Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:27 PM

203 posts, read 559,245 times

Advertisements

Coming out to the OC for a job interview. Biotech/device in Irvine.

I live in Downtown Philadelphia with my wife, son (3 years old), and one on the way. Live in a 1500 sq/ft rowhome. 100 years old, brick, plaster, and wood. No yard, but 4 parks within 6 blocks.

Questions
1) Is there any nice "urban" area in Irvine? Any place where you can walk to breakfast and a park playground?

2) If not urban Irvine, what's close to Irvine worth looking at? If not urban, at least walking friendly?

3) Are there any older areas? Seems like all the houses are 30 years old or less

4) Place to avoid

5) Other east coast city people who have moved out there; how is it, really? And don't tell me about the weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 09:04 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,398,921 times
Orange County is not urban. In general it is a giant suburban style area of just under 3 million people.

1. I think you could find a little bit of the "walking" experience in Ladera Ranch just east of Mission Viejo. This community is about 20-30 minutes from Irvine. The neighborhood is packed with young families that form a very neighborly feel and sense of community. I think it is an exception out here in So Cal where people hardly know there neighbors. The neighborhood is new (oldest homes are like 7 years old), but it has a lot of charm with parks and stunning homes with east coast architecture prevalent. Every home in Ladera Ranch is within half a block of a neighborhood park. The city has two main shopping centers within walking distance of certain villages of Irvine. You still would need a car to go anywhere outside of Ladera Ranch though.

Here is an example of a Ladera Ranch home.
http://prucalimages.fnistools.com//Images/Listing/55002/Large/s505638_1.jpg (broken link)
Community entrance from Mission Viejo on Crown Valley Parkway

One of the numerous parks

One of the clubhouses
http:///www.laderaranchrealty.com/img/gallery/6.jpg (broken link)

http:///upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Ladera_Ranch.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
You won't find anything old in Irvine. The city was incorporated in the '70s. It doesn't even have a downtown!

Ladera Ranch probably would be the closest thing you'll find to an urban environment based on architecture and walkability. Or Costa Mesa. It actually has a semi-urban feel in areas and you could find an older Spanish style house within walking distance of stores and restaurants. It's also close to the jobs in Irvine.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:49 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,423,742 times
PhillyIndy - I moved to OC 2 years ago after living in NYC, you are not going to find anything "urban" in OC like that.

Irvine is about as non-urban as it gets, Ladera Ranch is brand new and very cookie cutter as well. OC is just very new and pristine.

The closest cool "urban" living area is Belmont Shores in Long Beach (L.A. County) IMO.

The positives are OC is a major family oriented area, good schools, with low crime and very clean. But it is going to be completely opposite of what you are used to in Phillly.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:06 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,089,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
PhillyIndy - I moved to OC 2 years ago after living in NYC, you are not going to find anything "urban" in OC like that.

Irvine is about as non-urban as it gets, Ladera Ranch is brand new and very cookie cutter as well. OC is just very new and pristine.

The closest cool "urban" living area is Belmont Shores in Long Beach (L.A. County) IMO.

The positives are OC is a major family oriented area, good schools, with low crime and very clean. But it is going to be completely opposite of what you are used to in Phillly.
I forgot about Belmont Shores. I love that area, and it is a little urban and definitely older. I used to go to Long Beach just to enjoy the old, urban feel along Broadway. And surprisingly, LB and Belmont Shores is probably the cheapest place you can live in SoCal and walk to the beach.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:16 PM

51 posts, read 523,113 times
if you want older in OC, you need to head to the northern part of the county. fullerton actually has a pretty nice downtown, although your commute could get rough (it's about 20 miles, which can take quite a while in traffic). for something closer, i would think costa mesa would be the best you could find.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:49 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,423,742 times
I just can't recommend OC to anyone that wants an urban walkable living, especially someone from the East Coast (D.C. to Boston).

OC is total polar opposite of that environment, trust me.

Don't take it personally OC.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:51 PM

110 posts, read 438,366 times
I have heard bad things about Ladera Ranch. We have friends that call it "stepford ranch". There is nothing urban about the Irvine area. You can find a community where you can walk to the parks and shopping centers. That's about as urban as you can get. If you're determinded to live in Irvine, check out Woodbridge and some of the "older" areas of the city.

Keep in mind that the metrolink stops in Irvine. You can expand your search slightly if you can stay on the metrolink. I use it daily and it's very reliable.

Coming from an east coast city myself I have to warn you that life is extremely different out here. A co-worker from Philly hates it. He's on his way back to Philly in the spring. We are already researching other options. For some it's paradise, for others it's suburban boredom. Different strokes...Good luck

Old 11-20-2007, 01:11 PM

203 posts, read 559,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slang75 View Post
I have heard bad things about Ladera Ranch. We have friends that call it "stepford ranch". There is nothing urban about the Irvine area. You can find a community where you can walk to the parks and shopping centers. That's about as urban as you can get. If you're determinded to live in Irvine, check out Woodbridge and some of the "older" areas of the city.

Keep in mind that the metrolink stops in Irvine. You can expand your search slightly if you can stay on the metrolink. I use it daily and it's very reliable.

Coming from an east coast city myself I have to warn you that life is extremely different out here. A co-worker from Philly hates it. He's on his way back to Philly in the spring. We are already researching other options. For some it's paradise, for others it's suburban boredom. Different strokes...Good luck

Any details you can add as to why your Philly friend is leaving?
Philly loves to hate itself, but the posts I have seen here about OC are nearly as rough. Why is OC so loved and hated?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:31 PM

110 posts, read 438,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyIndy View Post
Any details you can add as to why your Philly friend is leaving?
Philly loves to hate itself, but the posts I have seen here about OC are nearly as rough. Why is OC so loved and hated?
Most of his complaints are directed at the people he has met here. The co$t of living is something else we have talked about. A lot of east coast transplants think the weather and natural beauty will make up for being away from a real city. It's a tough trade off. I can see why some people love it and I can see why some hate it.

The thing that really got to me fast was using the car for EVERYTHING. I am so sick of jumping in and out of my car already. I want to walk on a sidewalk with other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County