Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,306,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Should we tell her that Laguna Beach has its share of Section 8 housing, a few run-down looking areas on Laguna Canyon Road, and some homeless folks?

You can't beat perfection , so Florida does sound like the best fit for her.
Beat me to it, a lot of transplants only see with rose tinted glasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 06:32 PM

805 posts, read 1,558,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
Dana is seedy?????
Silly isn't it. And a house down the street from me, here in seedy North Tustin/Lemon Heights just sold for 1.6mm.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
'Seedy' N. Tustin (near the library I assume??)

An area overflowing with gorgeous houses in an area which is extremely safe and with excellent schools?

Suffice it to say that you can indeed get a lot more house for your money in N. Tustin or Tustin Ranch than in any waterfront community anywhere in Orange County or anywhere else in the lower 48 states.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Ok Marcella, I am interested in knowing where you ended up.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 AM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craezie View Post
I am not in your price range, but definitely think similarly about all of the places you describe. The issue mentioned about regarding the dense fog was not a small one for me. I lived in Huntington Beach near the ocean for several years, and found myself fleeing inland because I just could not take the marine layer. The time of year you visited in the winter actually has a lot less of it. You will be under clouds for at least half the day almost every day from late spring through fall. During May-mid July, its actually almost the whole day.

Also, make sure you are happy with the traffic. It is also at a low point this time of year, but will be absolutely horrendous all summer. There are only 3 ways out of LB. They will all be jammed a lot of the time.

My advice is get a beautiful huge home in Laguna Hills/ Nellie Gail. Not all of the neighborhoods are horse--drive up the hill more and they are just beautiful estates. Enjoy the huge yard, your own pool, smaller schools, sunnier weather, and proximity to Target (and the freeway, should you need to work). Drive to Laguna Beach 15 minutes away whenever you feel like it.
I agree about the dense fog by the beach. If you are used to sunny days, you may find the cloud cover depressing, like I did. Same thing with the cold water in the ocean and in pools, opposite of east coast living.

We moved inland so we could be in the sun with warmer weather. And I'm sure you experienced the cold nights by the beach? Last year, 4th of July, was at Newport Beach with the grandkids watching outdoor night time movies and we were frozen, wearing coats and wrapped in blankets. Not my idea of summer fun.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:43 AM

63 posts, read 230,324 times
Hi First I want to clarify that I do not mean to offend or put down anyone or their hometown. No place is perfect. We love and enjoy Miami, but it has it's problems too, problems I could live with and laugh at even. It gives the city character. However, given the choice, who wouldn't learn and say "next time let's get away from that". Miami is fun, colorful, and diverse. It is also seedy. (Please don't get stuck on the words people!) and I will take a bit of personality over sterile any day. What I mean (and yes perhaps I could choose better word) is that one street has great, well maintained homes (money or no money matters very little. Love and pride for your property makes it beautiful and charming either way) the very next street can have abandoned looking properties. When I didn't have kids, this didn't bother me much, but as a mom these questionable neighbors make me keep my children too close to home.

I liked Dana Point, I liked Tustin, all areas have great homes many which I can not afford, but people look at greatschools.com and read your local high school reviews. If you don't like what you read then don't get offended, do something to fix it.

We were on the fence over Newport Beach and Laguna Beach. My husband visited Corona del Mar High school and felt it was too big compared to what my girls are used to. Laguna Beach won my heart anyways and their schools are smaller and perform well. It's totally an emotional decision that does not make sense in so many ways. We will have to compromise. We do have our eye on two properties there, but we still have to sell our house so we are not ready to take action yet. We will have to wait and see if these, or maybe something new, is on the market when we are ready to pull the trigger. Hopefully soon! I have to be there when school starts! As far as the marine layer, I run in the mornings, so I think I will enjoy it. If we hate it, we will sell it and move. While not easy, not the end of the world either.

Thanks again for all your opinions. I really do appreciate the feedback.

PS Nellie Gail is runner up

Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Ok, good for you then!

Old 04-14-2014, 01:17 AM

521 posts, read 733,442 times
Great choice(s)! Good luck!

Old 04-14-2014, 08:45 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Nellie Gail is downright wonderful; a superb choice indeed.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM

389 posts, read 916,840 times
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. Best wishes for a smooth sale of your current home and purchase of a new one (wherever that may be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County