Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:21 PM

32 posts, read 61,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Nobody is denying that this state has a high cost of living as compared to other states, but most will NOT make the same amount of money there as they do here. It just doesn't work that way. If everybody lived in say Colorado and had high wages, then everything around them would cost more. Look at North Dakota. It's booming people are making money hand over fist, but everything they buy or rent has sky high prices. Why? Because they have high wages. And its due to the oil boom. So they have roughnecks making 100k a year. Hats great but rent there HAS DOUBLED on two bedroom apartments going for $1600 a month or MORE. So you are making money like Bernanke with QE but you're spending it as fast as you get it.
OP has a advantage that he can go and make the same money as here in another state. I wish him well in his endeavors. I truly do. California is THE MOST POPULATED state in the union. Just that alone will create densely populated areas. We also hav a metric ton of freeways and streets to accommodate that amount of people. And with that amount of people you are gonna get the criminal aspect and the poor and the rich and everything in between.
Ok so we reduce class size but how? The only way i know is to build more classrooms/schools and hire more teachers. So where is all this money gonna come from. I just got done building a science building again local school. It's just a building in a high school campus. Cost was 19 million. It was built to replace a old building.

Another way is to stop giving the State unions free reign on the taxpayers checkbook. That will take care of a lot of problems

You are ALWAYS gonna have panhandlers, Christ ma'am panhandlers were begging in Rome back in the Roman Empire days why do you think 2000 years somehow changed that. The only difference between us and them I we have better technology.
I agree we have problems. And lots of them.
In the last forty years, California has shifted where we spend our tax dollars. Even though the state constitution, (and several laws enacted because the constitution was being ignored) requires the state to fund education before spending money elsewhere, somehow more money goes to prisons than schools. It is a growth industry. As money is shifted from the classroom, class size increases. There is a weakening of the bond students make with schools and the success rate drops. At the same time, there is a similar increase in the prison population. I don't believe in coincidences. Someone is making big bucks on this; and this person does not have a teaching credential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:37 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaLady27 View Post
In the last forty years, California has shifted where we spend our tax dollars. Even though the state constitution, (and several laws enacted because the constitution was being ignored) requires the state to fund education before spending money elsewhere, somehow more money goes to prisons than schools. It is a growth industry. As money is shifted from the classroom, class size increases. There is a weakening of the bond students make with schools and the success rate drops. At the same time, there is a similar increase in the prison population. I don't believe in coincidences. Someone is making big bucks on this; and this person does not have a teaching credential.
Well you can thank the prison guard unions for their great lobbying. And you can thank the idiot voters of California for voting the WRONG people in office. There are people who have absolutely NO idea what they are voting on or for. But they are voting. Schools get PLENTY of money from states or bonds. They just manage to **** it away like every other state or government run entity.
People hear that cops or firefighters or prison guards are underfunded and crime will be rampant or its for the children they will cut their own throats (financially) to make sure the coffers stay filled.
You can also thank the various state unions for their take me out of this world wages deals and retirement funds. They are SOAKING the taxpayers but the taxpayers are too cow like to realize it. And the ones that do are the minority.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLGal View Post
OP, let us know how it works out after you've settled in for awhile.

I'm a California native (Los Angeles), and currently live in the SF Bay Area. Aside from all of the pros and cons of the states that you've mentioned moving to, have you considered whether you'd actually enjoy living in Dallas, Phoenix, etc.?
Ive spent plenty of time in both Vegas and Phoenix. Only thing I really dont like with those areas are the summers. Ive been to Dallas for several days, great city and people. My main wants are easy, less expensive rent and cost of living, less traffic, less people and a state that isnt controlled by liberal pieces of garbage infringing on my 2nd amendment rights. Any of the states on my list fit the bill.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 PM

296 posts, read 625,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Ive spent plenty of time in both Vegas and Phoenix. Only thing I really dont like with those areas are the summers. Ive been to Dallas for several days, great city and people. My main wants are easy, less expensive rent and cost of living, less traffic, less people and a state that isnt controlled by liberal pieces of garbage infringing on my 2nd amendment rights. Any of the states on my list fit the bill.
Fair enough, thanks for the response . I've also considered moving to the areas you've listed, and was curious to hear your thoughts.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 PM

1,500 posts, read 885,882 times
Default Dallas, Phoenix, Vegas weather

Quote:

Dallas in the summer is like living in a sauna!! Heat and humidity worse than Florida where at least you have beautiful ocean water...We have friends that are Texans and say Dallas 4 months of the year is literally indoor time...

Phoenix and Vegas also veryyyyyy hot 4 months of the years..tho not so humid..again...in all three states your A/C bills will be sky high or you will literally get sick..

but whatever floats your boat

Old 08-18-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Dallas in the summer is like living in a sauna!! Heat and humidity worse than Florida where at least you have beautiful ocean water...We have friends that are Texans and say Dallas 4 months of the year is literally indoor time..
Ummm, no its not. I have been following the weather in Dallas this summer. While the temps have reached 103-105, the humidity has typically stayed between 40-50% with a dew point between 55-65. I live 14 miles from the ocean and the humidity here is typical higher than that with a dew point very close. Obviously, our temps dont get into the triple digits but the humidity in Dallas is overrated by so many. Its nothing compared to FL where humidity will climb well into the 80% range and the dew point will push 75 or more. Heck, even Houston is much more humid than Dallas. We actually have worse humidity here closer to the ocean than Dallas does. I consider Phoenix indoor weather in the summer. While its very dry, temps 110-115 and getting into a car thats been sitting in the sun thats 150 degrees inside it will make you wish for 95 and some humidity.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 885,882 times
Quote:
Ummm, no its not. I have been following the weather in Dallas this summer. While the temps have reached 103-105, the humidity has typically stayed between 40-50% with a dew point between 55-65. I live 14 miles from the ocean and the humidity here is typical higher than that with a dew point very close. Obviously, our temps dont get into the triple digits but the humidity in Dallas is overrated by so many. Its nothing compared to FL where humidity will climb well into the 80% range and the dew point will push 75 or more. Heck, even Houston is much more humid than Dallas. We actually have worse humidity here closer to the ocean than Dallas does. I consider Phoenix indoor weather in the summer. While its very dry, temps 110-115 and getting into a car thats been sitting in the sun thats 150 degrees inside it will make you wish for 95 and some humidity.

ahhhh...so my friends who have spent their entire life..7 decades ...living in Dallas are wrong?? And you are right?? oh..so dumb of me to count on them instead of you Having been to visit them many times..August is about the worst time EVER...

Obviously less humidity than Fl...but I don't recall anyone thowing that into the comparision..

We also live 14 miles inland (OC)...and this has been the coolest summer since 1976...our electric bill tells that...

Perhaps you need to read up on global warming...this has been a way unusually more pleasant summer in most everywhere..

Better yet...why don't you just pack up your guns and LEAVE this evil state...bye bye..and give us a break from your continual whining of why you hate it here..

good luck

Old 08-18-2013, 06:55 PM

296 posts, read 1,250,117 times
I live in TX and I find it extremely hot and humid (San Antonio). Maybe the weather is better in Dallas or maybe it was good weather when you went, but trust me, it gets HOT. Like stepping out your door into a warm-steamy-shower-feeling hot. Not every single day, but definitely depends on the weather and whether it's rained or not. Sometimes the rain cools it down, but most of the time it just makes it feel like a sauna. And it doesn't cool down at night like desert regions do. I've gone out to grab my mail at 11pm at night in the dark and it would still be 90 degrees out. I used to live in Santa Margarita (inland OC but not too far) and it would reach the 90's sometimes but never ever this hot and humid (and I'm not a heat sensitive person generally, I prefer hot weather and until I moved here, I never ran my central air the entire time I was in CA). I think if you can handle it, go for it.. but I moved here fully expecting hot and I got more than I bargained for in the humidity department :P I would be able to handle AZ much better since at least it's a dry heat and for me, that's more tolerable. To be honest, what you save on cost of living here in TX, you definitely pay back having to run your a/c well into October.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Obviously less humidity than Fl...but I don't recall anyone thowing that into the comparision..
LOL. Read the second sentence of your post again

Old 08-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taraox View Post
I live in TX and I find it extremely hot and humid (San Antonio). Maybe the weather is better in Dallas or maybe it was good weather when you went, but trust me, it gets HOT. Like stepping out your door into a warm-steamy-shower-feeling hot. Not every single day, but definitely depends on the weather and whether it's rained or not. Sometimes the rain cools it down, but most of the time it just makes it feel like a sauna. And it doesn't cool down at night like desert regions do.
Yes, San Antonio is quite a bit more humid than Dallas due to it being closer to the gulf than Dallas. You guys do understand geography and how it effects weather right? I lived in Palm Springs, CA for a good 25 years. What makes you think the desert regions cool down at night? I worked for a radio station there KPSI FM 101. When the temp hit 101, they would give away tix to the water park. In July and August, it would hit 101 by 9am, sometimes earlier. It would be well over 100 at midnight and many nights, would only "cool off" down into the 90s. The LOWS would be what the highs would be in a place like Dallas. I'll take 90s and 40-50% humidity over 115-120 heat any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County