U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:01 AM

1,224 posts, read 591,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
It really depends......

I used to have a "South County bug" up my butt at one time (being raised a North County person myself) but that notion was dispelled one day in Ladera Ranch.....that's another story.

For some people, Irvine is the archetype "South County City" (though geographicaly it's right in the middle of the county) and anything there and points south is all the same to them (the typical plaint of "sterile, Stepford, boring", etc., especially in the commercial areas). But the coastal cities down south are a world unto themselves. No reason to trash people, though. (And there is lots of natural beauty in the South County).

There are people in South County who are convinced that there is no human life north of Irvine, either; that they will be drawn and quartered the moment they drive or step into Santa Ana (which they probably have done a number of times without even realizing it). So it works both ways, actually, though you do not yourself seem to hold that view of north and central county.

Some people, of course, may secretly want to live in Coto or Lake Forest or Mission Viejo but not be able to do it and therefore what they cannot have they ruin for other people.
Why do the majority of people hate any area? Their opinions are mostly based out of ignorance or things they watched on some reality TV show.

There was a guy who claimed to be from Tustin and said Laguna Niguel felt separated because the border of Laguna Niguel was "10 miles" from the coast, and it took forever to get to Laguna Beach. For anyone who lives in the area, they would know that's completely untrue. But it's that type of ignorance of an area that perpetuates the hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 11:07 AM

4,862 posts, read 3,075,144 times
I personally don't care where you live. The reason I believe NOC and SOC "hate" each other is because of the impression that anyone in SOC is a yuppie show off who must have THE condo or THE house or THE car kid has to go to THE school and they are simply better than anyone else because of who they are and where they live. SOC has a antiseptic feel both in location and some people have that I'm better than you attitude.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 AM

1,224 posts, read 591,819 times
Also you should check out the "Hate Irvine" thread. Even though it's Irvine-centric, a lot of the complaints apply to South OC. If you can ignore the hypocrisy that some of the criticism is actually coming from other South OC residents, it's actually a good read.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM

5,358 posts, read 6,300,303 times
I don't hate south county. I just wouldn't want to live there.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:09 PM

1,491 posts, read 722,481 times
As a reminder, people often live where they do for personal reasons. It is not for the reasons posited on this thread.

From my perspective, my personal gravitational orbit is far more centered on San Diego than most Orange County residents, whereas North County seems like a place more centered on LA. I don't go to North County nearly as often as I do to San Diego County. My situation is due to many personal reasons, most especially family. Were it not for these reasons, I would likely be in Huntington Beach or West LA.

But I never said I was unhappy with my choice in South County! Compared to other places, I found Laguna Niguel to be a bargain for what it offered. I came. I saw. I bought. It wasn't because I was "hatin' on" North County when I chose to live here.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,623,964 times
I think "hate" is a bit dramatic for the topic title.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM

4,862 posts, read 3,075,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I think "hate" is a bit dramatic for the topic title.

Dislike? People have misconceptions about everything.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:47 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,623,964 times
Maybe "make fun of" or "show derision." I could be wrong and out of touch with things though. It takes a lot more than location to elicit hate from me.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 2,286,600 times
Aloha everyone.. I am a native born Angeleno and plan on returning to California this Summer; I've just had it with this east coast thing. I'm just not that familiar with Orange County; except for Disneyland. So please explain North County and South County. I'm Considering Irvine as our destination, so I've been reading up on all of Orange County.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:18 PM

1,491 posts, read 722,481 times
Irvine, although centrally located, is considered South County.

There is a map of South County here. Here is a map of of North County. The differences are basically that the North is older and more established, while South County is newer, heavily planned and not as high in density. The northern portions are by LA whereas South County backs into Camp Pendleton and is bordered by the Santa Ana Mountains. The north tends to have more ethnic diversity; however, that is increasingly the case in South County as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County