Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,071 times

Advertisements

I work in irvine and my bf works in Costa Mesa so we're looking to move closer and thinking about long beach because I heard its the cheapest but I also heard there are a lot of bad parts. Looking for a 2 bedroom for around $1,100 a month. Anyone have any idea of complexes or at least areas around there that would be decent??or maybe even another city close by??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM

Actually meant to put Santa Ana instead of irvine.office is switching locations soon

Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times
Long Beach is very nice if you stay south of 7th Street (Belmont Shore, Naples, Alamitos Bay area) and near the University

The Area around CalState Long Beach / Bixby Village/Bixby Knolls is also very nice (it was passed of as a midwestern suburb in "Ferris Bueller". "Donnie Darko" lived in the same neighborhood.)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ong-beach.html

Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM

823 posts, read 1,784,001 times
Are you on the Westside of LA now, because moving to Long Beach to be closer to Santa Ana and Costa Mesa, it not really that close. And $1100/month for a 2 bed, I think, is hard to find. Rent is really expensive and I think 2 bedrms are a few hundred more

Long Beach is a big city and there are some bad areas--downtown, westside, north, central, Poly High area, LB City College PCH campus, west of traffic circle. Since you both work in OC, I think the eastern part of the city is best, but again, I double there's anything in your range in that area.

Why not try Costa Mesa or even Santa Ana (there are some nice areas of SA). Since you both work relatively close to one another, I would move much closer to work to cut down on the commute.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 PM

I think Costa Mesa is a lot more expensive so I heard and we actually live in deep riverside so long beach is a lot closer lol but I found a few places that fit our budget I think as long as I stick to for rent by owner rather than a company owned appartment complex then it's much cheaper

Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Add in the cost of fuel added mileage on vehicle and additional accelerated maintenance , time away from home sitting on the freeway not at home relaxing compared to moving closer and having a higher rent payment. I think some falsely rationalize lower rent and driving further as better than higher rent and living closer.
I don't know if you will find a two bed for 1100. I have a friend in Fountain Valley who is a manager of a apartment complex. She said the cheapest one bed she has is 1250.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 AM

823 posts, read 1,784,001 times
Yes, private landlords are a better bet than management companies. Riverside is cheaper, but such a long commute to OC! Costa Mesa has a lot of apts and areas that are not so great, so rent might be cheaper there? I hope you find something closer to work. Long Beach just seems so far. Santa Ana might sound scary, but there are actually some nice areas there. The city of Orange too--my first apt with hubby was in a very well-kept complex kinda next to the 55 and...Chapman Ave? It was right next door to a rollerskating rink. It was the cheapest apt I could find at the time that was in a good area. That was 8 years ago and they were raising the rent for my 1 bedrm to $1000, so I moved out and spent a little more to get a 2 bedrm, 1.5 bath in a safe, but not so pretty area of Westminster. I think $1100 for a 2 bed is hard to find, but you never know. Keep looking around

Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,245 times
I lived in Bluff Park, in a wonderful historic home two blocks from the ocean. If you are renting they have rentals in that area too.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:23 PM

89 posts, read 186,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
I lived in Bluff Park, in a wonderful historic home two blocks from the ocean. If you are renting they have rentals in that area too.
Yes indeed. From Belmont Shores through the Bluffs things are marvelous.

That said, if I had a job in Santa Ana, I'd probably live in the South Coast neighborhood of Santa Ana itself. Most people think it's part of Costa Mesa, but north of South Coast Plaza and the Performing Arts Center, it technically becomes Santa Ana pretty fast. Lots of nice apartment buildings--though I don't know what rents are!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:44 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
Yes indeed. From Belmont Shores through the Bluffs things are marvelous.

That said, if I had a job in Santa Ana, I'd probably live in the South Coast neighborhood of Santa Ana itself. Most people think it's part of Costa Mesa, but north of South Coast Plaza and the Performing Arts Center, it technically becomes Santa Ana pretty fast. Lots of nice apartment buildings--though I don't know what rents are!
I was just driving by South Coast mall today and crossed into Santa Ana a couple of blocks from the mall. Didn't know it was so close. Definitely a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County