U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:00 AM

10,846 posts, read 12,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
I think what you are witnessing in this forum is people who lived in Orange County but are now in Colorado, and they're bitter over the fact they can no longer afford to live in Orange County. These people come in here and try to make themselves feel better by ripping on OC. The bad part is, we are now stuck with these pathetic, bitter individuals here in Colorado. I would ignore them.
Actually, we could move back to our old zip code in Orange County because while prices have fallen there, we've only gained equity in our Denver house.

I wouldn't move back though, because I've never lived around such great people in such a great neighborhood as I do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:42 PM

98 posts, read 306,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I moved from OC to Denver too. I live in central Denver, so I see diversity. I love this place! I miss things about OC, but I'd never go back to live - unless I hit the lotto and can move to Laguna and buy a nice house with an ocean view where I don't have to work so I don't have to sit in traffic.
Hahaha - I don't know I am partial of Seal Beach, but Denver area is really growing on me. I doubt I will ever go back - everyone has been so nice here as well as I am loving the mountains - so close. I go back home for a couple of weeks every year. I still consider myself a Californian, I don't know if that will ever change? Maybe?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzilla View Post
Hahaha - I don't know I am partial of Seal Beach, but Denver area is really growing on me. I doubt I will ever go back - everyone has been so nice here as well as I am loving the mountains - so close. I go back home for a couple of weeks every year. I still consider myself a Californian, I don't know if that will ever change? Maybe?
Once a Californian, always a Californian. I too consider it my "motherland". The only time moving back enters my mind is when I'm walking the dog at 6 a.m., freezing to death! So I'll be California Dreamin' tomorrow morning, most likely. Denver is nuts - going from sunny and 76 degrees yesterday to a predicted low of 10 tomorrow night. I suppose I should just shut up and be glad we get warm days here and there in the winter.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Once a Californian, always a Californian. I too consider it my "motherland". The only time moving back enters my mind is when I'm walking the dog at 6 a.m., freezing to death! So I'll be California Dreamin' tomorrow morning, most likely. Denver is nuts - going from sunny and 76 degrees yesterday to a predicted low of 10 tomorrow night. I suppose I should just shut up and be glad we get warm days here and there in the winter.
Yup I hear ya. You say you live in a great neighborhood? Just wondering what are do you live in. I am in Aurora and I like it ok - but we just moved here as a blind move - to find an apartment to get situated. Still looking around as to where to finally really settle down.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yup I hear ya. You say you live in a great neighborhood? Just wondering what are do you live in. I am in Aurora and I like it ok - but we just moved here as a blind move - to find an apartment to get situated. Still looking around as to where to finally really settle down.
I'm in the Stapleton neighborhood. I can't say enough great things about it, even though it's still developing. The lots are small, but I don't want a lot of grass to mow, and there are so many parks, I don't see the need for a large yard. But it's really the people who make Stapleton great. It's so social, and I feel like I live around family after being here for only two years. Part of it may be that the neighborhood was built to be social, with front porches and houses close to the street. In the summer we have rotating happy hours on front porches, barbeques, etc. In the winter, it's more dinner parties or game nights. I don't think I could go back to typical suburbs where you don't know your neighbors.

Other pluses - you're within 15 min. of everything in central Denver, good public schools, lots of families with young kids (babies), another town center and a rec center to be built next year, more reatail going up that will be near neighborhoods, and it's very liberal. Of course this isn't a situation everyone would like. Some people value more privacy, want the larger lots and don't spend time in the city, so what's a great neighborhood to me might be hell for someone else. Oh, and prices are high too. A typical 3 bdr., 3 bath home around 2000 sq. ft. will be around $500K. But we were able to put 60% down coming from California in 2005 with lots of equity. There are many other Californians in our neighborhood too who also cashed out in 2005.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:16 AM

That sounds great! We are going to start looking for a house to rent I think - still not committed to buy. Maybe we can find something over there. That sounds great. It's crazy as around us - granted we are right by Aurora mall - there are like no parks! The kids in the complex don't play together, and we feel a bit isolated. It would be nice to find a more homey atmosphere and more kids for our son to play with. He is home schooled - so without parks and kids near by it can be a bit boring. Thankfully the home schooling group out this way is awesome.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Default Considering moving to california

I am considering moving to California this summer 2008 and would like any information regarding housing and neighborhoods. I want to stay as close to the ocean as possible. Thanks

Old 11-20-2007, 10:55 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,815,328 times
Quote:
The only time moving back enters my mind is when I'm walking the dog at 6 a.m., freezing to death!
This is when I am thinking how great it is to be here. Air is crisp and clean and everything is so quiet. I've even had to wear snow shoes to get accross the drifts. I love it here.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
That sounds great! We are going to start looking for a house to rent I think - still not committed to buy. Maybe we can find something over there. That sounds great. It's crazy as around us - granted we are right by Aurora mall - there are like no parks! The kids in the complex don't play together, and we feel a bit isolated. It would be nice to find a more homey atmosphere and more kids for our son to play with. He is home schooled - so without parks and kids near by it can be a bit boring. Thankfully the home schooling group out this way is awesome.
I've seen homes for rent here, but I think they're usually in the $2000-$2500 range for a 3 bdr. house. You could find a townhouse probably under that price though. They might even have a homeschooling group here, although everyone I know with kids send them to the grade school here, and parents are very involved in this school.

Traditional suburbs seem very isolationalist to me now, and like you said, parks are often scarce. I guess your big back yard (if you're in a house) is supposed to be your park. But it's nice living where we do since we have no family here and all our good friends we've met right in our neighborhood.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
This is when I am thinking how great it is to be here. Air is crisp and clean and everything is so quiet. I've even had to wear snow shoes to get accross the drifts. I love it here.
I'm thin and get cold very easy - and don't like wearing heavy clothes! But I deal with it. If it's not windy and at least in the 20s, a snowy day is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County