Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 05:04 PM

102 posts, read 168,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
Big Pharma and Ecigs are both not OK in my book
And I care why?
The two hardest things to do in life? Quitting smoking and loosing weight.
Those who quit smoking the hard way via Big Pharma, usually gain extra pounds, plus have to make many many attempts.
Those who accidentally quit smoking via the eCigs, are happy, healthy, and rarely fall back to smoking.
You hate both.
I will respect that, but will assume you are a council person who is in deliberations at this time with other politicians over taxing all those people who quit smoking and have gained weight. The demoralizing in order to tax unfairly, never ceases to amaze me.
Read this fat ex smokers! (I've gained 30 lbs over 30 years of failed attempts too)
http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/...37-obesity.pdf

First step. Demoralize.
2nd step. Lie
3 rd step. Scare
4th step. TAX THEM TO DEATH
5th step. Shame anybody who argues with this treatment.

If you are not a council person wanting to satisfy the towns greed, then, why are you against quitting smoking via the proven effective and gentle way that eCigs provides? I bet half the ecig people out there are vaping half the nicotine levels they started at. Actually, I know a lot who don't use the nicotine anymore at all and only vape socially now. They are still skinny too. No extra taxes on them I'm afraid, unless you tax their tv football games ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM

I vape my cheesecake now instead of eating it. (Minus special Christmas or birthday).
Is it really such a surprise that Bloomberg is desperately trying to ban Flavors from eCigs? Noooooo.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:32 PM

1,499 posts, read 881,105 times
Default ecigs

hmmmm..not being a smoker..thank god I have enuf other vices...I do appreciate your attempt to stop cig smoking with ecig

what I do not know..please share your knowledge with me...is if ecig contain nictotine then while the risk of lung cancer etc due to hot nicotine laden smoke is gone..nicotine in the ecigs is still absorable into your blood stream..thus the risk of vascular disease..even some cancers..should still be there??

Which is why nicotine patches and gums may be better,,this is still risk involved

BTW I do believe that the crazies who try and limit WHERE you can vape are outa line..

good luck and hopefully your goal is total cessation of nicotine in any form..(without gaining weight of course)

Old 08-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
hmmmm..not being a smoker..thank god I have enuf other vices...I do appreciate your attempt to stop cig smoking with ecig

what I do not know..please share your knowledge with me...is if ecig contain nictotine then while the risk of lung cancer etc due to hot nicotine laden smoke is gone..nicotine in the ecigs is still absorable into your blood stream..thus the risk of vascular disease..even some cancers..should still be there??

Which is why nicotine patches and gums may be better,,this is still risk involved

BTW I do believe that the crazies who try and limit WHERE you can vape are outa line..

good luck and hopefully your goal is total cessation of nicotine in any form..(without gaining weight of course)
Thank you! I'm very happy with the results, and the weight gains have become ancient history. I haven't lost what I gained in the past while trying all the other ways to quit, but I also haven't gained anymore in the 4 years I've been vaping. I imagine if I tried real hard I'd lose that extra baggage, but ...well, .... Life's too short to waste on sit-ups right.

You've raised valid questions, valid concerns. I'm not a Dr. or anybody that knows the answers, so I will provide a link to CASAA.org (consumer advocates for smoke FREE alternatives assc). They have compiled so many studies, tests, articles, it's overwhelming. On their site, type nicotine into their search engine.

Here is one page I'll copy/paste for you to get an immediate idea to your questions.

Here goes:
Nicotine Effects

Nicotine Effects

A variety of ingredients in tobacco smoke cause cancer, heart disease, and lung disease. Nicotine is not one of them.

Nicotine is believed to be addictive because people have a great deal of difficulty giving up smoking. But there are major differences between nicotine and drugs such as alcohol, heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamines that people use to "get high. For one thing, nicotine does not cause intoxication. It does not impair judgement, motor skills, or the ability to get along with others. In fact, it improves these abilities.

Nicotine Benefits

Nicotine is being considered as a therapeutic agent to treat such conditions as attention deficit disorder, Alzheimer's Disease, Parkinson's Disease, Tourette syndrome, sleep apnea, obesity, ulcerative colitis, and inflammatory skin disorders. [1]
Nicotine has the following benefits:

Relieves depression [2]
Reduces anxiety [3]
Improves ability to concentrate and long term memory [4]
Protects against developing high blood pressure [5, 6]
Protects against weight gain [7]
Protects against developing Parkinson's Disease [8]
Nicotine Abstinence

Theoretically, the healthiest thing a smoker can do is to totally give up using nicotine in any form. But does reality conform to the theory?

The official list of nicotine withdrawal symptoms in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-IV) includes depressed mood, sleep disturbance, irritability, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, restlessness, decreased heart rate, and increased appetite or weight gain. These symptoms are supposed to peak within a day or so and disappear altogether after a couple of weeks. However, researchers have found that in some groups of quitters, symptoms do not dissipate and can, in fact, worsen as time goes on. [9]

The problems with concentration, memory, and mood make it difficult to fulfill responsibilities of daily living. How many employers are willing to overlook impaired job performance for weeks or months at a time? What effect does prolonged irritability that sometimes escalates into anger have on relationships with family, coworkers, and friends?

For many would-be abstainers, the Catch 22 is that some improvements in physical health???for example, better lung function???must be paid for with possibly permanent declines in cognitive and emotional health. Is it any wonder that so many relapse to smoking within a few days of quitting?

For those who do manage long-term nicotine abstinence, the picture is not 100% better in terms of physical health. For years the medical community claimed that smokers only gained 5 pounds after quitting. More recent studies reveal that the average weight gain is closer to 5 kilograms (11 pounds), accompanied by an average increase in waist circumference of 3.88 cm. [10] In 13 percent of women and 10 percent of men, weight gain exceeds 28 lb. The weight gained with smoking cessation is very resistant to weight loss interventions. [11]

Smokers who become nicotine abstinent develop hypertension at a higher rate than continuing smokers and those who are at risk for diabetes develop that disease 26% more often than continuing smokers. [12]

Conclusion

Those at risk of long-term cognitive and/or mood impairments, hypertension, and diabetes, should be allowed to pursue smoking cessation through permanent replacement of adequate amounts of nicotine using a reduced-harm smoking alternative. In view of the fact that alternatives that are reduced-harm to a smoker are totally without harm to general society, there is no compelling reason to deny reduced-harm alternatives to anyone who wants to take advantage of the beneficial effects of nicotine.
[1] Powledge (2004). Nicotine as Therapy. PLoS Biology. 2004 Nov; 2(11).Nicotine as Therapy

[2] Bertrand (2005) The possible contribution of neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in depression. Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience. 2005;7(3):207-16. National Center for Biotechnology Information
[3] Cohen (2009). Anxiolytic effects of nicotine in a rodent test of approach-avoidance conflict.. Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2009 Jun;204(3):541-9. National Center for Biotechnology Information

[4] Warburton (1992). Nicotine as a cognitive enhancer. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry. 1992 Mar;16(2):181-91. National Center for Biotechnology Information

[5] Dowling (2007). Nicotine inhibits cytokine production by placenta cells via NFkappaB: potential role in pregnancy-induced hypertension. Molecular Medicine. 2007 Nov-Dec;13(11-12):576-83. National Center for Biotechnology Information

[6] Lee (2001). Effects of smoking cessation on changes in blood pressure and incidence of hypertension : a 4-year follow-up study. Hypertension 2001 Feb;37(2):194-8. www.data-yard.net

[7] Nordstrom (1999). Long-term effects of nicotine gum on weight gain after smoking cessation. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 1999 Sep;1(3):259-68.National Center for Biotechnology Information

[8] Huang (2009). Multiple roles for nicotine in Parkinson's disease. Biochemical Pharmacology. 2009 Oct 1;78(7):677-85. National Center for Biotechnology Information

[9] Piasecki (1998). Profiles in discouragement: Two studies of variability in the time course of smoking withdrawal symptoms. Journal of Abnormal Psychology. Vol 107(2), May 1998, 238-251. http://psycnet.apa.org/

[10] Pisinger (2007). Waist circumference and weight following smoking cessation in a general population: the Inter99 study. Preventive Medicine. 2007 Apr;44(4):290-5. National Center for Biotechnology Information

[11] National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults.NIH Heart, Lung and Blood Institute

[12] Smith (2005). Incidence of type 2 diabetes in the randomized multiple risk factor intervention trial. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2005 Mar 1;142(5):313-22.National Center for Biotechnology Information

Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 PM

643 posts, read 1,483,469 times
Laguna Beach City Council To Not Ban Electronic Cigarettes | PRLog

Laguna Beach make the right choice. I don't smoke, but I've lost dear loved ones to the heinous and insidious addiction and e-cigs don't appear to be a threat to the general pop. Can we do nothing for the common good? Must everything be all about the pretty little preferences of every individual? I think e-cigs are helpful to many people whose lives might depend on quitting and it's not up to us (nor necessary for us) to police their progress or their use of an electronic tobacco vehicle that doesn't put second-hand smoke in our faces. The stench of deep fried food and cheap perfume makes me ill -- should we outlaw those too? Shut up already, whiners in Seal Beach -- find something real to bellyache about. And hats off to Laguna Beach.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 PM

211 posts, read 372,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eras View Post
And I care why?
The two hardest things to do in life? Quitting smoking and loosing weight.
Those who quit smoking the hard way via Big Pharma, usually gain extra pounds, plus have to make many many attempts.
Those who accidentally quit smoking via the eCigs, are happy, healthy, and rarely fall back to smoking.
You hate both.
I will respect that, but will assume you are a council person who is in deliberations at this time with other politicians over taxing all those people who quit smoking and have gained weight. The demoralizing in order to tax unfairly, never ceases to amaze me.
Read this fat ex smokers! (I've gained 30 lbs over 30 years of failed attempts too)
http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/ppi/...37-obesity.pdf

First step. Demoralize.
2nd step. Lie
3 rd step. Scare
4th step. TAX THEM TO DEATH
5th step. Shame anybody who argues with this treatment.

If you are not a council person wanting to satisfy the towns greed, then, why are you against quitting smoking via the proven effective and gentle way that eCigs provides? I bet half the ecig people out there are vaping half the nicotine levels they started at. Actually, I know a lot who don't use the nicotine anymore at all and only vape socially now. They are still skinny too. No extra taxes on them I'm afraid, unless you tax their tv football games ...
I have no idea what you are saying here. Anyhow, congrats on quitting cigs! Losing weight is not hard at all. It just takes will power and a strict plan. EASY!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,560,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eras View Post
Cigarettes ARE dangerous, eCigs are not. There are studies that prove ecig vapor is harmless to me & to bystanders. Let me go find one..brb.

Ok, here is one;

Lab Reports: ecigarettes

A major one:
http://publichealth.drexel.edu/SiteD...0e603/ms08.pdf

I might get hit by a car, does that mean I should stop being a pedestrian?
research evolves over time. "e-cigs" are new, and mostly untested.

You sound like a whiny child who has had her toy taken away from her.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM

296 posts, read 1,247,460 times
My friend quit smoking real cigarettes and smokes those ecig things now, more than she ever smoked cigarettes. I think it's just replacing one thing with another. It's still inhaling a chemical concoction into your body, regardless of the nicotine level. The point of the patches and all that is that you wear them temporarily to slowly wean yourself off nicotine all together.. It's not really quitting smoking if you're just giving up cigarettes but just replacing them with something else. Obviously she's not using the ecigs to wean off smoking, she's just replaced smoking cigarettes with smoking ecigs instead. I'm an ex smoker myself so IMO the action/habit of smoking (insert whatever device here) is just as addicting as the nicotine. Personally, I don't want to have to breathe in anything someone else is smoking in public.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,884,724 times
I know two people who switched to ecigs. For whatever reason, they're now back on regular cigs so I visit them only when they're having a get together outside on their back patio. With both of them puffing away inside the house, it's unbearable in there especially in the Summer when the place is closed up to keep the cool air in.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
I have no idea what you are saying here. Anyhow, congrats on quitting cigs! Losing weight is not hard at all. It just takes will power and a strict plan. EASY!
LOL, yes, it's quite a mouthful. In summary, it means that Nicotine is basically ok, for most people, and even beneficial to many. Nicotine is not a culprit.
Thanks! I'm really stoked about quitting and love a good pat on the back from well wishers with good hearts.
Losing weight at my age is easier in theory, but I will give it another try after Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County