U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-15-2007, 07:45 PM

158 posts, read 406,584 times
My wife found a few places that she really likes, which is good for us. Our car is very good on gas, we don't have any debt except the car, no large baggage in the form of anything else I guess. All we're waiting on is tax time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 09:52 PM

37 posts, read 95,543 times
aren't those towns pricy?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:58 PM

158 posts, read 406,584 times
By California standards no. What we've allotted to pay for an apartment per month is equal to what my other in law pays near Washington DC. It's a good balance. Better jobs, better rate of pay, and the apartments are workable. To each his own.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 PM

37 posts, read 95,543 times
I just live in the cheapest part of the country. The pay is lower too but I couldn't imagine paying those rates.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 PM

621 posts, read 5,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yep, the Santa Ana Mountains

TopoZone - USGS SANTIAGO PEAK (CA) Topo Map
LOL!!!! Thanks.

Good luck OP, you'll need it

Old 11-18-2007, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,608 times
Default CA Thoughts

Was just reading these posts about California and had to jump in. I grew up in Northern CA, now live in Southern CA, and have lived other places in between. Here is my issue: my entire life I have run into people that have "dreamed their whole life" of living in California. They watch TV, maybe take a week or two vacation, and can't wait to move (usually from the midwest or some really inexpensive place). Then, once they get here, and reality sets in, they complain how expensive it is, how crowded it is, how rude everyone is, bad drivers, crime, on and on and on. I cannot stand this! If you are really sure you want to be here, and it's not some postcard vision, then great, do it. Just don't complain at Christmas, that there are "no change of seasons" or the million of other bitchings I have heard over and over and over. Be here and enjoy all the state has to offer, or leave. I know it's not perfect, but no where is.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:45 PM

2,498 posts, read 7,191,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade-pepper View Post
Was just reading these posts about California and had to jump in. I grew up in Northern CA, now live in Southern CA, and have lived other places in between. Here is my issue: my entire life I have run into people that have "dreamed their whole life" of living in California. They watch TV, maybe take a week or two vacation, and can't wait to move (usually from the midwest or some really inexpensive place). Then, once they get here, and reality sets in, they complain how expensive it is, how crowded it is, how rude everyone is, bad drivers, crime, on and on and on. I cannot stand this! If you are really sure you want to be here, and it's not some postcard vision, then great, do it. Just don't complain at Christmas, that there are "no change of seasons" or the million of other bitchings I have heard over and over and over. Be here and enjoy all the state has to offer, or leave. I know it's not perfect, but no where is.
The OP on this thread has been completly positive about their outlook in California. I see you are new to the forums, and welcome. We are here to help give information and all you have done is come in to this thread and become exactly what you said you don't like: COMPLAINERS. You came in and complained about people who are unhappy with their moves (sort of random to this thread). Instead of complaining about others, perhaps next time you can post something that says something other than "Here is MY issue:...." and could start like "I would just like to warn you that California is not like other areas of the country. You may be surprised by the lack of real seasons here..... blah blah blah." You see the difference in tone, but both produce the same point on how California might not be what someone expects. Just some advice on being a good poster here on the forums. Again welcome and share your insight.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,689,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade-pepper View Post
I cannot stand this!
I think it is a crack up...

Here's a perfect example:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/2020260-post1.html

Old 11-18-2007, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,608 times
Thank you for the welcome...I think. Don't really want to argue semantics, about how I chose to phrase my post. It wasn't "random" at all. If you go back and read the start of the post you'll see what I'm talking about. Many posters are encouraging StarLiesWest to move here. Great, as I mentioned, I grew up here, have lived all over the world, and have always come "home" because I believe it is the greatest place to live, period. That said, all things are relative. Words or phrases like "rich", "expensive", "nice", "ghetto", "bad neighborhood", "good job" mean very different things to different people. I just think you are doing people like StarLiesWest an injustice by not telling the complete story, warts and all, then allowing him to make an educated decision. Then, when he moves here, he won't be one of those people that bashes California because it's not what he thought is was going to be. Oh, and thanks for the humor Charles, I appreciate it!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 PM

2,498 posts, read 7,191,749 times
Ok,
so I guess here are my takes on the negative aspects of Mission Viejo, CA. I really love living here and think the city is one of the best around for raising a family, but here are the negative things I can think of (as minor as they may be).

1. The construction of new inland communities like Ladera Ranch, Las Flores, Coto de Caza, and Rancho Santa Margarita (all of which don't border the freeway) has created traffic problems on Mission Viejo's main streets that lead to the freeway (Oso Parkway, Crown Valley Parkway specifically).
2. The city wants to put a tacky eletric sign at the cities "central intersection" of La Paz Parkway and Marguerite in place of the current one with removeable letters.
3. You won't want to work any farther away than Irvine because traffic is bad on the 5 freeway at rush hour going north in the morning and south in the evening. If you are going the opposite direction, its a breeze.
4. The city might let the Casta del Sol Golf Club be rezoned for apartments leaving us only 1 public golf course and 1 private.
5. Some people may feel they have to have a lot to keep up with the competiton. For example, probably twenty kids at my sons' high school drive BMW's, a bunch drive Mercedes, Infiniti's are like pocket change, etc....
6. You live way to close to Coto de Caza and the Real Housewives that humiliate our county
7. The mall is a zoo at Christmas.
8. Even though Newhart Middle School has top performance scores, the buildings don't reflect that.
9. The closed a Blockbuster, leaving us only two!
10. Soccer moms are everywhere, I mean everywhere. That may drive you insane. Minivans and SUV's with "Go #12 Cindy" painted on the outside might out populate regular cars.
11. Escalade driving moms with 22 inch chrome wheels (they are diminishing in numbers, SUV's aren't so cool anymore
12. Even Mission Viejo has that 4% of people who actually try to live the life of the TV shows.
13. The temperature can get into the 90's in the summer.
14. The lake can get crowded in the summer.
15. The fireworks at 4th of July could be better.

That's about it on negative things about Mission Viejo. Feel free to add more. I think the pluses way outweigh the negatives here though.
Today on AOL, it showed crime statistics (the study is a little controversial), and Mission Viejo placed number 1 for safety in the USA. Just thought I would add it since it is a new study.
Detroit Named Most Dangerous U.S. City - AOL News (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County