Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 31,461 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on going to a SoCal beach during my next trip to the DLR. I'm going on a Thursday, and I'm looking for a relatively close, clean, family friendly beach with places to eat. I've heard that Huntington, Seal, and Newport were all good ones, but I can't narrow it down. Entry fees aren't a problem.http://www.bediro.com/images/3/w1.png

Also, how should I get to the beach from Disneyland? Cab ride? I won't have a car and I'm not sure about transportation. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 06:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammes View Post
I'm planning on going to a SoCal beach during my next trip to the DLR. I'm going on a Thursday, and I'm looking for a relatively close, clean, family friendly beach with places to eat. I've heard that Huntington, Seal, and Newport were all good ones, but I can't narrow it down. Entry fees aren't a problem.

Also, how should I get to the beach from Disneyland? Cab ride? I won't have a car and I'm not sure about transportation. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!
If you can rent a car. Going to the beach by cab does not work well. If you have to cab it pick Newport...it is more urban.

For a day at the beach they are all relatively similar. I have a fondness for Seal Beach as I lived there many years. It is kind of down home. Huntington is more tourist and commercial - but still quite nice.

Newport is from a different drummer. I would perhaps describe it as a more adult beach. And the whole peninsula is alive after dark. If you like to party too much pick Newport.

note that you are considering big cab fares...40 or 50 each way. You may be able to pick up a car service that will take you and pick you up at a predetermined time for less.

Note that these are cool beaches. You freeze your butt off after dark.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:58 PM

9 posts, read 31,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If you can rent a car. Going to the beach by cab does not work well. If you have to cab it pick Newport...it is more urban.

For a day at the beach they are all relatively similar. I have a fondness for Seal Beach as I lived there many years. It is kind of down home. Huntington is more tourist and commercial - but still quite nice.

Newport is from a different drummer. I would perhaps describe it as a more adult beach. And the whole peninsula is alive after dark. If you like to party too much pick Newport.

note that you are considering big cab fares...40 or 50 each way. You may be able to pick up a car service that will take you and pick you up at a predetermined time for less.

Note that these are cool beaches. You freeze your butt off after dark.
Thank for information.http://www.bediro.com/images/3/w1.png

Old 03-08-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Thank for information.
I do apologize. I went through the same shock in the late 1960s when I took a cab from Beverly Hills to Anaheim. There are things one just does not do. And I was a well seasoned NYCer.

Note that the So CA beaches are relatively cool all the time. When the lovely ladies with the big boobs take the pictures on the beach they often have to suck ice cubes to keep from blowing smoke.

The water is cool to downright cold. I was an active participant but virtually always wore a wet suit. And I am pretty cold tolerant.

If you have time and the inclination go across to Catalina. Those are the only beaches that actually feel like what the non-Californians expect. Got to waste a day but you can work out the transport and all that...and you will have visited perhaps the best that so cal has to offer.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:08 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I do apologize. I went through the same shock in the late 1960s when I took a cab from Beverly Hills to Anaheim. There are things one just does not do. And I was a well seasoned NYCer.

Note that the So CA beaches are relatively cool all the time. When the lovely ladies with the big boobs take the pictures on the beach they often have to suck ice cubes to keep from blowing smoke.

The water is cool to downright cold. I was an active participant but virtually always wore a wet suit. And I am pretty cold tolerant.

If you have time and the inclination go across to Catalina. Those are the only beaches that actually feel like what the non-Californians expect. Got to waste a day but you can work out the transport and all that...and you will have visited perhaps the best that so cal has to offer.
What do you mean by this? I think beaches in san diego are very similar to what non californians expect...as are those in the OC-very similar to what you 'see on TV and in pictures'.

That said, for the OP:

All CA beaches are public and FREE. Except for state beaches (they only charge for vehicle entrance), but you can always find [and often have to due to lots being full] parking in the areas around them, usually residential or commercial neighorhoods, and parking is free there. Some metro beaches have meters nearby. You can pay or just drive a little further and find free parking.

I think it's going to be VERY costly to take a cab from disneyland. Renting a car is recommended. Map it out on google and account for rush hour traffic.
Also, depending on what kind of scene you are looking for, Laguna Beach is a little further than Seal beach, but absolutely stunning, great for families and many excellent restaurants in all price ranges with lots of happy hours [ie, great food prices, not just alcohol] available, ocean view seating, etc. Laguna Beach is recommended.
http://www.lagunabeachinfo.com/

As already mentioned, it's colder at night and late afternoons. So bring layers. And don't necessarily expect shorts and flip flop weather, though you might just get it [as we did today-lots of people at the beach, sunbathing and my kids got sunburned playing outside today.].

Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
What do you mean by this? I think beaches in san diego are very similar to what non californians expect...as are those in the OC-very similar to what you 'see on TV and in pictures'.

That said, for the OP:

All CA beaches are public and FREE. Except for state beaches (they only charge for vehicle entrance), but you can always find [and often have to due to lots being full] parking in the areas around them, usually residential or commercial neighorhoods, and parking is free there. Some metro beaches have meters nearby. You can pay or just drive a little further and find free parking.

I think it's going to be VERY costly to take a cab from disneyland. Renting a car is recommended. Map it out on google and account for rush hour traffic.
Also, depending on what kind of scene you are looking for, Laguna Beach is a little further than Seal beach, but absolutely stunning, great for families and many excellent restaurants in all price ranges with lots of happy hours [ie, great food prices, not just alcohol] available, ocean view seating, etc. Laguna Beach is recommended.
Laguna Beach Hotels, Restaurants, Attractions, and Vacation Information from Laguna Beach VCB

As already mentioned, it's colder at night and late afternoons. So bring layers. And don't necessarily expect shorts and flip flop weather, though you might just get it [as we did today-lots of people at the beach, sunbathing and my kids got sunburned playing outside today.].
Uhhh...were you listening? The idea that So. CA beaches are actually cool and not very comfortable is not shared by easterners. The beaches of both the east coast and the gulf coast are warm to hot. They do not understand 65 degree water and 68 degree air.

Laguna is very nice but is suicidal by taxi. It also is a place where getting to food etc. can be a problem. And are you talking about the town beach or the good beaches? That is for a more advanced beacher who has already worked Seal and Newport.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times
You could do the following:

From Disneyland, you would take the 10:00 a.m. Amtrak Express shuttle to the Anaheim Amtrak Station: Amtrak Express | Anaheim Resort Transportation. Current one-day adult pass is $5.00.

Then take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner to the San Clemente Pier station, leaving Anaheim at 10:30 a.m., arriving at the pier/beach at 11:17 a.m.

Return on the Surfliner from the pier to the Anaheim Amtrak Station, leaving San Clemente at 5:21 p.m., arriving Anaheim at 6:08 p.m.

Take the Amtrak Express shuttle leaving at 7:00 p.m. back to Disneyland.

Total current Amtrak Surfliner cost for one person: $34.00 roundtrip.

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner website: Pacific Surfliner - Amtrak California

The train drops you off right at the pier, basically right on the sand. It's a nice beach, lots of surfers to watch, the pier to walk on and watch the people fishing, a nice indoor/outdoor restaurant, Fisherman's, right on the pier, a few places to shop/eat on the street behind the pier area, and it's very family friendly.

You can read the Yelp reviews of the pier/beach/area here - there are lots of pictures: San Clemente Pier - San Clemente, CA | Yelp

More pics: https://www.google.com/search?q=san+...=isch&imgdii=_

You can also watch the beach cam which does a 180 view of the beach/pier/train tracks/train-when-it-goes-by here: San Clemente Beach Camera

There is also a train that leaves Anaheim a little earlier if you want to spend more time, and there is also one that comes back to Anaheim a little earlier if you want.

Pic of the schedule for March 20th in case it helps:

I used to live there and think it's a nice beach - love the pier and Fisherman's (great drinks). Of course, if you are not traveling alone, this would probably be cost-prohibitive.

And in case anybody asks, I did check for the Metrolink, thinking it might be cheaper, but they don't have any return trips from San Clemente Pier to Anaheim in the afternoon/evening during the week.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
I'm planning on going to a SoCal beach during my next trip to the DLR. I'm going on a Thursday, and I'm looking for a relatively close, clean, family friendly beach with places to eat. I've heard that Huntington, Seal, and Newport were all good ones, but I can't narrow it down. Entry fees aren't a problem.

Why'd you post this in the L.A. forum instead of the O.C. forum? Disneyland's not in L.A.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
Newport is my fav 38th and seashore, down by the pier is fun to walk around. HB is great, alot more sand than NB. The pier at HB is definitely worth a look gives you the classic OC beach feel. Bring wetsuit 3mm in winter and spring in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County