Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 12:57 AM

3 posts, read 7,179 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I have been lurking here for the past few weeks reading all of the positive and negative aspects of living in Orange County. I have recently been asked to fly down for an interview for a game company in Santa Ana. They are located in South Santa Ana, just north of Costa Mesa and the John Wayne Airport.

A long time ago they asked me for a salary range, so after doing a tiny bit of research I gave them 52-58k. I'm trying to figure out if that will be enough to live anywhere that isn't completely crime ridden and somewhat near where I will be working.

Some stats to help you:

*I am married, but do not have any children, and wouldn't necessarily be planning on having any while we're there.

*I am not looking to buy a house, just rent a decent 1 bedroom apartment in a decent area. i.e. not have to worry every night that I will wake up with a gun to my head or my car missing.

*I have very little debt, just a 360/mo car payment and 200/mo in student loans. No credit cards etc.

*The company would be fully paying medical/dental/vision for both me and my husband. They also have 401K.

*The job market in my industry up here is at a stand-still for me, I got laid-off in December of last year and have yet to gain full-time employment.

*I don't mind driving everywhere, as public transport is non-existant here. I also used to commute 3-4 hours each way to my previous job.

I would just like some honest opinions from people that actually live there, I am ready for the truth good or bad. Thanks very, very much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Based upon that, I'm guessing you can probably afford $1200 a month. Go on craiglist and put in your max amount and look. Stay in places like Irvine, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, maybe parts of Tustin. Avoid Santa Ana.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:29 AM

Thanks JakeDog, is $1200 the lowest I should expect to pay to live someplace decent? I was already looking at the areas you mentioned, so that's good to know. Thanks!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 PM

110 posts, read 440,062 times
You could look more inland and probably get more bang for your buck. I've only visited a few times, but really like the city of Orange. It's very close to Santa Ana and you could take a toll road to avoid the 5 or 55.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,395 times
I live in Mission Viejo and work in Santa Ana. I haved lived in quite a few cities in South OC. You might find a good cheap place in costa mesa. But, watch out for the barrios. Also, the cheaper rents mean less parking. I don't know if you have multiple cars. There is a large rental market right now, so you can definitely negotiate on price. Besides craigslist, you should look at Pennysaverusa.com. Lots of private listings. Good Luck.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 AM

499 posts, read 2,156,983 times
Can I take a guess, and say Obsidian? Blizzard is in Irvine, I think.

From your financial description, and assuming your husband earns in same ballpark as what you're asking (let's say 100k total household) I am certain you can find something comfortable, safe and nice to come home to at around $1400 a month and up.
Look in cities like Costa Mesa, Irvine, and yes, Santa Ana.

If say you lived in some of the nice enclosed community, full-facility apartments off Sunflower, very close to the location you mention, you would be looking at a 20 minute surface street commute. Those places have Santa Ana as their address, and just about anyone you talk to will say "Oh, don't live in Santa Ana" but don't be immediately turned off by the name of a city, go and have a look first.

In general I will tell you that with a little research, you can easily find what you describe.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-22-2007, 08:45 AM

158 posts, read 600,772 times
You're in a lot better shape than I am, you won't have any problems. I'm in the same position as you except we have a small child together. I was looking at living in Mission Viejo and working in Irvine, but I doubt I'll be able to pull 50k. I'll be the only one working. According to people I've encountered lately, I shouldn't bother. And I guess I'm starting to see their point.

I was stuck on Missino Viejo due to how safe it is, how nice it is, its location, and the prices. Good luck to you.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:25 PM

320 posts, read 1,733,186 times
assuming the spouse work as well you will be fine. Just don't expect to live on or near the water ofr that price. One of the unfortunate downfalls of the real estate situation is its now a rental market so rents are going up as people walk away from the houses and have to rent again.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:01 AM

Thanks for all the tips and responses!
Unfortunately, husband will not be earning in the same ballpark, as he plans to go back to school and work only part-time. Though, I'm always hoping I can negotiate a higher salary... ; )

I don't expect to live near or on the water, I don't mind driving to the beach, hell it'll just be nice to have access to one again. Also, we only have one car, we may buy a motorcycle or something like that when we get down there if need be, just because it's more economic(and we always wanted one).

I should be on my way down there late next week, or early the week after, so I guess we'll see what happens, thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County