't base it off of a want for being in the film industry, it's a general love for California.
What city are you from again?

Well, with MV you can't really go wrong if you're looking for a family friendly area. Now, it would be different if you were moving to say Long Beach or the San Fernando Valley up here in LA, but you probably won't need to visit MV. Also, if you're still in college, there is University of California Irvine which wouldn't be hard to get to to do your studies.

A warning, don't talk about politics in SoCal. We have some people that are very extreme to one side. Same with global warming.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 PM

I'm not a political idealist, so politics is not something I speak of. As far as global warming goes, it intimidates me and that's that.

I'm from a town called Danville in Virginia. It's overrun with welfare clients and has no job market because nobody wants to work and wants handouts. It's in the gutter.

MV appeals to what I want out of an area, because I can visit LA, SD, Las Vegas, whatever I want. I can find work in Irvine, and I'm living in California. That's what I was looking for, and that's what I seem to have found. Buying a house comes way later, and who knows what kind of career I'll be in at that point in time. I'm in online college but I'll do undergraduate stuff later on, but my wife is looking at Saddleback for community college. I think that was the name..

Old 11-13-2007, 09:56 PM

WHOAH!!! YOU LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF FRIGGIN NOWHERE!!!! I just looked it up on GoogleEarth. Only 48k people and its the biggest city for like 50 miles. I truly feel bad for you.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 PM

Tell me about it. I mean, people are always so quick to tell me to stay where I am, but I'm like YOU COME HERE AND LIVE! My poor wife lived in DC all her life and she moved her when we had our child to live so we could get our lives straight. I regret her doing that, lol.

That's why we want our chances. I've been confined here practically all my life except for the few months I had with her up in DC. I fell in love with California when I was like 5, and she did as well. We always wanted to but we were afraid.

Well, **** that. Now's the time if ever.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:02 PM

I seriously hope you do well out here. You seem very determined unlike some idiots I help on this forum.

So when you plannin on movin.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:06 PM

January 31 is my last day at my horrible, putrid job. By that date we'll have our taxes filed, all of the money saved that we could've saved, and my school refunds if I get any. We hope to move the first Monday of February that follows the end of January on the Thursday that I quit. I'm so excited.

We've been stuck here since August of 2006 after moving all around Florida and NOVA to find a place but being unsuccessful. We've suffered all of these agonizingly slow months and now it's down to two and a half. Thank you for the nice comments!

I am determined. I'll work as many hours as I have to and do whatever I need to. I have many talents and I'll exploit all of them. Life's a one shot chance, and I'm not wasting it in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County