Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 03:32 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,347,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Hi LuvSouthOC,

We actually live in Lafayette and I agree, this whole area is beautiful. I just wish it were warmer in the winter and more affordable. I can't think of a time we haven't struggled financially in California, but still, for us, it is worth it. I always tell DH, we can be financially comfortable in a place we don't like or we can struggle financially in a place we do. Life is too short. Small houses don't bother us. I know that many people leave California so that they can afford a big house. That has never been a priority for us as we a minimalists and can live in smaller homes.

We have left California and come back three times mostly due to finances. Even though DH makes good money, it is hard to raise a family on a single income here and it is a priority for me to stay home with our kids.

My screen name is a street we used to live on once upon a time and actually has nothing to do with Tarzana, but I can see how one might draw that conclusion.

We have considered Ventura county, but the air quality in LA is a deal breaker. Not sure about Topanga Canyon, we have never driven through. But secluded isn't my thing (I am an extrovert and enjoy being near people). We prefer urban/suburban, but Santa Monica is out of our price range and isn't very family friendly.

Again, thanks for starting this thread. It is good to think about all of the wonderful things we love about this great state of ours.

I grew up in California, and now live in the Chicago suburbs, where I guess you left. I miss the hills, ocean and warmth in the winter; that's about it. I love the towns here, particularly our town with the train to downtown and the museums and lakefront, the beautiful trees and houses, the four seasons, down to earth real people, the Sox, Bears and the Bulls. I love the summers in Chicago; festivals every weekend and a million things to do in a real city. The schools for my kids are great, and given the number of corporations here, the opportunities are good. Would I ever go back; not unless as a snowbird in retirement for a few months during the winter. The great thing about the Chicago area is that it accomodates any income bracket as far as housing; you have affordable suburbs, mid level suburbs, and high end suburbs with values close to or equal to Newport Beach; no financial strain necessary because of the price points. I would compare Evanston to Santa Monica any day, family friendly, urban/suburban and a college town (Northwestern). To each his own; my world opened up the day I left the California parochial safety dome and discovered new places, things and ways of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 04:32 PM

60 posts, read 104,996 times
I havent read all the posts. But, Im going to miss In-n-Out!!! nuff said

Old 02-06-2014, 06:11 PM

961 posts, read 2,561,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I grew up in California, and now live in the Chicago suburbs, where I guess you left. I miss the hills, ocean and warmth in the winter; that's about it. I love the towns here, particularly our town with the train to downtown and the museums and lakefront, the beautiful trees and houses, the four seasons, down to earth real people, the Sox, Bears and the Bulls. I love the summers in Chicago; festivals every weekend and a million things to do in a real city. The schools for my kids are great, and given the number of corporations here, the opportunities are good. Would I ever go back; not unless as a snowbird in retirement for a few months during the winter. The great thing about the Chicago area is that it accomodates any income bracket as far as housing; you have affordable suburbs, mid level suburbs, and high end suburbs with values close to or equal to Newport Beach; no financial strain necessary because of the price points. I would compare Evanston to Santa Monica any day, family friendly, urban/suburban and a college town (Northwestern). To each his own; my world opened up the day I left the California parochial safety dome and discovered new places, things and ways of life.
We lived in Evanston and the schools aren't even close to being as good as the schools my children attend now. That being said, there are certainly things I miss. There is nothing like Midwesterners. They are loyal and true friends and such friendly people. I miss living in a grid neighborhood and walking out my front door knowing there would always be people (not just landscapers) outside to make pleasantries with. For some people, that would be a negative, but for an extrovert like me, it was
perfect. I never felt as isolated in the burbs in Evanston. I also miss thunderstorms (something fierce!) and the excitement of the first signs of spring. But still, I don't deal well with cold and my eyes crave natural beauty so California is the clear choice. Evanston was a great place if you have to live in the Midwest.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aythan View Post
I havent read all the posts. But, Im going to miss In-n-Out!!! nuff said
And I am glad to have it back. The one at The District in Irvine has the best service of any In and Out too!

Old 02-06-2014, 08:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,098,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
And I am glad to have it back. The one at The District in Irvine has the best service of any In and Out too!

For those who left the West Coast and are now In and Out challenged, there are these:

• Five Guys
  • Sonic (yes, I know)
  • Fuddruckers
  • Steak n' shake
  • Carl's Jr/Hardees
  • White Castle (why do people like these in places like PA, someone please explain?)

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-06-2014 at 09:31 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,763,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
For those who left the west coast and are now Inn and Out challenged, there are these:

• Five Guys
  • Sonic (yes, I know)
  • Fuddruckers
  • Steak n' shake
  • Carl's Jr/Hardees
  • White Castle (why do people like these in places like PA, someone please explain?)
We have all of those here in Southern California except for "Steak and Shake" and "White Castle". I have eaten at both White Castle ( once was enough ) and Steak and Shake ( pretty good ).

I have eaten at In-N-Out many times all over California for many years. We have 1 just 5 minutes from my home. Their service has always been pretty consistently good everywhere which is not true of the others. In-N-Out pays more than the others and gets a better class of employee.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,435,900 times
Yes In and Out pays their mgrs 50k, not to shabby.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,058,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
For those who left the West Coast and are now In and Out challenged, there are these:

• Five Guys
  • Sonic (yes, I know)
  • Fuddruckers
  • Steak n' shake
  • Carl's Jr/Hardees
None of those is even close to a replacement for In-n-Out.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:12 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,973,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
None of those is even close to a replacement for In-n-Out.
Stake and Shake could give In-n-Out a dark horse run for the money. One of the few good things about living in the midwest.

Five Guys is just an over-priced In-n-Out knock off.

The rest aren't even in the same league.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,890,565 times
I am a southern California boy born in 50.
Spent time traveling the whole continent , some on foot some on rail come in the air and in vehicles. Mostly small towns and villages but a few major cities as well.
1. vulgarity.
most of the rest of the world can't speak english with out vulgarity .
It is rarely hears around here until you go to northern California. LA and above. One of the major factors I am hesitant to move out of state in spite of the problems.
2. distrust.
One is more likely to get help on the side of the road in southern California that any other state I have visited .
And if you ask for information in any other state , chances are it is misleading .
3. I have been to seminars on various subjects from social to mechanical .
People are fascinated that I would share skills with other people in the same business , to them it's like sharing secrets .
4. Now I don't know if its where I live or what but most people here know how to park in a parking spot between the lines.
but people every where else seem to need glasses and park across the lines. completely thoughtless .
5. I have seen the video of "wall mart people", but I have never seen any thing like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County