Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 02:12 PM

18 posts, read 23,716 times

Advertisements

I have two bathroom floors that need to be tiled. Looking for someone who is
1. close by 2. Will return my calls 3. Will be on time 4. Is licensed
I have the tiles already

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 02:21 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,378 times
Do it yourself, there are youtube videos. It could be fun and with the 10 to 50 grand you save buy yourself a new car (or 5 new cars). It's really not that hard and only takes a few hours.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Its not hard but it takes some skill. If its upstairs use hardibacker the special screws and then tile. If upstairs plywood DONT mastic right over the wood floor the dry wood will wick the moisture out of the mastic too fast.
If on concrete slab you need a moisture barrier pm me if you have any questions

Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
Do it yourself, there are youtube videos. It could be fun and with the 10 to 50 grand you save buy yourself a new car (or 5 new cars). It's really not that hard and only takes a few hours.

ahh...not sure if you read the op details..he has two bathrooms ONLY to tile..and he has the tile..

10-50 grand in labor??? not in this planet

tho it is not that tough..one needs to have or rent a tile cutter,,have the grouting tools and expertise,,plus the unlerlay etc etc...

easy but not as easy as you make it out to be

surely not enuf saving to buy 5 cars!!...maybe a bike

Old 09-16-2013, 01:14 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
ahh...not sure if you read the op details..he has two bathrooms ONLY to tile..and he has the tile..

10-50 grand in labor??? not in this planet

tho it is not that tough..one needs to have or rent a tile cutter,,have the grouting tools and expertise,,plus the unlerlay etc etc...

easy but not as easy as you make it out to be

surely not enuf saving to buy 5 cars!!...maybe a bike
It doesn't take a genius to cut some tile (just need a circular saw) and stick 'em on the ground evenly spaced with grout in between. My current landlord did it to the bathroom where I'm staying, just last month. Took him all of a few hours to rip up old floor, measure and cut the new tile, and install it on the floor. It's really easy. Then again I'm one of those jack-of-all-trades, everything seems easy to me. Sometimes I just don't understand why other people can't do things like I can. I wish more people were more able Then again if everyone was, there wouldn't be a service market!

p.s. as for cost, see this thread, (2 second google search): http://www.zillow.com/advice-thread/...throom/279322/
They paid $6,000 to tile just one bathroom. Then again that included the tile.

You're right, 10 to 50 grand is more like for a full bathroom remodel, not just tiling the floor.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
It doesn't take a genius to cut some tile (just need a circular saw) and stick 'em on the ground evenly spaced with grout in between. My current landlord did it to the bathroom where I'm staying, just last month. Took him all of a few hours to rip up old floor, measure and cut the new tile, and install it on the floor. It's really easy. Then again I'm one of those jack-of-all-trades, everything seems easy to me. Sometimes I just don't understand why other people can't do things like I can. I wish more people were more able Then again if everyone was, there wouldn't be a service market!

p.s. as for cost, see this thread, (2 second google search): What is the approximate cost to re-tile and grout ... - Zillow Real Estate Advice

You're right, 10 to 50 grand is more like for a full bathroom remodel, not just tiling the floor.

the bathroom in your link was 300 square feet...that is a big bathroom...

a circular saw will NOT cut the newest and best tiles like ceramic slate, marble etc...

tile saws are "cooled with water as they cut"..have never seen a circular saw that has that capabilitiy

and yes I do know of which I think..he is also a DIY guy..he owns a tile saw...

Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:

p.s. as for cost, see this thread, (2 second google search): What is the approximate cost to re-tile and grout ... - Zillow Real Estate Advice

your landlord was using a circular TILE saw

Old 10-24-2013, 05:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
PM me if you're still looking. I can give you my tile guys number. License insured
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: