Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,136 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!
I'm planning to go to occ and I would like to know your opinions.
Did you study there? Could you easily work and study? After finishing collage did you find job without much problems?
And which academics would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,069 times
Growing up in OC, OCC had the rep as being "extended high school." Purely my opinion, but I would look for other options unless you live close to it and plan to use it as a temp school - keep the grades high and transfer to a UC. As an employer, and given todays competitive job market, I can't imagine most employers would look for kids from OCC when UCI, Vanguard, Chapman, and CSUF are all within the general area.

Off topic, but since you're asking for academics, I don't feel college is worth it these days unless you get some science based degree (engineering, biology, computer programming, etc). If you aren't sure what you want to do, I would recommend going to OCC and figuring out which of these sciences you like and then pursuing it - just try to keep costs down so you aren't bombed with debt when you graduate. This next statement is probably going to ruffle some feathers for people who did this, but most liberal arts degrees aren't going to be worth the paper it's printed on and won't make you any more employable to most employers. If you don't like sciences, I would just get into the line of work you want as an internship and work your butt off so you can get that career path started - don't wait until college is done, do it now. If you enjoy doing a trade, like carpentry or being a mechanic, go to a specialized school in that and you'll be employable when you graduate.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:54 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Here are yelp reviews:
Orange Coast College - Costa Mesa, CA | Yelp
You can search any college.
Also, OCC has google reviews if you want to search for those, too.
There are some very strong Jr. Colleges in the CA system.
Check the reviews for others in the area.
Depending on what you goal is, I think taking general ed courses is fine to do at most JC's in southern CA. There are a few that are not really recommended.

If you want a job with an AA degree, you must study something that is employable-a vocational training or computer training. However, many fields are saturated with too many qualified people and pay is not that high.
IT Help Desk, Graphic Design etc, are included in this. I think software development and programmers are still in high demand and paying well-but it depends on the specific area/software and technology, so you must research well! If you are open to moving out of area/state for work, you may find higher pay and more opportunities/less competition, depending on the field.

Google median salaries for different careers in so cal to get an idea. You need to spend some time researching majors and look up career guides. Each college campus will also have a career center and career counselors; you can ask them how to proceed and which fields have more opportunity at the moment.

If you want prestige, then make sure you take a CC track that lets you into UCLA, UCSD, Berkeley, etc., if you plan to finish your BA. If just doing two year program, look for the size of the department/program [ie, how many classes they offer each semester, how many faculty they have, etc. You can find this info on each school's website by searching class schedule and catalog]. Find out how long the program has been established and be sure there won't be any cuts in the future-you can simply email or call and ask. Popular programs will vary by school; the more classes and majors offered within a particular field or category, the more established the field is at that particular school.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:42 PM

123 posts, read 260,057 times
Quote:
Orange Coast Collage
Quote:
And which academics would you recommend?
For you? Spelling 101.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,136 times
Thank you guys for response and tips! I really appreciate!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I went to OCC many years ago, but it was a bit like extended HS. Then I got serious, charted a plan, got the credits I needed to, and transferred to a UC school. CC to 4 year is a great way to save big $$$ and get the same sheepskin.

And yes I am one with a Liberal Arts degree that I completed in the 90's, would I go that route now, no. I would get a CS degree.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:30 AM

36 posts, read 67,825 times
OCC should be used as a stepping stone to get you to a CSU or UC. I actually would recommend going to OCC if you are not sure of what you want to do from a career standpoint yet. Much cheaper than what you would pay at a CSU or UC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County