Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:23 AM

49 posts, read 68,675 times

Advertisements

I bet I know what the real story is, OP probably has experienced some of these kids running thru his / her property or possibly damaging something. And when he or she tells them to stop they don't respect OP and go about their ways. So for OP to try and be politically correct he or she is trying to find alternative paths to put a stop to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:00 AM

162 posts, read 231,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookooroo View Post
The parents are letting their kids out and play on the neighborhood street semi-supervised every afternoon. They ride their bikes all over the place and even play hockey with goal posts setup on both ends of the street. They just put "children at play" signs to warn traffic and pretty much "own" the street for the entire afternoon. Kids can get rowdy quickly when there are so many of them at play. Is this legal in Lake Forest? It's not just a noise issue but also a safety issue as kids don't care about traffic when they are playing. The parents have to keep yelling at their kids to warn them of on coming traffic. Sooner or later someone will get run over. Also, will this hurt the curb appeal of the community? Thanks!
This is pretty much what happens in every town in America. Kids play outside...it's not illegal and I hope it never is, although threads like this make me wonder for the future...

Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM

745 posts, read 1,284,650 times
Nice to hear kids are playing in the streets again. The OP could move to a 55+ community where there are no signs of youth or energy.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:12 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
we just moved to Portola Hills and there is sign CHILDREN PLAYING.

To the OP, streets are not only for cars. if that is the rule, then motorists would not have been liable if ever they bump somebody.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:36 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Actually kids playing in the streets may increase property sellability/values. It conveys the message this is a safe and neighborly community where parents feel comfortable letting their kids play together outside and the people are connected. To many that has far more appeal than a stark empty neighborhhod where the curtinas are all closed and there are bars int he windows and doors. Or where the place is full of scrunchy faced old ladies howling "Stay off my lawn!" at any passing kids.
I agree.

There is something immediately comforting to me when I am driving (or more likely walking) in my very urban, but village feeling neighborhood and there are some kids playing right in the middle of the street on a few of its side streets. Cul-de-sacs around here are rare on an overall rigid street grid pattern interrupted mostly because of topographical (canyons) constraints rather than by design, so those areas are known to be quiet and desirable escapes in area directly adjacent downtown and distinctly sought out.

Just having those kids there conveys that, one; the street has infrequent enough traffic that kids and parents have decided it's safe enough to get out there and therefore traffic noise is obviously not an issue, and two; that the neighborhood in general is family friendly and "chill" enough that grumpy, intolerant folks are, if not present, certainly outnumbered by a live and let live attitude of its immediate residents. And this is coming from a child free person that really is not overtly enamored by kids unless I know them haha.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:56 PM

277 posts, read 365,046 times
Be glad they are not playing loud rap music and selling crack.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:56 PM

174 posts, read 311,836 times
Oh the humanity, children, daring to play in the street??! Hot Dang why are they not inside playing on their iPads and game systems?

To the OP. Take a deep breath and relax. That is a pretty standard orange county family neighborhood for you. Twenty years ago <gasp> that is what I was doing. We played hockey, football and other such "menacing" sports when we weren't in school and before dark. As an adult I definitely find the sounds annoying but the human being in me realizes (and is happy) that these kids are outside being children and enjoying themselves, because lets be honest that doesn't seem to happen much anymore.

Oh and we played without the signs up - Oops. We always paid attention to whether or not cars were around (moved the goals and deferred to the 3000 lb vehicle coming our way) and were in by dark. I know they call it Laguna Woods now but Leisure wood definitely seems more your style - although, I have heard a lot of grandkids come to visit and that could be a BIG problem.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 PM

347 posts, read 666,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookooroo View Post
The parents are letting their kids out and play on the neighborhood street semi-supervised every afternoon. They ride their bikes all over the place and even play hockey with goal posts setup on both ends of the street. They just put "children at play" signs to warn traffic and pretty much "own" the street for the entire afternoon. Kids can get rowdy quickly when there are so many of them at play. Is this legal in Lake Forest? It's not just a noise issue but also a safety issue as kids don't care about traffic when they are playing. The parents have to keep yelling at their kids to warn them of on coming traffic. Sooner or later someone will get run over. Also, will this hurt the curb appeal of the community? Thanks!
Oh my good. OH my GOD. The type of people that crop up in this forum!!!!!

Go live out in Barstow for crying out loud.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:09 PM

66 posts, read 85,952 times
I would be pissed too tbh, play in your backyard don't obstruct traffic...I would go talk to the parents let them know that this is Orange County NOT Barstow so they should have a little class and not loiter in the street like little thugs. If they wanna act like trash and loiter and they wanna stay in OC maybe they should move to the Lake Forest trailer park on Muirlands or Santa Ana where that type of thing is common.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:38 AM

56 posts, read 104,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent from norcal View Post
I would be pissed too tbh, play in your backyard don't obstruct traffic...I would go talk to the parents let them know that this is Orange County NOT Barstow so they should have a little class and not loiter in the street like little thugs. If they wanna act like trash and loiter and they wanna stay in OC maybe they should move to the Lake Forest trailer park on Muirlands or Santa Ana where that type of thing is common.
Are you for real??

Many homes in OC do not have a backyard or a very small one. Neighborhoods such as my own, do not have a neighborhood park either. Children playing a friendly game of soccer or riding their scooters on a residential street does not make them or their parents "trash" or "little thugs". Most kids (including my own) are very aware of approaching cars and are respectful enough to move out of the way and not run all over our neighbor's yards. It amazes me how quickly some people forget that they too were once children themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County