Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:35 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,824,632 times

Advertisements

Let's call it World Market. We might have a problem stocking enough choices though. Might be better to focus.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:57 PM

643 posts, read 917,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
This topic re: hatred of Irvine is nothing new. Irvine does not strive to be a hipster place with thriving nightlife, original architecture, or a city with walkable, centralized city center. So, if you want all those, then Irvine will not be your cup of tea. Irvine will never be a place everybody will like. Irvine is more about a family-oriented, suburban environment with good schools. If you want those things I have listed above, you would be better to live in LA, San Francisco, New York, etc. Those places (especially San Francisco and New York are actually even more expensive than Irvine). I have lived in Irvine for 11 and half years now and I know Irvine is not the most exciting place, etc, but I appreciate Irvine for what it is.
But Irvine did build a huge UC. That alone should have required the city to provide amenities to college age students. Its as if the city seeks to only reap the huge economic benefits from the school, without providing anything to the students. I think its a travesty the lack of nightlife the city has. Irvine is the worst. Its a fake ass city.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:01 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,698 times
I don't hate Irvine, at all, but I think it's a "bad deal" unless you're Chinese and have kids in public schools. For everyone else, you're overpaying for something, because Irvine isn't really "better" than most South County cities, but is generally more expensive, because of the "prosperous Chinese parents with kids who insist upon Irvine regardless of cost" crowd.

It's like living near the coast if you don't care about the beach. Waste of money if the area's assets don't pertain to you.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:39 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
But Irvine did build a huge UC. That alone should have required the city to provide amenities to college age students. Its as if the city seeks to only reap the huge economic benefits from the school, without providing anything to the students. I think its a travesty the lack of nightlife the city has. Irvine is the worst. Its a fake ass city.
I can see competing interests. For example, if Irvine had lots of nightlife, I could potentially see families being concerned that it would attract "seedy elements." The city is very suburban and I can see the college complaining how boring and soulless the city is. If they don't like the surroundings perhaps the student should consider going to another university. And if they are a commuter student, well they can have their fun at night at another city. Like I wrote earlier, you can't please everybody.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:01 PM

643 posts, read 917,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I can see competing interests. For example, if Irvine had lots of nightlife, I could potentially see families being concerned that it would attract "seedy elements." The city is very suburban and I can see the college complaining how boring and soulless the city is. If they don't like the surroundings perhaps the student should consider going to another university. And if they are a commuter student, well they can have their fun at night at another city. Like I wrote earlier, you can't please everybody.
Irvine is a huge land mass. They could have easily accompanied both college students and families much like many other college towns (DAVIS!). Its almost as if Irvine wants to pretend there isnt a huge college there. They just want to reap the benefits without providing any services. When i used to go to school there, there were families renting apartments right next to the school. They would call call the police all the time for just about anything (mostly noise). I mean come on, what quiet family would want to live right next to a university. Its as if they just want to suppress the students from having a good time.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Irvine is a huge land mass. They could have easily accompanied both college students and families much like many other college towns (DAVIS!). Its almost as if Irvine wants to pretend there isnt a huge college there. They just want to reap the benefits without providing any services. When i used to go to school there, there were families renting apartments right next to the school. They would call call the police all the time for just about anything (mostly noise). I mean come on, what quiet family would want to live right next to a university. Its as if they just want to suppress the students from having a good time.
Davis and Irvine are quite different. As for families living next to UC Irvine, I would venture to guess they are graduate students with families. So their stay would probably be temporary. Sorry that your experience living in Irvine was terribly boring, but you no longer live there. If the lack of nightlife was a top priority issue, why not have people take action or at the very least take action?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:20 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
So y'all are giving me cause for concern. As we contemplate exactly where we want to escape to (from the chill of the east coast); we are considering Irvine amongst other California cities.

We are not big partiers, but we do enjoy our weekly "Date Night" and would prefer to not have to drive for miles to find a nice Bar and Grill or non-chain Restaurant. So is Irvine really that lacking in nightlife?

Old 02-19-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
We are not big partiers, but we do enjoy our weekly "Date Night" and would prefer to not have to drive for miles to find a nice Bar and Grill or non-chain Restaurant. So is Irvine really that lacking in nightlife?
Based on the bolded above, Irvine will be more than fine for those requirements.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:38 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,826,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExeterMedia View Post
Based on the bolded above, Irvine will be more than fine for those requirements.
Mahalo! Where in Irvine is the district with the most selection of restaurants and B & Gs? Or is there a specific area?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Mahalo! Where in Irvine is the district with the most selection of restaurants and B & Gs? Or is there a specific area?
Depends on what kind of food you want.

For asian food, I'd say DJ Plaza on Alton/Main is a good choice. Irvine Center Drive/Culver also has a 99 Ranch and a few good asian places.

Heritage Plaza on Walnut/Culver has Japanese/Chinese/Persian/Indian places, and a Mitsuwa grocery.

Arbor Village near Walnut and Jeffrey probably has the best selection of asian non-chain restaurants (Thai, Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, etc).

For middle eastern food, I'd say University Park Center on Culver and Michelson is the best choice.

If you want to go European or Latin, Irvine Spectrum has a few good choices. If that doesn't satisfy, you can take a 10 minute non-freeway trip North-West to South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa where they have good indian, asian, italian places, and good steak houses.

If that fails, there are options within 15-25 minutes away in Garden Grove, Westminster, Cerritos, and even Long Beach. That's the great thing about Irvine, it's location, it's not that far from any of the best restaurants in OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County