Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:53 AM

40 posts, read 123,437 times

Advertisements

We have just moved to California from Georgia and Somethings are just different here....Example...I didnt know that you will get a ticket if you are talking on your cell phone and driving without a headset. Also what is a Millrose tax? Are there any other things that we should know of that are unique to California? or to Orange County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3piecechickendinner View Post
We have just moved to California from Georgia and Somethings are just different here....Example...I didnt know that you will get a ticket if you are talking on your cell phone and driving without a headset. Also what is a Millrose tax? Are there any other things that we should know of that are unique to California? or to Orange County
-Here's an explanation of Melo-Roos: Mello-Roos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Don't smoke anywhere.

-I think you only legally have a couple weeks to get your car smogged and registered, but just be sure when you go to the DMV to get your plates that you indicate on the application that you just brought your car into the state this week, to make sure they don't fine you lol!

-Coming from GA, make sure you put your front plate on the car or you'll get a ticket.

-They're called freeways, not highways.

-Don't say "y'all" or "fixin' ta"

-Learn to use chopsticks if you don't know how.

-Remember to complain about the cold if the high temp is below 65.

-Boob jobs, liposuction, and fake tans are highly encouraged.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 12,307 times
I moved here from Colorado I have been here since June 2013. One big piece of advice for your to do list is make an appointment to the DMV, or else you will be stuck hanging out in a huge line that wraps around the building. I also gotten pulled over for talking on my phone. I have realized CA isnt for me, I hope 4-5 months go by fast so i can leave

Old 03-04-2014, 08:44 PM

823 posts, read 1,770,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosby95 View Post
I moved here from Colorado I have been here since June 2013. One big piece of advice for your to do list is make an appointment to the DMV, or else you will be stuck hanging out in a huge line that wraps around the building. I also gotten pulled over for talking on my phone. I have realized CA isnt for me, I hope 4-5 months go by fast so i can leave
I would call the DMV first just to make sure you're prepared for the car registration and definitely make an appt if you need to go to the DMV. You can do that online. The DMV office has a kiosk where you can pay your registration and get the stickers, so it's very convenient. You also need car insurance to drive.

Regarding cell phone use while driving, a judge recently ruled that we can use the cell phone for GPS purposes, because the law states you can not hold a phone to talk while driving. The law does not say you can not hold the phone and navigate, they said, because back when the law was enacted phones were only used to talk on. I still wouldn't do it, but that was some crazy court judgment!

Parks and beaches close at night and if you're there after hours, you will be fined.

You only have to worry about mello-roos if you're going to buy a house.

If you have a dog, keep it on a leash. A random dog bite can be your worse nightmare.

Read parking signs if you're parking in a new area, especially in Los Angeles. There's street sweeping and other restrictions. Oh, and some crazy cities like Garden Grove and Westminster post their street sweeping signs at the entrance of neighborhoods (not always easy to see). On street sweeping days, you can not park anywhere in the neighborhood--anywhere! Long Beach at least lets you park on the other side, so watch out for the street sweepers.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,762,572 times
Most people use the garage for junk and park their cars outside, unless there are HOA rules. People say it is expensive here, but you can be as cheap as you want. Front tinted side windows are illegal. Join AAA for DMV services and you get a bunch of discounts on car rentals and hotels. Driving 6 hours to Vegas or the mountains for just the weekend is not unusual. You can live without an umbrella.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Mello Roos is a tax on property ownership that is the end result of raising bonds. Unless you're buying you don't need to worry

Forget DMV unless you make a appointment go get a AAA membership. Make sure you register your car and change Driver locense to california license

Tinted front windows are illegal but unless you go limo or really dark I have never been hassled for the lighter tint

Get used to this phenomenon called rush hour. Sort of a oxymoron

Mexican food is great

Can't drive and talk by holding a cell phone

Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,091,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosby95 View Post
I moved to Denver 9 years ago from SoCal. Can't wait to move back to California someday! Want to swap? lol!

Old 03-05-2014, 10:14 AM

40 posts, read 123,437 times
Yall(hahaha) have been very helpful...I have a small suv and the front windows are tinted, but its not a limo tint and you can see right in the car...Hope its ok...Why is it important to have AAA membership...Will definitely make appt with DMV

Old 03-05-2014, 12:54 PM

823 posts, read 1,770,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3piecechickendinner View Post
Yall(hahaha) have been very helpful...I have a small suv and the front windows are tinted, but its not a limo tint and you can see right in the car...Hope its ok...Why is it important to have AAA membership...Will definitely make appt with DMV
I used to be a member of AAA for the roadside assistance. That was helpful and it allowed me to register my car at their office and do a lot of other DMV type services there. Their lines are a lot shorter, so you're not wasting the entire day waiting to just get in the door! AAA offers discounts to various entertainment places--you probably know all their services.

I don't know how much membership is now, but I haven't had it for years and I've been fine. Well, maybe I'm missing out on some discounts, huh? I get roadside help through my car insurance company ("free") and I don't really go "out", so the kids are quite happy being deprived of Disneyland, Knotts, etc.

If you ever need to visit the DMV, just make an appt online. You can select the locations you want and see what appts are available. This is the only way to visit the office, otherwise you're looking at standing in a long line all day long. If you're in a rush, the San Pedro DMV has always been my life-saver. Their non-appointment lines are long also, but I can get an appt much faster than any other DMV location.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

-Don't say "y'all" or "fixin' ta"
He's kidding. That won't be a problem for you.

However, we tend to not start polite conversations with "What church do all y'all attend?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County