Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:06 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times

Advertisements

I'm rust'n in Tustin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,171 times
Very nice place. Beautiful.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:55 AM

38 posts, read 119,045 times
North Tustin. Might be right at the limit of your price range, but it is mostly custom homes, larger lots, and great schools.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:26 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan356 View Post
North Tustin. Might be right at the limit of your price range, but it is mostly custom homes, larger lots, and great schools.

600 K will not buy a custom home, larger lots in North Tustin..

closer to 1 m if that

we have lived here for 28 years...

just saying

Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 AM

38 posts, read 119,045 times
Totally agree! In fact $600k barely gets you into North Tustin at all, but with all the custom homes around it makes the '60s ranchers less cookie cutter. Plus even the smallest North Tustin lots are larger than most newer developments. I've seen a few 1500 sq ft fixers on 8000+ sq ft lots sell in the area for right around $600k. Try pricing out a home with an 8000 sq ft lot in Irvine

Old 12-04-2013, 10:05 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Character to me is a euphemism for beat up and funky. You can find that in Santa Ana all day any day. You might get lucky and find one of the first homes in Irvine or MV.

Some of the fully restored Victorians around downtown Orange have style and character, but not for 600k.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
600 K will not buy a custom home, larger lots in North Tustin..

closer to 1 m if that

we have lived here for 28 years...

just saying
You live in a nice area. My friend went to Hewes and then FH.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,185,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Character to me is a euphemism for beat up and funky.
I might say beat up OR funky.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 AM

33 posts, read 72,318 times
If you are still checking your post, here is my 2 cents' worth:

As with anything, there will be trade-offs.

I see others asked what you meant by your comment about housing, but it doesn't look like anyone asked what your definition of a "good" school is. There are schools in Orange County (and within your commute time) where your kindergartner can become bilingual and biliterate by being immersed in one language or another -- these can be not just good, but phenomenal - what an incredible gift to your child! (Note: If you decide to explore the one in Lake Forest, very close to that 405/5 interchange, understand that the entire school is not (yet, anyway) part of the Two Way Immersion program, so do not look at the school's test scores -- contact the office and ask about the test scores for the students in the Two Way program -- historically, at least, they have been outstanding -- and ask about the current residency requirements for getting your child into that program, as they have changed over the years.) There is at least one school in OC where you child can literally move at his/her own pace per subject, rather than being forced to endure the lock-step "everyone moves at the same pace for every subject and doesn't go beyond the ___ grade curriculum" mentality found in most schools (which, as we all know, can be just right, excruciatingly boring and/or frustrating, depending on where your child falls for each subject )-- the individual pacing sounds good IMHO, but it might not fit your definition of "good," and/or might be out of your preferred commute time. Then there are are the majority of schools , which teach only in English and force everyone to move along at the same pace, but always score high on the standardized tests -- many think those are "good" schools, but not sure what you would think. (Just some food for thought…)

Quick thoughts re houses with character and views of something other than your neighbors' houses, your budget and preferred commute:

Houses with character: Santa Ana. Don't listen to those who diss it. You won't get the views you are looking for (Santa Ana is flat, after all); however, within your budget, you will find neighborhoods with lots of houses built in the 1920s through 1950s (Spanish, Tudor, Craftsman, etc, for the older ones and ranch for the 1950s homes) voluntary neighborhood associations (to distinguish between the newer cities' neighborhoods with mandatory homeowners associations with their pros and their cons) that put on home tours, parades, summer concerts, etc., giving you and your child the opportunity (if you choose) to really to get to know the people who live in your neighborhood. Santa Ana has a wonderful downtown with some of the best restaurants in Orange County and more wonderful restaurants, food emporium, etc. to open downtown next year. Santa Ana is conveniently located by the 5, 405, 55, 22 and 57 freeways, as well as the famous South Coast Plaza (part of which is in Costa Mesa and part in Santa Ana). Like any city in Orange County, it has its issues (even Laguna Beach, which is out of your budget but might otherwise be a fit, has its serious traffic woes) but it also has many plusses (including being in your preferred commute window).

Tustin: Similar to Santa Ana in styles of houses, and, for your budget, you would probably be limited to the flat part of Tustin, so again, not the view you are looking for. Old Town Tustin is nice, and you might be able to walk to the library, a restaurant or two, but I remember an article in the paper a few years ago about people in Old Town Tustin complaining about being under the flight path for John Wayne, so something to consider. North Tustin, which is technically under the jurisdiction of the County, rather than the City of Tustin, has some houses on hills with views, but don't think they would be in your budget (and probably lacking in the character you want).

Orange: Comments for Santa Ana and Tustin apply here as well. As others mentioned, it, too, has the nice Old Town Orange with lots of restaurants and antique shops. Like Santa Ana, and Tustin, they have home tours and other activities. Not positive, but I think you would be priced out of Orange Park Acres (even for houses without a view and on a smaller lot), but it is not cookie cutter homes. Other parts of Orange (may actually be County jurisdiction) have some newer (i.e., 1960's and up) homes tucked away in a canyon-y area on larger lots ( I remember going to a dog trainers house there years ago, and the neighbor had goats) but probably out of your budget, and probably not what you are looking for in terms of "character."

Silverado(Modjeska, and the other canyons there): Yes, elementary school would be a commute, since the school district closed the local public elementary school a couple (few?) years ago, a would everything else (other than what you can get at the general store). Yes, you might be able to find a place there on a larger lot and perhaps with a nice view. I can understand the attraction. If you haven't been there, however, you need to understand it is a very quirky place. Your view could be of someone's million dollar stucco "McMansion," a ramshackle shack (literally) with cars up on blocks in the yard, a cute cottage/cabin, and everything in between. (Those canyons are under the jurisdiction of the County, with its much more relaxed zoning standards, etc., which can have its pros and its cons). Seems like they have a wonderful community spirit (Fourth of July parade, volunteer fire department for all those fires and mudslides, general store), but I also get the impression that every weekend (at least) they also have what at times must seem like every Harley rider in Orange County roaring through those narrow canyons.

Hope that is of some value!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
San Clemente has great historic homes down by the beach that have character and you get a break on property taxes too. But you will definitely see your neighbors and probably won't get much view for under 1M. Tustin has cute areas with historic homes too. Can't really think of much else. Maybe San Juan Capistrano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County